20mph residential speed limit (replacing 30mph)

Associate
It's fundamentally exploitative a rarely are the 20 limits I now see circumstantially based. I't slike the rad lefties are just taking over everything that used to make sense and allow some progress and turning it all into a mire of ridiculous.

Man of Honour
you are right - experience cars sitting on my shoulder waiting for a gap and then crawl past too close.

I'm surprised they even wait - recently was a cyclist on the main road in front of me and I think only one out of about a dozen cars ahead didn't just brush past and I got beeped at for waiting for an appropriate place to go past with sufficient space and then I could see most vehicles behind me not even budging over.

gEd

gEd

Associate
What is this thread about?
There are speed limits of 70,60,50,40,30 and 20mph.
Are people complaining that 20mps is "too low?"
If so, talk to your MP - democracy in action...
(yes I have a speed limiter and use it in 20mph zones)

Man of Honour
Are people complaining that 20mps is "too low?"

No - people are complaining about inappropriate implementation of 20 MPH limits and hoping not to see more widespread use of them based on agendas/wrong reasons. Pretty much no one has a problem when they are used appropriately to protect higher than normal risk areas.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No - people are complaining about inappropriate implementation of 20 MPH limits and hoping not to see more widespread use of them based on agendas/wrong reasons. Pretty much no one has a problem when they are used appropriately to protect higher than normal risk areas.
Exactly. Near a school? No problem. In an accident prone area? Sure. Down a narrow residential street? OK.

But they have been rolled out as blanket default speed limits across some entire areas which is not OK.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
This thread feels like it’s mostly populated by a bunch of people who are trying to feel better about breaking the speed limit by having a “group think” moment.

The answer that it’s not.
You’re not only breaking the law, you’re also setting an example that it’s OK to ignore rules of the road. Driving standards have seemingly gone to poop. My guess is that the lemmings have seen enough examples by “the entitled” and believe that they should do the same.

I wouldn’t mind, but where I live, it’s difficult to maintain a 20mph average, meaning that the entitled don’t get to their destination any faster, just to the next red light or traffic queue.

Soldato
This thread feels like it’s mostly populated by a bunch of people who are trying to feel better about breaking the speed limit by having a “group think” moment.

The answer that it’s not.
You’re not only breaking the law, you’re also setting an example that it’s OK to ignore rules of the road. Driving standards have seemingly gone to poop. My guess is that the lemmings have seen enough examples by “the entitled” and believe that they should do the same.

I wouldn’t mind, but where I live, it’s difficult to maintain a 20mph average, meaning that the entitled don’t get to their destination any faster, just to the next red light or traffic queue.

near half a million in Wales have signed a petition wanting it gone and there are only 1.6 million drivers in Wales so it is a large chunk and does not include all those who did not sign it for various reasons. Calling people lemmings and entitled is not an accurate description of what is happening in these zones in Wales.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People who are happy to speed won't care about a 20mph speed limit. They will still speed whether it is 30 or 20. It's the rest of us, that don't speed, that are most affected by the unreasonably low limit in some areas.

Soldato
People who are happy to speed won't care about a 20mph speed limit. They will still speed whether it is 30 or 20. It's the rest of us, that don't speed, that are most affected by the unreasonably low limit in some areas.
Don't let logic and facts get in the way of peoples feelings now.. :D

Associate
20mph a cyclist is probably going to hurt more than a car. Soft plastic bumper and large thin metal surface area on a car, or a solid skull and thin metal bars on cycle.

Like being hit by the bony knuckles of a twelve year old girl will hurt more than Tyson Fury's big soft boxing glove?

Ignoring basic concepts of physics such as mass and kinetic energy, obviously.

Soldato
Like being hit by the bony knuckles of a twelve year old girl will hurt more than Tyson Fury's big soft boxing glove?

Ignoring basic concepts of physics such as mass and kinetic energy, obviously.

There is a reason boxing gloves are used, even though they add weight behind a punch. I'd rather be hit by a large deformable thing than a metal bar or a skull at equal speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bike will hit you with considerably less energy and have considerably less inertia than a car. If you can’t see why that would be advantageous, I’d suggest you go back to school then to learn more about physics ;)

The bike can slow down and stop quicker and is likely to be going slower at the point of impact. Likewise the bike is considerably less ‘solid’ than a car, its parts and riders are all on leavers which move and deflect the forces on impact.

It’s rider and the pedestrian are likely to have better visibility of each other and avoid each other altogether.

Soldato
A bike will hit you with considerably less energy and have considerably less inertia than a car. If you can’t see why that would be advantageous, I’d suggest you go back to school then to learn more about physics ;)

The bike can slow down and stop quicker and is likely to be going slower at the point of impact. Likewise the bike is considerably less ‘solid’ than a car, its parts and riders are all on leavers which move and deflect the forces on impact.

It’s rider and the pedestrian are likely to have better visibility of each other and avoid each other altogether.

Actually a car can stop in a shorter distance, often much shorter. The brakes are far more powerful relative to their weight and they have ABS.

If you brake checked a cyclist at around 30mph, even with a couple of cars gap, they are going in to the back of you :p

Last edited:
Soldato

Bit of a check here, cars are designed to absorb pedestrian energy. Bikes arn't, locallised pressure of a handle bar on a child skull is likely to be worse than a soft deformable bumper and bonnet surface.

You dont need to go back to school to learn about Physics, you are getting a free lesson from me.

jpaul you can Google VPI for a few hours to keep you quiet.

Last edited:
Associate
Actually a car can stop in a shorter distance, often much shorter. The brakes are far more powerful relative to their weight and they have ABS.

True, but nothing to do with braking power. Even a rim brake on a bike has enough power to lift the back wheel off the ground, which is the point of maximum deceleration. Better brakes or more grip won't help at all. The limit is due to the relatively high centre of gravity, bracing the arms and keeping the weight as far back as possible increases it.

I looked up the numbers a while back and a cyclist can manage about 0.5G before the point where they go over the handlebars. Typical cars can manage between 0.7 and 1G.

Back
Top Bottom