***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
I wonder if anyone has could help with this problem. A mate of mine just picked up a acer xr341ck and a fury x. He is having a problem with the monitor displaying black borders around the image. CCC is not showing overscan options.
He has tried the following. All drivers all the way back to the point of incompatibility. Single monitor, low framerate, high framerate, 1920x1080, lower and higher. CCC wrangling through every possible alteration and variation possible. Complete resets of all files, reinstalls of drivers and resets of everything installed related to the monitor short of a Windows reinstall.

Any ideas for a solution?

Its part of the design, its not a completely borderless display

You have, as eazyrider says, about a 1cm border around the whole display. It is normal.

It is about an inch of black border all the way round plus a small bezel, will try and get a pic.up this evening.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18716350&highlight=username_born_2_kill_83

Read down the above thread, we had a right laugh at the last plonker that thought this.

Associate
Arguably 10bit will not make for better colours than 8bit unless the content you choose to view is outputting at 10bit. Some.might argue differently but that is my understanding. For games and such an 8bit panel would be fine....that being said if 10bit alternatives such as this are no more...then win win!

Associate
I just wanted to share with you my little experience with a dual AOC U3477PQU setup.

Nothing really about the setup itself rather than about the "one problem" that apparently affects these guys: the buzz&pop they make when they're warming up. Apparently lots of people are (understandably) scared by it and probably pulled from buying one (or two
emot-v.gif
) but here's what: it's not a monitor's fault. I still don't know exactly what it is but I suspect windows energy and service management is to be held responbible for that.

Very short explanation: I initially had one of these guys, it did buzz&pop at every startup. Nothing I was worried about but it did happen. Always! Then I bought the second one and made it my primary. Now the new one buzz&pops and the first one immediately stopped doing it as soon as it became secondary. Like 0 times, never, ever it did buzz&pop any longer. Science prevents bugged electronic to fix itself overnight so I can't honestly believe it was a monitor's fault in the first place. Again, science!

Then I found this workaround that may tell you something: disable the monitor's audio from the "playback devices" list in windows. This may not completely fix the issue but reduce it remarkably. In my case, it almost completetely fixed it, and I'm talking on the primary of course.

TL;DR: if your AOC U3477PQU buzz&pops at startup disable the monitor's audio (and curse windows). Enjoy! :cool:

csFdX7yl.jpg

w9haRtxl.jpg

Caporegime
Arguably 10bit will not make for better colours than 8bit unless the content you choose to view is outputting at 10bit. Some.might argue differently but that is my understanding. For games and such an 8bit panel would be fine....that being said if 10bit alternatives such as this are no more...then win win!

Ahh, I see. Ta. :)

I'm reallllly temped to grab a Z35, would I be mad? whats more important, pixel density or the aspect ratio if you had to choose?

I currently own a 24" 1080p screen that I'm quite happy with but really want the 21:9 aspect ratio, and with the lower res I will be able to play any new game for years to come on a single GPU, plus it has G-Sync, 144Hz etc, and I really like the extra large curve....mmmmmm

Associate
Don't go Z35, just not the Z35. It's 1080p and VA (and 200hz not 144 btw), both of which are total no go on 21:9 35''

If you have that money to spend, you can go to town with the X34 or the ROG and never look back.

Caporegime
Don't go Z35, just not the Z35. It's 1080p and VA (and 200hz not 144 btw), both of which are total no go on 21:9 35''

If you have that money to spend, you can go to town with the X34 or the ROG and never look back.

Out of interest, does VA sit in between TN and IPS for quality? :)

Associate
I don't know what you mean since they're basically 3 different technologies but each one has its pros and cons. Specifically VA have a monster contrast ratio, which brings to (supposedly) perfect blacks and.... guess what.... contrasts
emot-v.gif
. They became quite "the thing" when people found out that they don't suffer of backligh bleed while the very early samples of these 21:9 IPS panels where honestly embarassing in the regard. Problem is that VA panels come with their own load of issues like slower response time, color banding and the infamous VA cones which basically means that your super duper black screen is black in front of you but goes bloom all around your point of view. Something like this

zNVIwvcl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
VA does not have "perfect" blacks, the only screen tech. to have "perfect" blacks is OLED. However, VA is a **** load better than TN & IPS for blacks and contrast ratio (which does make a substantial difference with dark content)

IPS is probably the best "overall" panel type atm, the only real downside with it can be IPS glow (depends on your brightness + room lighting + angle that you view the screen from)

TN is the fastest for "overall" response, in other words, usually a bit better for motion clarity.

IMO, unless you are really into your fast paced FPS shooters i.e. CS GO or motion clarity really bothers you, you can't beat a good quality IPS or even VA monitor (only VA screen I would look at would be the Samsung 34" 1440 one though...)

Back
Top Bottom