• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 FE thermal pad replacement success!

Associate
Howdy folks,

After seeing some outrageous temps on my 3090 FE, not to mention the jet engine-like noises it was making as a result (loud enough to be heard from a different room with the door closed), I decided I needed to do something about it. Did a bit of reading and was astonished to find some of these premium flagship cards have shipped with garbage thermal pads. So, with some trepidation, I took it apart and replaced them - very carefully. And it seems to have worked.

GPU temp: 74°C --> 71°C.
GPU memory junction temp: 110°C (!) --> 82°C.
GPU hot spot temp: 93°C --> 84°C.

These temps were obtained after 3x FurMark benches, followed by half an hour or so of the Final Fantasy XIV Dawntrail benchmark on loop. No artifacting or odd behaviour - everything seems tickety-boo. A couple of hours real gaming have also revealed no issues. And the card is now damn near silent even under heavy load.

Quietly pleased with myself!

Soldato
What thermal paste did you use? Keep an eye on that GPU hotspot temp. If the delta from GPU temp to GPU hotspot temp rises above 15 degrees, your thermal paste is pumping out.

If it does, look into PTM 7950 as it won't pump out.

Associate
OP
Nice, I have been considering doing the same with my 3090 FE, just didn't have it in me to take it apart.

Which thermal pads did you replace them with?

Thanks
I used a combination of Gelid Extreme 1.5mm and 2mm on the front side, and 1.5mm Thermalright Odyssey Extreme on the back.

Went with Arctic MX-6 paste on the core.

There's an excellent guide on Reddit, and also one on youtube (from a crypto guy) on how to do this - between the two, I had all the info I need. The guide which said put 2mm on the back was incorrect for my card; they were too thick.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What thermal paste did you use? Keep an eye on that GPU hotspot temp. If the delta from GPU temp to GPU hotspot temp rises above 15 degrees, your thermal paste is pumping out.

If it does, look into PTM 7950 as it won't pump out.
Arctic MX-6. Hotspot looks ok to me, I put thermal pads on that area, but I'll be monitoring temps for a little while yet!

Soldato
3080FE were fine, it was the vRam chips on the back of the 3090 that weren't being cooled that was the issue. 3090Ti fixed this as the ram density doubled and they could put all chips on the front of the card.

stock pads depending on the game for example red dead 2 vram was hitting well into the 90s yes still within spec but didnt feel comfortable with it, and hitting 110c with eth mining and throttling :p

replaced pads vram stuggles to get past 80c :) and thats when fully stressed

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to do this but didn't bother in the end as with a nice undervolt curve my mem junction temps (the scary one) rarely go above 90c. If left at stock it used to be high but never as high as the OPs.

It really is daft to run a 3090FE at stock, undervolting is king.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was going to do this but didn't bother in the end as with a nice undervolt curve my mem junction temps (the scary one) rarely go above 90c. If left at stock it used to be high but never as high as the OPs.

It really is daft to run a 3090FE at stock, undervolting is king.
Interesting, does undervolting just achieve lower temps? Or are there other effects?

Soldato
Howdy folks,

After seeing some outrageous temps on my 3090 FE, not to mention the jet engine-like noises it was making as a result (loud enough to be heard from a different room with the door closed), I decided I needed to do something about it. Did a bit of reading and was astonished to find some of these premium flagship cards have shipped with garbage thermal pads. So, with some trepidation, I took it apart and replaced them - very carefully. And it seems to have worked.

GPU temp: 74°C --> 71°C.
GPU memory junction temp: 110°C (!) --> 82°C.
GPU hot spot temp: 93°C --> 84°C.

These temps were obtained after 3x FurMark benches, followed by half an hour or so of the Final Fantasy XIV Dawntrail benchmark on loop. No artifacting or odd behaviour - everything seems tickety-boo. A couple of hours real gaming have also revealed no issues. And the card is now damn near silent even under heavy load.

Quietly pleased with myself!
got pics of the install of the new pads? it be good to see them compared to the old ones.

Back
Top Bottom