3D Printer for home user, is it worth it ?

Soldato
3d printer for a home user is it worth it ?
I've wanted to give 3d printers a go since it they came out, but at the time I thought they are too small to make anything useful and the cost is too hight just to play with and try out, you have the cost of the machine the the filament. even now im not sure the cost is worth it because its not something that would be used mush after the first play. im not even sure what i would do with it after the novelty.
I can see making a lot of bits I've broken, like plastic clips I've broken, a chess board of my design or silly things like that but is it cost affective in the end. I mean I use a laser printer a few times a month and it cost little to use.

Some questions
1. Are you a home user ?
2. is it worth it ?
3. Did you buy new or used ?
4. Do you use the 3d printer ?
5. what do you use you printer for ?
6. is it cost affective ?
7. what pushed you to buy one ?
8. what advice would you give someone considering getting one.
9 is it still quite expensive ?
10. how do you scan things ?
11. How did you find things ?
12. what is a good printer is a good printer to start out with ?
13. is it better to buy new or used ?
14. what is a good model and price range to look at for a first model to try out when I'm not sure ?
15. what mistake did you make when first starting out, any advice for other ?
16. How are things going so far for you with the printer, what was the learning curve, and what would you advice to do and avoid
17. Could I make large items or is it restricted to small items.
18. how much space would I need ? with a smallish house
19. For someone new, what advice would you give on getting a printer, New, used, types addons ?

Last edited:
Associate
1) yes
2) in my opinion it is
3) bought a flashforge dreamer in 2020
4) yes, want to make it a bit quieter so I an use it for longer periods without it being as obtrusive
5) been a mix of upgraded for the printer, cutting jigs, dust covers, component storage bins & project boxes, a holder to stop my phone sliding about on the charge pad in the car, weird shaped desk grommets, camera and phone stands. The list really goes on and on...

Soldato
OP
1) yes
2) in my opinion it is
3) bought a flashforge dreamer in 2020
4) yes, want to make it a bit quieter so I an use it for longer periods without it being as obtrusive
5) been a mix of upgraded for the printer, cutting jigs, dust covers, component storage bins & project boxes, a holder to stop my phone sliding about on the charge pad in the car, weird shaped desk grommets, camera and phone stands. The list really goes on and on...
Thanks, How did you find things ?

Associate
Some questions
1. Are you a home user ?
Yes
2. is it worth it ?
No
Gifted and also bought new
not anymore
Testing and YouTube Videos
No
NA
Unless you make a lot of stuff, cheaper to paid others to do it
Much cheaper now and machine are more precise
Never had a scanner
Thingyverse

Tywoo Tycoon Max 3D, Tenlog TL D3, Creality Halot ONE

Did made some money making custom light box etc but overall just fun and printing useless stuff around the house :)

Man of Honour
1. Are you a home user ?
2. is it worth it ?

I'm a home user, as to whether it is worth it that is mixed - I don't use it that often, mostly due to lack of a proper place to have it setup but it is great being able to print out custom bits and pieces and/or prototypes for projects, etc. that side in its own way is invaluable. Personally I picked up a relatively cheap Monoprice (they are also sold under other brands like Malyan but no idea if they are the same quality) 3D printer which is largely plug and play other than messing about a bit with the bed.

Personally I create the 3D models from scratch for the most part using either basic CAD or basic 3D modelling software. Amongst the stuff I've printed includes custom front panels for electronic projects, custom mounting plates for routers and stuff like that and have messed about with custom chess pieces, etc.

You have to be aware of the limits though - average filament especially PLA doesn't tend to like exposure to the elements much, will eventually breakdown if exposed to water and warp in warmer weather in direct sunlight, printed parts can be brittle depending on filament used so not good for stuff like latches and clips especially if intended for repeated use - though some filaments work better towards that kind of use than others.

As an aside on the chess piece topic - I actually printed out a placeholder 3D model of a chess piece from a set of placeholders I'd done for an old video game years ago, so not optimised for 3D printing, and was gob smacked when it printed it without supports on the overhanging bits - I really didn't think that would come off:

Fce27wx.jpg

(On the left is the 3D model cut out from the modelling program)

Last edited:
Associate
1. Are you a home user ? Yup
2. is it worth it ? For me yes
3. Did you buy new or used ? New
4. Do you use the 3d printer ? Currently yes, but it sometimes goes for a month without being turned on, then used loads and repeat.
5. what do you use you printer for ? Making storage, custom clips/holders for things, few toys.
6. is it cost affective ? Eventually it would be but for the odd thing you can just get someone else to print it.
7. what pushed you to buy one ? Fun thing to learn and play with.
8. what advice would you give someone considering getting one? Borrow one if you can for a bit, I do think for lots of people they will sit and gather dust.
9 is it still quite expensive ? My Creality V3 SE was incredible value at about £135 from aliexpress and 2kg of plastic for around £25 means prices have dropped heavily for a simple setup.
10. how do you scan things ? I dont
11. How did you find things ? Printables/thingiverse or design on tinkercad as I havent leanrt to use a "proper" modelling tool yet.

Associate
Thanks, How did you find things ?
6. Yes, both in terms of like for like part cost and avoiding making the things by hand that I don't have the skills to do manually without having quite a few goes at it. Though as you cannsee I've printed quite a lot of stuff at this point so the amortisation rate is pretty good by this point.
7. A large part of it was I got it dirt cheap from the manufacturer when they had a flash sale and I was furloughed and looking for something to do that felt productive. I had spent a few years havijg that gadget-itch but being out off by the cost of the printer.
8. I agree that borrowing one is the best way to see if it will be worth buying. If you are only going to be printing a couple of things then it's not worth it but if you keep finding yourself in the situation where printingnitem x would have been cheaper in filament and electricity than buying one or you couldn't buy the item or it saves you a load of time then it's time to buy one. Also you need to be aware of the limitations of what you print vs loads applied (there's some good graphics for load application for FDM printers) and finish detail (high detail items like minis will be far better on a resin printer).
9. I've managed to cut the price of filament by 75% (official filament from flashforge is about £20 for 500g, the last batch I got was £12 for a 1kg spool) and the 2 rolls that came with it were mostly spent making the bits to facilitate the 1kg spools.
The last thing I designed and printed was £2.20 in electricity and filament vs £50 in a remade item and the tools to modify it to what I needed.
10. I don't, parts either come as redesigned or pre-written from thingiverse or I design them in CAD (Design Spark or OpenSCAD, looking to move away from Design Spark)

Soldato
OP
I've never really thought It would have been useful if I had a 3d printer to print something but then again its not something that normally would come to mind even if you need something that could be printed.

if I was to jump in for just a one off to try, to see if its something that could be useful, what should I look for, what should I pay, what should I expect ?

4. Do you use the 3d printer ? Currently yes, but it sometimes goes for a month without being turned on, then used loads and repeat.
5. what do you use you printer for ? Making storage, custom clips/holders for things, few toys.
6. is it cost affective ? Eventually it would be but for the odd thing you can just get someone else to print it.
8. what advice would you give someone considering getting one? Borrow one if you can for a bit, I do think for lots of people they will sit and gather dust.
9 is it still quite expensive ? My Creality V3 SE was incredible value at about £135 from aliexpress and 2kg of plastic for around £25 means prices have dropped heavily for a simple setup.
11. How did you find things ? Printables/thingiverse or design on tinkercad as I havent leanrt to use a "proper" modelling tool yet.
I was thinking the same so I thought I would ask.

6. Yes, both in terms of like for like part cost and avoiding making the things by hand that I don't have the skills to do manually without having quite a few goes at it. Though as you cannsee I've printed quite a lot of stuff at this point so the amortisation rate is pretty good by this point.
7. A large part of it was I got it dirt cheap from the manufacturer when they had a flash sale and I was furloughed and looking for something to do that felt productive. I had spent a few years havijg that gadget-itch but being out off by the cost of the printer.
8. I agree that borrowing one is the best way to see if it will be worth buying. If you are only going to be printing a couple of things then it's not worth it but if you keep finding yourself in the situation where printingnitem x would have been cheaper in filament and electricity than buying one or you couldn't buy the item or it saves you a load of time then it's time to buy one. Also you need to be aware of the limitations of what you print vs loads applied (there's some good graphics for load application for FDM printers) and finish detail (high detail items like minis will be far better on a resin printer).
9. I've managed to cut the price of filament by 75% (official filament from flashforge is about £20 for 500g, the last batch I got was £12 for a 1kg spool) and the 2 rolls that came with it were mostly spent making the bits to facilitate the 1kg spools.
The last thing I designed and printed was £2.20 in electricity and filament vs £50 in a remade item and the tools to modify it to what I needed.
10. I don't, parts either come as redesigned or pre-written from thingiverse or I design them in CAD (Design Spark or OpenSCAD, looking to move away from Design Spark)
Thank you.

Associate
1. Are you a home user ?
Yes
2. is it worth it ?
Yes if you can think of things you could do with it. In my opinion they are cheap, around £200 new, add another few hundred and you can get a real good printer. Filament cheap as well £15-20 a roll and you get loads. Though if you are just going to be printing stuff you found on Thingiverse from time to time you might get bored fast and it’ll sit there collecting dust.
New
Few times a week on average
5. What do you use you printer for ?
Print stuff for around the house, containers, DIY stuff, replacement parts, storage/organisation, plant pots, toys, artwork, gifts for friends and family. Learnt CAD and hoping to make something out of providing models/patreon. Not much interest yet though :(
If you get cheap one yes
Boredom/new hobby during covid.
Get a current gen Bambu or Prusa it’ll work out of box. Other very cheap ones might need to tinker, levelling bed etc.
To go with it learn how to model in CAD so you can create and print your own stuff, it’s so rewarding!
9. is it still quite expensive ?
no very cheap these days
Don’t have one, probably won’t get one as I can pretty much model anything from a few photographs and measurements.
Printables and Thingiverse for existing models. Fusion360 to create my own from scratch.

Last edited:
Associate
1. Are you a home user ?
Yes

2. is it worth it ?
Yes

New

Yes

Printing Warhammer bits, models, terrain

Yes

A friend had one and convinced me to try it

Decide on whether a resin or filament printer is best for your needs

Not really

I don't

Cults and Yeggi, plus backing designers on Patreon

Last edited:
Associate
1. Are you a home user ?
Yes

2. is it worth it ?
Yes, I think so - I expect I will always have one

2x new (Ender 3 Pro and Bambu P1S/AMS)

Yes

All sorts, organisation, silly fun things for family, electronics enclosures

Whether it covers the full investment I can't say, but I definitely print things that I would have possibly bought previously

Being able to get the E3P for ~£130 and see what the fuss was about end of 2020

Decide if you are interested in being able to print things, or want something to tinker with - a lot of the modern mid price printers are very close to fire and forget now

Like with many hobbies there can be a big rabbit hole to fall down, but once you have a reasonable printer (or a well setup cheap one) the material cost is fairly minimal

Although I have a scanner, I haven't got round to properly using it yet

Printables is my main source, but Thangs/Thingiverse/many more sources exist - plus getting into designing things yourself is very rewarding (I am still only just starting here)

Soldato
3d printer for a home user is it worth it ?
I've wanted to give 3d printers a go since it they came out, but at the time I thought they are too small to make anything useful and the cost is too hight just to play with and try out, you have the cost of the machine the the filament. even now im not sure the cost is worth it because its not something that would be used mush after the first play. im not even sure what i would do with it after the novelty.
I can see making a lot of bits I've broken, like plastic clips I've broken, a chess board of my design or silly things like that but is it cost affective in the end. I mean I use a laser printer a few times a month and it cost little to use.

Some questions
1. Are you a home user ? Yes
2. is it worth it ? Depends how you're measuring it - purely financially? Probably not, but I'm a tinkerer, I love gadgets, so it's another "toy" for me to play with - the fact I can use it to make useful things is a bonus
3. Did you buy new or used ? New - I was considering a used one from the MM on here, but then I saw I could get an Ender 3 V3 SE for £173
4. Do you use the 3d printer ? I've only had it a few weeks, but yes, so far I've made a couple of plant pots, and some card & token organisers for a couple of board games (plus the obligatory desk figurines :p). I'm also in the process of designing a drain cover, a bracket for a wardrobe clothes rail, and some brackets for LED light strips. I also need to print some mounts for a "frunk" for my car
5. what do you use you printer for ? As above, useful little parts, plus the odd "cool" model or so
6. is it cost affective ? See the answer to Q2
7. what pushed you to buy one ? Been interested in getting one for a while - as above, I like to tinker with things. Didn't realise they'd gotten so cheap, and couldn't resist when I found one for < £200
8. what advice would you give someone considering getting one. Don't expect to be able to just download models and print them perfectly, it takes quite a lot of tweaking to get the settings just right, and this will vary depending on the material you're printing. It might be better on more expensive/higher end printers, but on mine at least, it takes a little bit of trial and error to get a good result. If you just want perfect prints every time with minimal effort, it's probably better to just order the parts, and let someone else deal with the "headache" of getting the settings right.
9 is it still quite expensive ? As above, the Ender 3 V3 SE is under £200 (in fact right now it's £169), seems like a decent little machine for a complete beginner (such as myself). Filament is ~£15/1kg roll (for PLA), which will last quite a few prints
10. how do you scan things ? I haven't got a scanner (yet... but it's tempting!)
11. How did you find things ? A combination of google and threads in here :)

if I was to jump in for just a one off to try, to see if its something that could be useful, what should I look for, what should I pay, what should I expect ?

You may get completely different advice from someone with more experience, but I'd say you can't really go wrong with the Ender 3 V3 series - I've had no major issues with mine, and it was easy to set up and get going.

I went for the SE at ~£170, but to be honest, having used it for a few weeks, I wish I'd spent slightly more and gone for the KE. While it's ~£50 more, I've already spent half that on the PEI bed that the KE comes with, and it seems to have quite a few other improvements as well.

Soldato
yes, its useful. print quite a lot of houselhold stuff, most things are available on thingiverse already so no major need to scan stuff. My fish tank parts i knock up a model in tinkercad quickly and print that out. Seems to be working well so far. Bought my units new and really enjoyed it so treated myself to a voron and absolutely love that as a hobby.

Associate
I have this crazy thought that at some point in the future every house will have a 3d printer, a bit "Star Trek" maybe...

Recently I had an issue with a bathroom sink not staying full when the plug was down, made some adjustments to it and left the plug on the stairs while I did something else... Then the dog ate it. The plastic hair-catcher was destroyed, but I just downloaded a model of a new one, adjusted the scale, and it's working fine now. Except for the initial printer cost, it saved me the price of the part and the journey to the shop to get a new one, for only a few pennies of filament.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Every one it is helpful. I see a few people got them during corvid (to pass the time ?)
I've seen a some people make some cool stuff online but I come back to my questions

12. what is a good printer is a good printer to start out with ?
13. is it better to buy new or used ?
14. what is a good model and price range to look at for a first model to try out when I'm not sure ?
15. what mistake did you make when first starting out, any advice for other ?
16. How are things going so far for you with the printer, what was the learning curve, and what would you advice to do and avoid
17. Could I make large items or is it restricted to small items.
18. how much space would I need ? with a smallish house and other family member inc younger ones, sometime wondering around everywhere.

19. For someone new, what advice would you give on getting a printer, New, used, types addons ?

Is Creality one of the better model to get get it looks like a lot of you have them.

at the moment I'm not sure if its worth jumping in yet I'm leaning toward leaving it a little longer or till I know more and can get something cheap to try out. at the moment im not sure if cost effective to buy something that could cost £100+ just to try out and to make something that would only cost a few quid just because I want to try it out.
I'm a home user, as to whether it is worth it that is mixed - I don't use it that often, mostly due to lack of a proper place to have it setup but it is great being able to print out custom bits and pieces and/or prototypes for projects, etc. that side in its own way is invaluable. Personally I picked up a relatively cheap Monoprice (they are also sold under other brands like Malyan but no idea if they are the same quality) 3D printer which is largely plug and play other than messing about a bit with the bed.

Personally I create the 3D models from scratch for the most part using either basic CAD or basic 3D modelling software. Amongst the stuff I've printed includes custom front panels for electronic projects, custom mounting plates for routers and stuff like that and have messed about with custom chess pieces, etc.

You have to be aware of the limits though - average filament especially PLA doesn't tend to like exposure to the elements much, will eventually breakdown if exposed to water and warp in warmer weather in direct sunlight, printed parts can be brittle depending on filament used so not good for stuff like latches and clips especially if intended for repeated use - though some filaments work better towards that kind of use than others.

As an aside on the chess piece topic - I actually printed out a placeholder 3D model of a chess piece from a set of placeholders I'd done for an old video game years ago, so not optimised for 3D printing, and was gob smacked when it printed it without supports on the overhanging bits - I really didn't think that would come off:

Fce27wx.jpg

(On the left is the 3D model cut out from the modelling program)
The left one looks good, but I assume it due to filament used and the printer ?

5. Making storage, custom clips/holders for things, few toys.
What kind of storage could you make, I assume they would only be little, also what type of toys ?
This is one reason for this post, if its not really cost effective in the long run after the first few hours play, it will just get neglected.
I'm unable to borrow one because I don't know anyone that has one.
Decide on whether a resin or filament printer is best for your needs
What is the difference between the two and do they both do they both come on roles and print the same way on most printers ??
All sorts, organisation, silly fun things for family, electronics enclosures

Whether it covers the full investment I can't say, but I definitely print things that I would have possibly bought previously

Being able to get the E3P for ~£130 and see what the fuss was about end of 2020

Decide if you are interested in being able to print things, or want something to tinker with - a lot of the modern mid price printers are very close to fire and forget now

Like with many hobbies there can be a big rabbit hole to fall down, but once you have a reasonable printer (or a well setup cheap one) the material cost is fairly minimal

Although I have a scanner, I haven't got round to properly using it yet

Printables is my main source, but Thangs/Thingiverse/many more sources exist - plus getting into designing things yourself is very rewarding (I am still only just starting here)
5. This similar to why im considering one, i see a lot of fun stuff people made online and start to wonder what I could do with one, just for the sake of it.
8. I'm interested in being able to print things, but at the same time I want to tinker to see what's possible and if its for me.
example a few weeks ago I needed a car emblem and the price was stupidly high for something so small, I wondered if it would have been possible to print a custom one.
10. are they expensive and are any of the scanning apps any good ??
You may get completely different advice from someone with more experience, but I'd say you can't really go wrong with the Ender 3 V3 series - I've had no major issues with mine, and it was easy to set up and get going.

I went for the SE at ~£170, but to be honest, having used it for a few weeks, I wish I'd spent slightly more and gone for the KE. While it's ~£50 more, I've already spent half that on the PEI bed that the KE comes with, and it seems to have quite a few other improvements as well.
Thanks, this has been really helpful, I'm still getting confused with all the different models and options, like beds addons, I even get confused with the different types of printing material.
I have this crazy thought that at some point in the future every house will have a 3d printer, a bit "Star Trek" maybe...

Recently I had an issue with a bathroom sink not staying full when the plug was down, made some adjustments to it and left the plug on the stairs while I did something else... Then the dog ate it. The plastic hair-catcher was destroyed, but I just downloaded a model of a new one, adjusted the scale, and it's working fine now. Except for the initial printer cost, it saved me the price of the part and the journey to the shop to get a new one, for only a few pennies of filament.
Would the initial cost not out weigh the cost of the parts you made by a long shot ?

Last edited:
Associate
Would the initial cost now out weigh the cost of the parts you made by a long shot ?
By current standards, for something like that, absolutely.... I use mine for tabletop gaming terrain, and the cost of the printer has pretty much been saved if I was to buy all the stuff I have printed from the manufacturers..... Gaming is expensive.

Soldato
OP
By current standards, for something like that, absolutely.... I use mine for tabletop gaming terrain, and the cost of the printer has pretty much been saved if I was to buy all the stuff I have printed from the manufacturers..... Gaming is expensive.
Well if you use it for something like that, I can see how it would save you a lot of money over time. but I was assuming that's not the case for most people.

Associate
Told you :)

3d printing is one of those hobbies where you have to get involved into the whole thing.
You will learn and progress. I am. Learning modeling in fusion just so I can create more of my own stuff. It's all fun for me

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How can I know, which printers would good for me ?
would it be worth considering a used Creality Ender 3 - V2 ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom