3rd Party Switch Pro Controller Recommendations

Man of Honour
I've now ordered the GuliKit KK3, ok so i overblew my original budget by £20 but looking at reviews, it's the most comprehensive out there and the maglev vibration sounds great. I also like that i don't need to pair up to my phone and use an app to update firmware, just drag and drop a file over USB and the update happens automatically. So simple.

I will be returning the Gamesir Cyclone Pro 2. Other than these quality of life features, the KK3 seems to be more premium too which is expected whilst the rest of the features are evenly matched (aside from the fact that the Cyclone has trigger motors too).

Should be here this evening, I've gone for the grey "retro" colour with purple buttons :cool:

Man of Honour
Yup it's such a cool colour, reminds me of my NES pads from back in the day :D

Edit*

Oh yeah another reason I think mechanical switches are great for the d-pad is for this:

Hopefully the KK3 doesn't have this issue with their switches.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having just seen a teardown I might cancel my order as it's not shipped yet:

It doesn't have mechanical buttons like they claim on the website, membrane, so the d-pad will have the same issue as shown above. Will keep the Cyclone 2 Pro as the entire face buttons array are mechanical switched and I love how they feel and sound.

Edit* Damn cancellation not possible, guess I'll try them out anyway lol and see if they live up to scrutiny against the Cyclone.

Last edited:
Associate
Having just seen a teardown I might cancel my order as it's not shipped yet:

It doesn't have mechanical buttons like they claim on the website, membrane, so the d-pad will have the same issue as shown above. Will keep the Cyclone 2 Pro as the entire face buttons array are mechanical switched and I love how they feel and sound.

No it doesn't - similar to the older KK2 from what I remember. The Cyclone would be better in that regards.

The usp/reasons to get the KK3 is going to be its Xbox contoller ergonomics, paddles, trigger stops or you need android support. Maybe their vibration tech too.

I haven't used the dpad hugely (playing MK8 DLX or Brotato recently) but I don't think it's as nice as the 8bido dpad. Slightly mushier than the Xbox One (not series) controller.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like they updated the wording on the website now too, now says Tactile instead of Mechanical :D

As long as it feels good then that's all that matters. I guess mechanical face switches are not really user-replaceable whereas membranes are, so there is that too.

I'll wait for t to arrive and put both side by side.

Associate
They definitely got pulled apart in reviews to trying to say mechanical buttons.

To me they feel 'tighter' than the Xbox One/Series controller, maybe less actuation. Very comparable to the feel of 8bitdo Pro 2 buttons, but not as quite as large and more concave.

Man of Honour
KK3 is excellent, a few annoyances but nothing major I'd say. Does yours run at 1000Hz via the dongle tw? Mine seems to see 500Hz as the max. Also I have the 3.9 firmware that came out this month, changes the LED behaviour:

Associate
KK3 is excellent, a few annoyances but nothing major I'd say. Does yours run at 1000Hz via the dongle tw? Mine seems to see 500Hz as the max. Also I have the 3.9 firmware that came out this month, changes the LED behaviour:

Oops I'm on the 3.1 FW, so clearly need to update. Thank you for the heads-up. I'm getting 449.xx hz when running the XInputTest_1000 samples. Which sounds like 500hz but how are you checking this?

Btw did the GamePadTester as got this, which is different from when I first tested the KK3.

PTEr6PVl.png

Man of Honour
Polling rate can be checked using Gamepadla: https://gamepadla.com/ (at the bottom, left one)

think I sussed it, it uses variable polling so the faster you react the higher the polling rate is when turning the sticks, kinda neat:

OC2evwJ.png

Which then takes you to a web portal to upload your results and see a graph etc:

ua7L8lm.png

8 is one of my previous runs using the USB as wanted to test that too. The vlues shown are in order min/average/max and then the polling rate detected.

Associate
OK done. I didn't upload to the cloud but on my Win 11 desktop get similar numbers to yourself.

Is is coming up as a much older F/W although I definitely remember installing V3.1 but clearly need to re-look at that.

EDIT: Just noticed I can't spell Gulikit properly. Doh!

S9PO33q.png

qLo7psc.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
FW updating is really easy on these, just press the buttons to get into FW mode and drop the single file into the USB drive that comes up. The controller does the rest :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
FW updating is really easy on these, just press the buttons to get into FW mode and drop the single file into the USB drive that comes up. The controller does the rest :cool:
I've got V3.1 in my Downloads folder still and remember plugging the joypad in and moving the file over and everything. So probably likely I did something silly, or there's a small chance the early FW has an old version number. Later on tonight I'll sit down with it and update it (thanks for the heads up on the V4.0).

Associate
Tried installed the new V4.0 FW tonight/this morning and still have the odd V1.0.23 version number in the Gamepadla browser window (after the test).

That said I have checked and definitely have the new 3.2 onwards functionality with 4 different lighting modes on 'set button' + dpad left; as their website mentions: Default steady on, Joystick-activated flowing lighting, Vibration -activated lighting, Trigger -activated flowing lighting, Off. Also when I connect the joypad in USB mode the little GULI text file has 'Version 4.0' written at the bottom.

I definitely had downloaded V3.1 (when I got the controller in January) so therefore this functionality is new - replacing the brightness adjustment for the analog stick rings as far as I can tell. So my assumption is the Gamepadla software is picking up a completely rubbish f/w number. i.e. the controller shipped with 2.8 - not 1.0.23.

Odd issue.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just go straight to v4 firmware, gamepadla software shows the version of it, not the firmware btw! unless you mean in the browser results page, that's just a general entry, you're meant to manually update that :p

Associate
Just go straight to v4 firmware, gamepadla software shows the version of it, not the firmware btw! unless you mean in the browser results page, that's just a general entry, you're meant to manually update that :p
Yea I meant the browser page :D.

For some reason I thought that page would automatically pick up the joypad's FW version.

So all good. V4.0 FW installed.

Back
Top Bottom