• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700x3D Running high temps not sure why?

Associate
So changed my CPU today from a 3600x to a 5700x3D.

I proceeded to jump on a game iRacing to be exact to see how it affected things compared to the previous CPU and immediately noticed it was running at a lower clock speed (2.7/2.9ghz) when the base clock sits at 3.2ghz.

I Checked the hardware info and it was 90c so shut the game down to troubleshoot.

Before installing the new CPU I made sure the BIOS was up to date, cleared the CMOS and updated all drivers relating to the motherboard.

I've since removed the cooler to check the thermal paste, all seemed ok so reapplied and refitted the cooler.
I've done this twice now and both times appeared to be fine with a nice even spread across cooler head and the top of the chip so I'm confident I'm not messing that up.

Temps still quickly climb to 90c and idle at around 69c/70c.
All fans are running and from what I can tell the pump is running on the AIO cooler (Ai Suite and BIOS all show RPM data for the pump)

I'm waiting on more thermal paste but the next step is to refit the 3600x and check the temps on that, as that will eliminate the possibility of it being the cooler?

Is there anything else I can try while I wait for the thermal paste?
It would be extremely unlucky if the cooler died at the exact same time I changed CPU (don't think that's the case given all sensors say it's running.)

So I'm hoping to find another solution but my knowledge base is limited so looking for hive mind help?

Soldato
When you screwed down the cpu cooler how did you do it?

Was it from corner to opposite corner or did you go around in a circle?

You should start in 1 corner and screw it down a little and then move to the opposite corner and do the same repeating the steps until secure making sure you do not over tighten the cpu cooler as this can cause the mount to not sit properly or extra strain on the board.

What motherboard do you have and what bios version are you running?

Soldato
Definitely reinstall the 3600x to check the cooler.

It is possible that the cooler pump has failed but the motor is still spinning and giving an rpm reading.

Also check for power use, some boards pump stupid amounts of power into ryzen cpus. From another thread I wrote:
On my gigabyte board (b550 vision dp), it can easily be shown with Cinebench and HWInfo 64's "Power Reporting Deviation"

During the cinebench run, if it's less than 100% then your board is under reporting power to the cpu meaning it boosts higher than AMD want, drawing more power and losing a lot of efficiency. HWinfo says anything outside of 100±10% is cause for concern. My board did 75%

Associate
OP
So while I continue to investigate this I discovered a post on the AMD stating that 95c is what the chip is designed to run at? and I've discovered a tweet from AMD Ryzen that states the 7000 series is designed to run at 95c too.
Both things lead me to believe the temps aren't the issue but it doesn't seem right to me.

Associate
OP
Definitely reinstall the 3600x to check the cooler.

It is possible that the cooler pump has failed but the motor is still spinning and giving an rpm reading.

Also check for power use, some boards pump stupid amounts of power into ryzen cpus. From another thread I wrote:

How would I know if it's getting stupid amounts of power? Forgive the noob questions, but I don't tinker to much normally just plug and play and I'm happy enough.

Associate
OP
I've since left it idling a while and opened the case up, holding both pipes coming off the heat block one is visibly cooler than the other coming off the block and I feel a bit of vibration in both I'm thinking that would be the coolant flowing through it.

So I'm even more confident now that the pump is working as it should.

Soldato
I've since left it idling a while and opened the case up, holding both pipes coming off the heat block one is visibly cooler than the other coming off the block and I feel a bit of vibration in both I'm thinking that would be the coolant flowing through it.

So I'm even more confident now that the pump is working as it should.
I am less confident, temperature difference between the inflow and outflow of the block should be a couple degrees. I don't think you could feel it.

If you can feel it then it suggests very low flow.

Soldato
Run all core test like cinebench and see if your clocks/scores are around what they should be for your new CPU. Run Hwinfo64 during the test and it should tell you if thermal throttling and willl be able to see other useful numbers like power draw etc.

Soldato
So changed my CPU today from a 3600x to a 5700x3D.

I proceeded to jump on a game iRacing to be exact to see how it affected things compared to the previous CPU and immediately noticed it was running at a lower clock speed (2.7/2.9ghz) when the base clock sits at 3.2ghz.

I Checked the hardware info and it was 90c so shut the game down to troubleshoot.

Before installing the new CPU I made sure the BIOS was up to date, cleared the CMOS and updated all drivers relating to the motherboard.

I've since removed the cooler to check the thermal paste, all seemed ok so reapplied and refitted the cooler.
I've done this twice now and both times appeared to be fine with a nice even spread across cooler head and the top of the chip so I'm confident I'm not messing that up.

Temps still quickly climb to 90c and idle at around 69c/70c.
All fans are running and from what I can tell the pump is running on the AIO cooler (Ai Suite and BIOS all show RPM data for the pump)

I'm waiting on more thermal paste but the next step is to refit the 3600x and check the temps on that, as that will eliminate the possibility of it being the cooler?

Is there anything else I can try while I wait for the thermal paste?
It would be extremely unlucky if the cooler died at the exact same time I changed CPU (don't think that's the case given all sensors say it's running.)

So I'm hoping to find another solution but my knowledge base is limited so looking for hive mind help?
What voltages is the CPU running at in CPU-Z (load and idle)?

Soldato
shouldnt be reaching 90c during gaming

Kraken z73 360aio with the 5800x3d, during idle or general use I have the fans at around 750-800rpm and pump at around 17xx rpm temps bounce around 40-45c
Cinebench multi run 79c , fans get to around 1000-1200rpm and cinebench stresses it to the max game wouldnt

What's the CPU cooler ? What's the case and placement of case fans? , run Cinebench and see how much watts the CPU is using

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah as others have said, CPU should not be running at 90c during games or at all in fact, its simply that AMD use that temp before it thermally throttles as you are seeing. Defo get the 3600 back in and check the temps. My 5900X when gaming rarely goes above 70c using a liquid freezer 2.

Associate
your 5700x3d defo should not be running at those temps.
i have a 5800x3d cooled with a thermalright phantom spirit air cooler.
and when stressed with cinebench i get to around 82c max all core
during gaming it never goes above 75c
so there has to be something wrong
are you sure thermal paste wise is correct the way your doing it and everything?
along with your cooler is working properly

Last edited:
Soldato
They are definitely toasty chips. I'm getting similar to @aachil above on mine. Although did undervolt a little, as Asus love to just throw volts at everything.

What cooler is it, and how old? Whenever I hear AIO I always suspect it, but might be unfair in this case. Have you got an old stock Ryzen cooler you could put on? Would be interesting if there are any differences.

Soldato
They run warm by default, but I see lower temps on a none offset 5800X3D using a Thermalright Assassin King, aka a 4 heatpipe single tower air cooler on a warmer chip by default.

What are your ambient temps? What case and fan setup? You'd absolutely see much improved temps with a -20 or 30 offset but it still looks like there's an underlying issue imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only AIO with 2 x screws on the block is the Arctic liquid Freezer III, that i know of.

If this is the cooler it should be more than enough for a 5700X3D.

As others have asked

What case and fan setup and what voltage for the CPU?

EDIT

Looks like Be Quite AIO's use 2 x screws on the block as well.

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Something’s drastically wrong.

At stock mine barely touches 70c running the multi-core Cinebench24. Gaming barely hits 60c. And I can knock a full 10c off that with a -30 offset.

Last edited:
Soldato
So while I continue to investigate this I discovered a post on the AMD stating that 95c is what the chip is designed to run at? and I've discovered a tweet from AMD Ryzen that states the 7000 series is designed to run at 95c too.
Both things lead me to believe the temps aren't the issue but it doesn't seem right to me.
That's only Ryzen 7000, not the 5000 series. Those temps look very wrong, the 5700X3D is a much cooler chip than the 5800X3D and there's no way you should be idling at 70C.

Do you have another cooler you can test with (even an old budget air cooler)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom