• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6900k or 6850K for new PC

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info about the 900D.

I was actually just looking at some cases and I do quite like the In Win 909 (Silver) so I will watch some reviews on that case.

Associate
Well I am buying it with some of my inheritance and I want to make sure the PC means something to me.

I have never had a pc like this before and might never have one again. Since about 1987 every Birthday and Christmas my Nan would buy me a game from the old £1.99 ZX spectrum days to the modern PC games. Because she is not around to do that anymore, this PC is a testament to her memory and my way of honouring her.

I totally get that - when my grandad died in the mid 90s he left me a bit of money and I splurged it on a monster Sony monitor. The sort of thing that I'd never have bought otherwise - it took a change of technology some years later to make me part with it (though I still have it sat in a cupboard!). Every time I sat back and admired the quality I'd think "thanks grandad!" :)

Just a personal opinion but PC internals come and go - spend a bit more cash on a really nice, quality case that you can reuse for future builds so you'll have a reminder for a lot longer. This is total overkill but just in case you've never seen one of these before...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/in-w...um-motorized-chassis-black-red-ca-070-iw.html

Associate
OP
Yeah I have seen that case before, my worry with something like that would be the hair from my boxer dogs getting inside as I believe its an open case.

Associate
if you could wait then I suggest to try a Caselabs case. It's build quality and attention to detail will amaze you.

I think this is a great suggestion.

Buying hardware that is way over spec seems like a waste regardless of your budget. A really nice case will last you a lifetime. It's the case that you spend your time looking at.

I'm building my own custom case at the moment.
Spent loads of money on it, but it's going to look amazing and will last forever.

Let us know how you get on and post some pics.
Have fun

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I have no problem waiting a little while as I want no regrets, I will check out some caselabs reviews.

Also I have decided to take peoples advice and drop down to 32gb of ram.

Soldato
Hi Folks.

I am planning on getting a new system built for me and would like some advice on the CPU as I am not really a pc tech guy.

The Display I use is the Acer Predator X34 (100hz 3440x1440) and the new PC will only be used for gaming.

So considering the spec and my required needs should I go with the 6900k or the 6850k ?

PC SPEC:

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D

MOBO: Asus ROG Rampage v Edition 10

CPU: Intel 6900k or 6850k (OVERCLOCKED)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro h115i

RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED 2666mhz WHITE LED

GFX: SLI MSI Geforce gtx 1080 Seahawk X (AIO watercooled)

PSU: 1200w Corsair Digital AX1200i

SSD (OS): Samsung 256GB SM961 M.2 SSD

SSD: 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

OPTICAL DRIVE: Internal or External Blue-Ray & DVD (depends on case)

LIGHTS: NZXT Hue & RGB color changing dual channel internal led controller

HEADPHONES - Sennheiser HD 800

DAC/AMP - Modi 2 and Magni 2

SPEAKERS - Razer Leviathan Soundbar

Thank you.

For just gaming I'd get the 6700k, then save the rest of the money ready for a 1080ti in a few months :)

Associate
OP
Did the OP pretty much ignore everything anyone said in this thread? No point asking for advice if you're not gonna use any of it.

No I did not ignore people, Switched out PSU to a recommended one, changed to 32gb of ram, read through the thread!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For just gaming I'd get the 6700k, then save the rest of the money ready for a 1080ti in a few months :)

Well when I planned this pc in a store Configurator they had the 6800k, 6850k, 6900k and the 6950x as choices.

But I am not up to date on CPU's so figured the 6800k might not be as good.

Associate
No I did not ignore people, Switched out PSU to a recommended one, changed to 32gb of ram, read through the thread!
I read through and pretty much saw you ignoring solid advice. Your build doesn't need to have the most expensive parts just for it to 'mean something' you know.

Associate
OP
I read through and pretty much saw you ignoring solid advice.

I was not ignoring them or the advice given, I appreciate what people have said and the time it has taken them to respond to me. but as I am well within my rights to disregard some of it as it was not strictly in context to my question about 2 SPECIFIC CPU's.

And since then I have made some changes like I said to the amount of RAM and the PSU, that is hardly ignoring people is it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have an off the wall suggestion that you might consider:

Hire a skilled modder to make a custom build for you.

My reasoning is this:

You're wanting this PC primarily as a memorial. The case would be the most important thing for that purpose. What you need inside it is hardware that is ample for gaming, not simply the most expensive everything (which often isn't relevant to gaming anyway - the top of the range kit is designed for serious number-crunching). I suggest that the best fit for your purposes would be to buy very high end gaming hardware rather than the most expensive kit you can fit in a PC case and spend some of the difference on hiring someone to build it into a customised setup that will have emotional meaning to you.

There are some seriously skilled modders on these forums. Perhaps one of them would be interested in this sort of work. Consider, for example, the quality of the custom work in Project EVIE:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18736610

Perhaps you could come up with a idea for a custom build that would serve you better as a memorial than any off the shelf case and perhaps you could hire someone to make it for you. I think that plus very high end gaming kit would serve your purposes better than an off the shelf case with a semi-workstation built into it that would at best be no better for gaming than kit that was half the price.

Associate
OP
Hi Angilion, thanks for the suggestion, I am still undecided on the case and will be keeping my options open for now.

With the changes I have made to the PC spec it now looks like this. I have also changed my mind and decided to go for the 6850k.
The Audio section I have removed from the list because this is non-negotiable, I have played the guitar for over 25yrs and sound is very important to me, plus I have actually tested that sound set-up and it was amazing.

CASE: Undecided

MOBO: Asus ROG Rampage v Edition 10

*CPU: Intel 6850k (OVERCLOCKED)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro h115i

*RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED 2666mhz

GFX: SLI MSI Geforce gtx 1080 Seahawk X (AIO watercooled)

*PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 1200W

SSD (OS): Samsung 256GB SM961 M.2 SSD

OPTICAL DRIVE: Internal or External Blue-Ray & DVD (depends on case)

LIGHTS: NZXT Hue & RGB color changing dual channel internal led controller

I think I am happy with this spec, and thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Soldato
I have an off the wall suggestion that you might consider:

Hire a skilled modder to make a custom build for you.

My reasoning is this:

You're wanting this PC primarily as a memorial. The case would be the most important thing for that purpose. What you need inside it is hardware that is ample for gaming, not simply the most expensive everything (which often isn't relevant to gaming anyway - the top of the range kit is designed for serious number-crunching). I suggest that the best fit for your purposes would be to buy very high end gaming hardware rather than the most expensive kit you can fit in a PC case and spend some of the difference on hiring someone to build it into a customised setup that will have emotional meaning to you.

There are some seriously skilled modders on these forums. Perhaps one of them would be interested in this sort of work. Consider, for example, the quality of the custom work in Project EVIE:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18736610

Perhaps you could come up with a idea for a custom build that would serve you better as a memorial than any off the shelf case and perhaps you could hire someone to make it for you. I think that plus very high end gaming kit would serve your purposes better than an off the shelf case with a semi-workstation built into it that would at best be no better for gaming than kit that was half the price.

This is by far a better idea than spending money on something for no real reason. I understand its your choice what you spend it on but in all seriousness you could be sat in front of something technically incredible for a few thousand quid less... Do something worth while with that money, help someone else as she has helped you.

Associate
OP
Well I am pretty happy with my spec now, as for helping someone else I am doing that already as my wife decided I would be helping Kitchen/bathroom fitters lol.

b4z

b4z

Associate
Okay, here is my second attempt in this thread ;)

Video: Linus Tech Tips Intel 6950X Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfj-Rq9bX40#t=5m15s

Date: 7th July 2016

Timestamp: 5 Minutes 15 Seconds

Quote: "Right off the bat its pretty fair to say that its hard to justify buying any Broadwell E chip if your heaviest workload will be gaming, as the 6700K beat every single Broadwell E SKU in all of our gaming benchmarks including the flagship 6950X"

6850K = £575.99 [ocuk price]

6700K = £329.99 [ocuk price]

Price difference = £246

Midian, I want you to now come up with a valid non emotionally charged reason why you want the 6850K over the 6700K?

And why you are willing to pay £246 more for less performance whilst Gaming?

You stated in the opening post this build is exclusively for Gaming.

I look forward to your response :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom