• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6950X delidded!!

Caporegime
OcUK just promised a 10c drop or my money back.

Where? if you remove the heatspreader it's warranty void and chances are you'll kill the chip trying so it's good business for them. :p

Anyone risking trying to delid a £800+ processor for a 10C drop obviously have more money than sense anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you don't want to risk your investment by removing the lid? Great.... perhaps other do, and are interested. Please stop being so negative.

Some people DO have the money, and great for them, maybe if they want the best of the best they are prepared to try this.

Permabanned
OcUK just promised a 10c drop or my money back. I personally think it's pointless and risky to remove the IHS on a mechanically fixed CPU but OcUK say other wise. TBH I'm not buying a 10c drop in ambient testing either. But obviously I'm some kind of idiot.
I'm curious as how you went from 8Pack saying he did something to OcUK promising you something? So when 8Pack gets say, 1500 in Cinebench with a quad core, you'd say OcUK are promising you the same? Hmm.

Soldato
I'm curious as how you went from 8Pack saying he did something to OcUK promising you something? So when 8Pack gets say, 1500 in Cinebench with a quad core, you'd say OcUK are promising you the same? Hmm.

10c drop? money back when that never happens? Yes 10c drop :p

Soldato
Yeah most people wouldnt, just people who wanna get the most out of their chip. My chip would barely run stock speeds with the IHS on so it was an easy decision for me.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't delid any processor. I think the gains are not too much, especially when you void the warranty and risk permanently damaging the chip.

The gains can be huge on some CPU's, on skylake for example, removing the IHS is a must to remain competetive in the world of extreme OC, my chip for example reached 5.9GHz under LN2 and after the delid 6.4GHz was attainable which is a huge difference. Although on ambient its not really worth it, maybe seeing a 100hz increase in cpu speed.
Some Haswell CPU's were worth doing, with a temp drop of around 18c (ambient) if Liquid metal was used and this may of helped some cpu's go up a couple of multi's.

Yes theres a risk involved but not so much with the delid tool but the gains can be very good and totally worth it, a cheap way (if it all goes ok of course!) of a cooler/faster system.

Back
Top Bottom