• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D now or wait?

Soldato
I'd be upgrading from 5900x and it's getting paired with 7900XT.

The 7800X3D looks to have a decent price reduction right now at £348 with the Avatar bundle? I upgraded my GPU this year and I could wait it out through 2024 for something else, but I wouldn't want to be going into 2025 as I'd be upgrading the GPU again - I like to do it alternate years.

Essentially - Is the 5900x to 7800X3D a decent lift in performance for gaming, and is there nothing I'd be missing out on being released in the next 9 months?

TIA

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Essentially - Is the 5900x to 7800X3D a decent lift in performance for gaming, and is there nothing I'd be missing out on being released in the next 9 months?
If you're not in a hurry and are prepared to wait until 2024, then you might as well wait for Zen 5 / 15th gen, either to buy those CPUs, or get a discount.

Many AM4/AM5 CPUs in these benchmarks:

Soldato
OP
If you're not in a hurry and are prepared to wait until 2024, then you might as well wait for Zen 5 / 15th gen, either to buy those CPUs, or get a discount.

Many AM4/AM5 CPUs in these benchmarks:
I'm thinking the mobo and ram will be a decent enough investment and that I can still change the CPU if the gains are good.

Going by the initial links you two have posted, it looks like the jump is decent from the 5900x.

I'll get reading up on it.. Thanks. :)

Soldato
OP
what GPU do you have, what res/hz screen and what gams do you play

7900XT
CX48 (4k 120Hz)
AW3423DW (3440*1440 120Hz)

Games are totally varied, I honestly couldn't settle on a particular genre. Although I do intend to get some hours in with Cyberpunk and I'll be all over the Elden Ring DLC. Balder's Gate 3, Hogwarts Legacy.

Soldato
at 4k you will little to no game performance increase, the 1440 UW i would think you will see some gains

The CPU is made for games if you can budget it in why not, and your 5900x will still hold some good value so selling will offset the cost.
i went from a 5800x to a 7700x so im in no position to say don't do it haha

Soldato
7900XT
CX48 (4k 120Hz)
AW3423DW (3440*1440 120Hz)

Games are totally varied, I honestly couldn't settle on a particular genre. Although I do intend to get some hours in with Cyberpunk and I'll be all over the Elden Ring DLC. Balder's Gate 3, Hogwarts Legacy.
Sorry to derail but how you finding your 7900xt coping at 4k?

Soldato
It's an awesome card, but I have to say I have absolutely no interest in Raytracing so if that's important to you then YMMV.

I can't believe how cool and quiet the 7900XT is for the pixels it pushes.

TBF by virtue of the fact people buy AMD card automatically shows they have no interest in ray tracing, I think because they are so poor at it. It's almost a superfluous statement at this point.

*Inner monologue, not nitpicking your post :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I never used to be until I saw showcase titles like CP with it, now games without can seem bland and very 'last gen' though plenty of great ones without of course.

On topic, I nearly did a pointless upgrade myself but decided I'll do the pointless upgrade for the next cpu.
Also going to get rid of my ram (can't run at anything other than default) and get one on the QOL list which I can hopefully run at expo or whatever the AMD version is called.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah ok. My system won't boot if I set it to expo/xmp on my mobo. Not even with increased voltage so I just left it.
No stability issues other than that, just bothers me a bit despite knowing pathetically small performance difference.

Back
Top Bottom