• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 Crossfire vs 680 SLI at 5760*1080 (Eyefinity/Surround)

Soldato
OP
Are you using Afterburner to overclock? If so, remember to add +20li board power and don't be afraid to up the vcore.

Yeah. I've unlocked the clocks in there and everything. Just need some more time to work out what's stable etc. I'm just about there on card one although it is taking a long time. Then I need to work out card two's limits.

Soldato
OP
Off topic but I am impressed with how the performance is on 7950 number one with even a smallish overclock:

Operation Swordbreaker 1080p:

Mild OC of 1150/1500:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
29451, 340191, 58, 139, 86.572

Surprisingly close to "the beast".

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
31648, 344622, 59, 164, 91.834

Soldato
OP
You should be able to ramp up that memory clock a fair bit at stock volts, try 1600 mhz first

Given up for the night. Will re-commence tomorrow. Though may just bench at 1150/1600 to get an idea. Though if I've got a pap clocker I do need to know ASAP to decide if to return.

The first one seems OK. Not golden but very good.

Associate
Given up for the night. Will re-commence tomorrow. Though may just bench at 1150/1600 to get an idea. Though if I've got a pap clocker I do need to know ASAP to decide if to return.

The first one seems OK. Not golden but very good.

What are the ASIC quality on those cards by the way?

Associate
oh risky move to go amd crossfire with triples -- it's well known (only to those who get it and then do the search, but not to those looking to buy sadly) that you can get seriously bad micro stutter on triples and crossfire, i hope you don't suffer from it, but i did, and it's dotted around the web if you look. doesn't happen on a single screen setup, it's like a bug that amd doesn't seem to give a crap about, like so many things in their drivers. Good luck!

Not noticed any with my 2x7950's, cross fingers i never will

Soldato
OP
Anyone know how to unlock Afterburner for the second card when you have two? The unlocked limits are applying only to card 1.

Going to swap them over to check them individually but would be helpful to know regardless.

Associate
That 1080p performance is impressive. I'm guessing if you can reach 1200/1600 you will match or even surpass 'the beast'. 1700mhz should be doable on the memory though. Remember you can add a little voltage to the memory in afterburner, its a drop down menu son the main page.

Remember you are not voltage gimped anymore ;)

Soldato
OP
1200 is easy. I'm only on 1.137V at 1150. This seemed high enough to rule out any random crashing while I tested but I'll bring it down when it's settled.

I benched 3DM11 @ 1250/1700 but performance was quite low suggesting some kind of issue my end as they were the same clocks roughly as a 11600 graphics score.

Looking for a benching clock of a touch over 1200 and whatever I can get on the memory. This should fulfil the brief of matching the performance of your average 7970 overclock and *should* match or be a little under the beast at 1080p. If I'm matching the beast at 1080 with a set of clocks then that's perfect because we'll be able to tell how much difference the 384 bit bus makes at triple screen res when otherwise performance is the same of at least very close.

My job is pretty flexible - you can go in when you want and leave when you want. The work is there no matter what time you get there. So I got to work at 6:30 this morning and will leave around 4:00 as there's a lot on.

Is is sad that I got in early so I could crack on with my actions and leave ASAP to continue? :D

Last edited:
Associate
If your score was low it often means you need a touch more voltage. Sometimes it skips a few frames if there isnt enough voltage and you get a lower score.

Its not sad at all to go in early, you are lucky your work is flexible :cool:

Back
Top Bottom