• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950X3D Best Setup

Associate
Yes, I work fully remotely. 4 days a week for a company (full stack developer ) and the rest for my own business. I had zero issues just doing the windows 11 upgrade it just worked. I had the luxury of trying it on both my kids machine first but they don't have the environments I do.
None at all other than it all going horribly wrong. I work remotely and have secure access to work with heavy duty security which is currently causing an issue with the new gear. So your upgrade had no issues and it just worked?

I have a daily backup of the OS so I can always fallback to that. Might give it a go, seems to be working on the Power Save Plan though. Frequencies don’t look like their being throttled using Hwinfo.
Obviously no idea if win 11 will help you but it's a great os and have no regrets switching.

Soldato
OP
The upgrade to Windows 11 added more issues with the chipset drivers refusing to install / uninstall. Ended up using a MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta tool to force an uninstall on every driver. I then reinstalled, switched to balanced, did a cmd /c start /wait Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks. The crowd goes world and its now working properly! Sorted, on Windows 11 too.

Associate
The upgrade to Windows 11 added more issues with the chipset drivers refusing to install / uninstall. Ended up using a MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta tool to force an uninstall on every driver. I then reinstalled, switched to balanced, did a cmd /c start /wait Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks. The crowd goes world and its now working properly! Sorted, on Windows 11 too.

Pain you had a few issues but I think long term windows 11 will be a better prospect for the 7950X3D, I will still be holding out for ZEN 5 but then PC isn't my primary gaming platform (mix between, PS5, steam deck and PC) but would still like to know your thoughts compared to the 5900X as that is what I am running.

Soldato
OP
Pain you had a few issues but I think long term windows 11 will be a better prospect for the 7950X3D, I will still be holding out for ZEN 5 but then PC isn't my primary gaming platform (mix between, PS5, steam deck and PC) but would still like to know your thoughts compared to the 5900X as that is what I am running.
Hi there,
On the desktop it feels slightly faster. Gaming, it’s hard to say, really only ran a selection of games. X4 felt smoother. Just a couple of hours games. Visual studio building feels quicker. The motherboard initial boot time is very slow. The chip junction temp is at 89 ‘c under heavy load which is a shock but normal.

I’m glad I upgraded, it’s an interesting fun chip. New platform. Looking forward to tweaking it. It’s running -20 CO across all cores for a first go.

Ultimately the 5900X is a fantastic chip and I just like playing with new stuff. Unless a good opportunity presents its self I would wait.

Associate
Hi there,
On the desktop it feels slightly faster. Gaming, it’s hard to say, really only ran a selection of games. X4 felt smoother. Just a couple of hours games. Visual studio building feels quicker. The motherboard initial boot time is very slow. The chip junction temp is at 89 ‘c under heavy load which is a shock but normal.

I’m glad I upgraded, it’s an interesting fun chip. New platform. Looking forward to tweaking it. It’s running -20 CO across all cores for a first go.

Ultimately the 5900X is a fantastic chip and I just like playing with new stuff. Unless a good opportunity presents its self I would wait.
Thanks for that and enjoy your new toy. Already decided to wait as will be building one using my own companies funds end of next year (already run that post the wife), had to buy a new MacBook Pro this year for iOS stuff.

Soldato
Some good advice in here but for context, I installed a 7900X3D and am using my old Windows 10 OS without issues. Core parking was not working as I stupidly used the Asrock site chipset drivers (higher number than AMD official). Once I installed the actual AMD chipset drivers and ran that command line, core parking works as advertised.

MSFS performance jumped by about 25% once core parking worked.

I verified all was working as intended with a test clean windows 11 install. No benefit to MSFS or any other game performance. So I went back to my windows 10 install that means not spending days or a full week of setup headaches. Plus windows 11 sucks.

You don’t need to do a fresh OS install, that’s the usual get out of jail free card for tech support all over the world and ranks only second to “have you turned it off and on again”. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Some good advice in here but for context, I installed a 7900X3D and am using my old Windows 10 OS without issues. Core parking was not working as I stupidly used the Asrock site chipset drivers (higher number than AMD official). Once I installed the actual AMD chipset drivers and ran that command line, core parking works as advertised.

MSFS performance jumped by about 25% once core parking worked.

I verified all was working as intended with a test clean windows 11 install. No benefit to MSFS or any other game performance. So I went back to my windows 10 install that means not spending days or a full week of setup headaches. Plus windows 11 sucks.

You don’t need to do a fresh OS install, that’s the usual get out of jail free card for tech support all over the world and ranks only second to “have you turned it off and on again”. :D

W11 is a big upgrade in terms of UI, usability and features IMO. Aside from being faster for gaming, there's no reason not to upgrade.

Soldato
Now you are just being silly. :)

I've tried Windows 11 on my own PC multiple times but the issue is, it offers no benfits and a lot of minor annoyances. Just having no option for Right Click > Copy is enough to make me miss Windows 10. Or the fact you can't right click and select your GPU CP, you need to click "more options" first. Then there is the more unecessarily convoluted settings menus for sound and WiFi etc. Or the fact you need to click the tiny "All Apps" button in the start bar before you see your installed Apps list.

So for me the issue is just usability took a retrograde step and I have yet to find a tangible performance or feature benefit. Though the HDR features are better, but only because MS deliberately gimped them on Windows 10. That is not a major selling point for me though because most of my games have HDR settigns in their menu.

Though this is off topic, this is about the 7900X3D and 7950X3D core parking setup.

Last edited:
Soldato

I've tried Windows 11 on my own PC multiple times but the issue is, it offers no benfits and a lot of minor annoyances. Just having no option for Right Click > Copy is enough to make me miss Windows 10. Or the fact you can't right click and select your GPU CP, you need to click "more options" first. Then there is the more unecessarily convoluted settings menus for sound and WiFi etc. Or the fact you need to click the tiny "All Apps" button in the start bar before you see your installed Apps list.

So for me the issue is just usability took a retrograde step and I have yet to find a tangible performance or feature benefit. Though the HDR features are better, but only because MS deliberately gimped them on Windows 10. That is not a major selling point for me though because most of my games have HDR settigns in their menu.

Though this is off topic, this is about the 7900X3D and 7950X3D core parking setup.

Boggles me that able bodied people actually use right click > copy - I don't think I've done this since I found out about CTRL C, X, V etc when I was in comprehensive school, it's so much faster. That's the reason MS removed the word "copy" from the right click submenu, as it was so infrequently used. They still included them under "show more options" though, plus they added icons for those that don't like keyboard shortcuts (or people who are disabled and can't use the keyboard etc):

08C175P.jpg

Associate

that should fix your issue i had the same problem when i moved to windows 11.

Soldato
Thanks, I know these fixes exist. Though if the fix for windows 11 is to make it look and feel like windows 10, why not just stick with windows 10.

11 feels slower and less responsive in every way.

Soldato
Boggles me that able bodied people actually use right click > copy - I don't think I've done this since I found out about CTRL C, X, V etc when I was in comprehensive school, it's so much faster. That's the reason MS removed the word "copy" from the right click submenu, as it was so infrequently used. They still included them under "show more options" though, plus they added icons for those that don't like keyboard shortcuts (or people who are disabled and can't use the keyboard etc):

08C175P.jpg

I’m using this as examples of change that didn’t bring any real benefits. The new context menu in Windows 11 is change for change sake. I know it fulfils the same function, but the new layout just reeks of “make it look different”. I could just as easily mention the removal of a customisable apps layout in the start menu.

I actually have Windows 11 installed in 3 out of our 4 home devices.

Last edited:
Soldato

Try running Geekbench v6 and check you get the right scores, also download OCCT and run it in Extreme Variable Large Test on Corecycler mode. If you get a significantly lower Geekbench v6 score or errors in OCCT when run this way, you’ll probably need a fresh install.

Back
Top Bottom