• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 Custom Bios - Remove Throttling

Caporegime
OP
Yes mantle should help massively with the cpu performance. Make sure you publish your findings before and after. I anticipate your cpu bottlenecked to be solved with the arrival of mantle.

Soldato
I hope Mantle will go someway to optimising BF4 cpu usage reducing the bottlenecking.

I can afford an i7 or AMD 8 core but no point if Mantle sorts most of it then it is a needless upgrade.

Whilst I'm all for development and games requiring and making use of ever more PC horsepower I don't think games are there yet. Maybe >256 multiplayer BF5 on ARMA 3 sized maps!!!!!

I've been very pleased with my 7990 much to my 780 owning freinds.

Coming back to thread topic - my GPU-Z graphs show a solid line of 1000mhz in BF4 with your BIOS.

Stock BIOS had 950Mhz with 1000Mhz peaks in a very even manner.

Caporegime
OP
Coming back to thread topic - my GPU-Z graphs show a solid line of 1000mhz in BF4 with your BIOS.

Stock BIOS had 950Mhz with 1000Mhz peaks in a very even manner.

Yes the difference is night and day. The funny thing is even with this throttling issue its still comfortably the fastest gpu on the market. Removing the throttling and performance goes up even more. Its a shame that this extra performance is never reflected in official gpu reviews as the gap would widen further.

Caporegime
Yes the difference is night and day. The funny thing is even with this throttling issue its still comfortably the fastest gpu on the market. Removing the throttling and performance goes up even more. Its a shame that this extra performance is never reflected in official gpu reviews as the gap would widen further.

Wrong :p

A GPU is a small part of a video card and for that part of your statement to be correct, you would have to say either, "Video Card/Graphics card or Dual GPU"

Currently, the fastest GPU is the 780 Ti :D

Soldato
HAd another run last night with new BIOS. Since flashing has never felt right and framerates are halved. Looked at AB and the core clock was steady at 950Mhz for 99% of the time and not 1000Mhz last night. Was 1000Mhz the night before. Reinstalled drivers, tried 9.2 & 9.4. ULPS on and off. HAd some artifacting going on. Screen flashes when on the desktop running BF4 in the background.

So flicked the switch to position 2 for stock BIOS. Did nothing else, no reinstallation of drivers or anything. Night and day for me. Fps doubled and much smoother with less fluctuation never dropping below 90fps and averaging the 125 mark.

The non throttle BIOS doesnt play well with my card unless I have done something wrong but I read instructions carefully. Fps was in the 70'/80's sometimes dropping below 60 and fluctuated wildly. No OC on the card or voltage change.

Over n out

W

Caporegime
OP
HAd another run last night with new BIOS. Since flashing has never felt right and framerates are halved. Looked at AB and the core clock was steady at 950Mhz for 99% of the time and not 1000Mhz last night. Was 1000Mhz the night before. Reinstalled drivers, tried 9.2 & 9.4. ULPS on and off. HAd some artifacting going on. Screen flashes when on the desktop running BF4 in the background.

So flicked the switch to position 2 for stock BIOS. Did nothing else, no reinstallation of drivers or anything. Night and day for me. Fps doubled and much smoother with less fluctuation never dropping below 90fps and averaging the 125 mark.

The non throttle BIOS doesnt play well with my card unless I have done something wrong but I read instructions carefully. Fps was in the 70'/80's sometimes dropping below 60 and fluctuated wildly. No OC on the card or voltage change.

Over n out

W

Upload your second bios using gpu-z so i can examine it please mate. Its possible you maybe flashed the bios to slot 2 instead.

Associate
Trying to flash this now, at DOS Prompt (I think!)

Screen looks like:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C)copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1998

C:\>atiflash-i
Bad command or file name

Anyone know why and where I've gone wrong..?

Cheers

Associate
Trying to flash this now, at DOS Prompt (I think!)

Screen looks like:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C)copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1998

C:\>atiflash-i
Bad command or file name

Anyone know why and where I've gone wrong..?

Cheers

This seems to show that atiflash.exe file does not reside in C: root folder
Where did u put the file?
You need to navigate to that folder using the dos command cd <name of folder>

Hope that helps

Associate
This seems to show that atiflash.exe file does not reside in C: root folder
Where did u put the file?
You need to navigate to that folder using the dos command cd <name of folder>

Hope that helps

I think all the files were on D drive, so I have them all extracted on C drive desktop and my USB shows the same as matts in the OP. going to give this another crack!

Is it normal for the system to run so slow when you press F8, restarted and pressed it about 5 mins ago and still on the pre-bios screen lol

Soldato
Associate
Still having problems in DOS, currently looks like:

C:\>DIR

Volume in drive C is MSIHQ
Volume serial number is 2875-4555
Directory if C:\

ATIFLA~1 EXE 665,600 10-09-13 11:38a
MALTA1 ROM 131,072 11-19-13 8:03a
MALTA2 ROM 131,072 11-19-13 8:03a
3 files. 926,744 bytes
0 dirs. 15,182.76 MB free