A new PC for everyday use - micro atx / mini itx

Associate
I currently don’t meet windows upgrade requirements so need a new PC

It’s for everyday office/home type use with some light audio and video editing/conversion, music player and maybe plex server.

Not for gaming (unless very light), so ideally no separate graphics card.

Micro atx or mini itx MB - Ideally to fit inside a lazer3d cravo 7 (while it’s still available here)

Will have music, movies media etc storage separately in nas or whatever.

So CPU, MB, PSU, SSD and RAM basically unless anything else would be needed (fans etc)

Budget isn’t really an issue. Doesn’t need to be overkill but would like it to take whatever general programs I put on it and be as long lasting for future windows versions as possible.

I’m well out of the loop and don’t know the latest MB/CPU combos to go for or wheher Intel or AMD so any help here appreciated.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the response dfour

Though now I look at that figure, maybe budget is a bit more of an issue than I thought! I’d like to have a bit more left for a nas enclosure

Is there anyway to come in under £600 for what I need or is that just how much it is these days?

Would I need to go for mATX and rethink the case?

I do like that case though…

Man of Honour
Would I need to go for mATX and rethink the case?
Swapped out for MATX:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £659.89 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

be as long lasting for future windows versions as possible
We don't know what the requirements are going to be for future Windows, but I think AM5 has a better chance than most (newest platform, most likely to be supported for 3+ years) and the 8600G has an NPU. The other possibility to cover AI is to buy an older CPU (e.g. 5600G, 12400) and leave space for a graphics card, so that you can fit something like a RX 7600 in the future (which has AI cores).

Another alternative is just to buy something that is enough "for now" and accept that you may or may not get away with keeping it long-term, e.g.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £514.93 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Soldato
Unfortunatly mini-itx is an expensive option as ther are no cheap motherboards in that form factor. There is no way you can hit under £600 using that case and mini-itx AFAIK.

As Tetras has posted above M-atx is a much better option for your budget.

Soldato
I currently don’t meet windows upgrade requirements so need a new PC

It’s for everyday office/home type use with some light audio and video editing/conversion, music player and maybe plex server.

Not for gaming (unless very light), so ideally no separate graphics card.

Micro atx or mini itx MB - Ideally to fit inside a lazer3d cravo 7 (while it’s still available here)

Will have music, movies media etc storage separately in nas or whatever.

So CPU, MB, PSU, SSD and RAM basically unless anything else would be needed (fans etc)

Budget isn’t really an issue. Doesn’t need to be overkill but would like it to take whatever general programs I put on it and be as long lasting for future windows versions as possible.

I’m well out of the loop and don’t know the latest MB/CPU combos to go for or wheher Intel or AMD so any help here appreciated.

What are your current specs?

Windows can be a funny thing when it comes to requirements, depending on what you have your rig might just need a bios update or something relatively minor.

Soldato
this

or just buy an ex-corporate pc with an intel 8th gen and above - these will be win 11 compatible, and will be much cheaper than any new custom build

I did this for my Dads office PC. he went from 1st Gen i5 windows 7 32bit. to a SFF HP with i5 8500 and a quadro GPU running windows 11 , night and day difference ... for about £100 - £150. plus a quadro P400,P600 will support hardware playback at 4k with virtually no load on the CPU

Back
Top Bottom