A Window To Wales

Soldato
Right, it's looking like finding decent quality green LED fans is going to be impossible...

Except for the Thermaltake Riing, Bitfenix Spectre PRO, Corsair SP and Silverstone Air Penetrator all available in green LED, and all available from Overclockers :p

Or is there something super specific you require from your intake fans?

Associate
OP
Main problem is I want a fan that will run PWM at very low speeds. All seem to be non PWM and high speed / noisy fans, but the Corsair would have been absolutely perfect had it been green

Soldato
Depends how accessible they are and what type. Generally you've got three types: 3mm round dome (either "water clear" or frosted), 5mm round dome or surface mount (SMD). The first two are legs (pins) out of the plastic and can just be unsoldered or snipped off and a new one soldered on. Depends how much clearance you've got to the plastic though or whether they can be removed from the plastic - so the iron doesn't melt it. If it's SMD then it's tinnier and you're talking a rectangle with flat legs out the side that solder onto pads on a PCB. Possible but you may need a fine-point soldering iron and a magnifying glass.

Another possibility would be to filter them. If you're doing filters you're into subtractive colour mixing so you can't go from say blue to red but as you're starting with white, you can filter out everything but the green with a green filter. This will make it dimmer as you're literally cutting out 2/3 of the light. You may also find that the LED gives off a fairly specific green so you may not be able to get it spot on. Worth a try for the cost of some filters.

Associate
OP
Was hoping to have all fans PWM running off a pair of Aquaero 6's, CPU loop off one and GPU off the other. So don't technically need them to be PWM but be better if they were :)
Can't find an SP 120 LED PWM anywhere, only the non LED version :(

Associate
OP
Cheers Cenedd, looks like I'll be pulling one apart and ordering some filters then if I do go for those fans, certainly sounds the safer option and as you say, also allows slight colour changes until it's bang on :)

Soldato
A pair of Aquaeros? Are you doing that cos you want two screens or for the extra headers? If you don't need the extra headers to be PWM, you could just add one or more PowerAdjust3 Standards. One of those will give you a flow sensor header for a High Flow without the USB (although you have one on the Aquaero anyway and don't need another unless you have two loops to monitor), a temp header and fan header that does about 30W of voltage control rather than PWM.
For rad fans, just bank them up and stick them on one header. You only get rpm reading from one but if they're identical it's reasonable to assume they're all at the same speed from the same voltage/PWM duty.

Soldato
If these are for rads then forget pretty much everything I said.

Get some photography gels and cover up white LEDs, or get a load of green triangle Quality Street and use the wrappers :p honestly

Associate
OP
Current plan is for 1 Aquaero to run the CPU loop of D5 pump, 7 fans and temp sensor + possible flow sensor and then the 2nd one to run GPU loop (same minus 1 fan). Massive overkill I know but liking the thought of 2 completely separate set-ups and also think it could look quite good :p

Was thinking front rad + top rad having a header each on Aquaero 1 and then bottom rad in + bottom rad out having one each on Aquaero 2 :)

Yep, all for the massively OTT watercooling LePhuronn. Never even thought about the ol' sweet wrapper trick haha was looking at using window tint film for another part of the project but guessing that could also be used... Cheers for all the advice guys :D

Associate
OP
GOOD NEWS: Another delivery, this time a heat gun and some PETG tubing.

BAD NEWS: The back of the van must have been rather warm, as the PETG tubing has gone a tad limp...

IMG_20160930_123005.jpg

Soldato
Far be it for me to discourage you from the path of overkill :D but you could - if you wanted to - run that from one Aquaero. Two is good too.
Flow header: High Flow Sensor (don't forget the cable!)
Fan headers: D5, Rad1 fanx3 (splitter),Rad2 fanx2(splitter), Case fansx2(splitter)

Second flow sensor if you're running a separate loop could be either the more expensive USB version of the flow sensor and attach by 4-pin Aquabus (make one or buy one, they only supply 3-pin which doesn't carry power) or buy a PowerAdjust connect by Aquabus (3-pin is fine as it requires a molex power anyway) and attach the flow sensor to that. That also gives you another 30W fan header for voltage control only so you could run a pump off it or another bank of fans.

Soldato
The picture is of hardline tubing?! You sure that's not just soft tubing been mis-picked?

The Haribo are for distracting yourself from the pain of the burnt fingertips after you forgot to put on the gloves you bought especially to prevent such injury, right?! :D

Associate
OP
I'm getting worried now, you of all people telling me not to go overkill?! Haha just thought it would look better and be more interesting to set it up with dual Aquaero's tbh, and quite liked the idea of keeping the 2 loops completely separate even though it's not really necessary... You know what it's like, why do it the easy way when there's always a more complicated route to take?! :D

It is indeed soft tubing, even though the invoice is correct and clearly states it should be EK PETG. Never mind, filled in a Webform so now to just sit back and wait for parcel number 2 to arrive, hopefully with some non flaccid tubing :D

Edit: Hang on, bought the gloves?! Don't be silly, they were an unnecessary item included with the heat gun and will probably be lost long before the bending of tubing starts :D

Soldato
No, no. Not trying to persuade you not to go overkill. Just as long as it's deliberate overkill. Wouldn't want you to feel you had to spend more than is necessary but if you're doing it by choice, that's fine....it's not proper overkill if it isn't informed overkill! :D

Maybe it's some of that easy-bending hardline! ;)

Associate
OP
That's very true, especially as the whole Aqua Computer set up can be far more complicated and confusing than is necessary. Made even worse by the fact they don't even include the correct cables with the hardware they're selling!
This one is definitely a deliberate OTT build though, not sure anyone has ever 'needed' a custom case, 1560mm of radiator space, dual hardline loops or twin Aquaero's but hey, if it can be done then it should be done, right?! :D

Haha give it a few weeks and I'll be praying I'd kept the easy-bending stuff!

In more good news I now know what the missus has ordered me for my birthday: A Silhouette Portrait so I can do some custom vinyl! And even better, it's going to be here early... Now I just need to intercept the postman and accidentally open it :D

Associate
So, it's another minuscule update... Sorry guys, told you it was gonna be a slow one! :D

Ordered an insert ready for when the bending commences (before I forgot what Cenedd told me to get!), and some of the Barrow fittings I'll be needing, just to see what the quality is like before ordering even more...

IMG_20160928_102131.jpg

did you get them from ebay or aliexpress

also tell us if the orings are good when you leak test as i am thinking of getting them too

thanks a best of luck

Associate
OP
They were from a well know Barrow seller on eBay, very good service and I'm impressed with the quality of the fittings, seem just as good as the Monsoon ones I've used previously. Once OcUK replace the soft tubing with the EK PETG I'll give it a go and let you know :)

Associate
OP
Cheers, there'll definitely be a few Marmite moments design wise once the case arrives (especially regarding loop design...) but hopefully I won't be the only one that likes it!

Associate
OP
Early birthday present from the missus has arrived, now to waste a few miles of vinyl figuring out how to use it! Instructions? What instructions?! :cool::D

IMG_20161003_100656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom