Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2016, Yas Marina - Race 21/21

Rate the 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gux

Gux

Associate
I think it is best to say mechanical problems rather than engine problems. I can't remember the specifics if each bad start so Hamilton may have messed some up himself but most (if not all) were due to the flaw in the clutch design. Which puts the ball back in Mercedes court to give Hamilton a better car next year.

Though it does raise the question why it seemed Hamilton suffered more clutch problems than Rosberg.

That same clutch flaw design that allowed Rosberg to jump Hamilton at the start in Australia, Bahrain, Spain, Monza while using the same clutch? :rolleyes:

Please stop making excuses. They were poor starts by Hamilton, just as Rosberg had poor starts in Germany & Hungary.

Soldato
That same clutch flaw design that allowed Rosberg to jump Hamilton at the start in Australia, Bahrain, Spain, Monza while using the same clutch? :rolleyes:

Please stop making excuses. They were poor starts by Hamilton, just as Rosberg had poor starts in Germany & Hungary.

But it really is the car engine failures that cost him though as even with the poor starts he still racked in the points by finishing 2nd.

Finishing 2nd us far better then finishing last or outside the points Talley. Just ask roseberg mate

Soldato
Really? I guess you mean when they "played" the rules by giving Lewis 3 new engines in one weekend. They did everything they could to give him a chance, unfortunately for him it didn't work out. All they asked him this time was to drive the car they gave him at the pace the car is easily capable off.
They're on the grid to finish 1st and 2nd, not to be overtaken by slower cars because one of their drivers doesn't drive the car as fast as he can.

Then roseberg should go and overtake a slower Hamilton then.

Soldato
My thoughts on the whole ordeal.

I have lost all respect for Nico (once again). To suggest that Hamilton should let him past to increase their lead over 3rd and 4th was a childish call. Mercedes should've told him to fight for the win. Instead they too back Nico by telling Hamilton to up his pace.

If this race showed anything. It was that Hamilton is by far the superior driver of the two. To my knowledge (and please correct me of I'm wrong). Lewis has never relied team instructions to get his way.

These scenes not only make Nico and Mercedes look bad. It also makes the sport as a whole look bad.

As for the race. I really enjoyed it. Max is truly an awesome driver far better than Nico. That's for sure.

Associate
That's a hope, but don't underestimate the huge amount of resources and money Mercedes can bring to bear, and the fact that Mercedes is a factory team making the engine and chassis in tandem. RB used to be treated as the Renault factory team, but those days are over.

I just fear (that as Toto alluded to a few months back) that with stability in the rules, other teams catch up. With a shake up of the rules, the team with the most money makes the best job of a new car.

I think all these engine research and design departments have been like caged animals since we entered the hybrid era. These cages will be opened under the new regs. Fiinally they will be able to throw there full resources behind your projects.

Soldato
If this race showed anything. It was that Hamilton is by far the superior driver of the two. To my knowledge (and please correct me of I'm wrong). Lewis has never relied team instructions to get his way.

Monaco GP 2016:
An ecstatic Hamilton, who cut Rosberg’s lead in the championship from 43 points to 24, started third on the grid but went past his slower team-mate after the German was instructed to let him by.

Hamilton said: “I came here today thinking: ‘I have just got to go and do it,’ because no one is going to give it to me. I didn’t know whether I could win, but knowing that it would rain opened up the window of opportunity. I thought Nico had a problem. I knew when I was behind him that I was much, much quicker than him. I was also conscious that none of us are going to win this race if I am stuck behind.

When the team ask you to push and you are not able to and it is hindering the team’s chance of winning we have that agreement. I said thanks for being a gentleman.”

Rosberg, asked if it was a painful decision to give way to his only serious title rival, said: “It was more painful the feeling that I had in the car. That was the worst. Around Monaco, that’s not a nice feeling to have. I had no confidence at all. The second thing [team order] was just a consequence of that.”

A relieved Toto Wolff, the Mercedes motorsport director, said: “If I wore a red cap like Niki Lauda I would take it off to Nico. He gave up his place and understood our global position, and that showed a great sense of team work.

“These last couple of weeks have strengthened Lewis and our relationship. This is just what the doctor ordered. He needed that win, we needed that win. We told Nico to up the pace and if not let Lewis by. Then we gave him the call of letting him by and he did it immediately. Not one single question. For Nico it was a messy day. All his bad luck came in one race.”

Soldato
My thoughts on the whole ordeal.

I have lost all respect for Nico (once again). To suggest that Hamilton should let him past to increase their lead over 3rd and 4th was a childish call. Mercedes should've told him to fight for the win. Instead they too back Nico by telling Hamilton to up his pace.

These scenes not only make Nico and Mercedes look bad. It also makes the sport as a whole look bad.

As for the race. I really enjoyed it. Max is truly an awesome driver far better than Nico. That's for sure.

wow heavily tinted glasses or what

It was only LH going slowly, no-one else forcing him to - hence he looked bad not Mercedes and not Nico

IF LH had been going at the fastest possible pace then Im sure Nico wouldnt have said anything to the team

You are also deluded if you thnk LH has never used team orders before to his advantage, Im sure its happened at Merc (and McLaren) even apart from the above

How precisely did Hamilton driving slowly to try to win the WDC, hurt the brand of Mercedes?

If Hamilton had driven at his true pace, and Rosberg had driven at his pace, neither car would likely have been shown on screen much for the whole race.
By driving slowly and actually making a "race", both cars were then on screen for 90% of the race, which I would say the brand and sponsors would prefer.

I would actually say, the team moaning about it and trying to tell a driver that he can't compete the only way possible, would have more of a negative impact on the brand.

Sky always show the leader at regular intervals , not to mention it was a WDC fight so even more viewers would want to see where the leader was in comparison to anyone else.

Also if the Merc's are going at full speed its more like a proper "fight" (if LH goes off in to the distance he at least wins the "ethical" WDC by trouncing Nico in the last race, now he just looks stupid and didnt prove anything) rather than going as slowly as humanly possible to try and **** someone else

You have no idea how the race would have ended up had LH gone at full pace, for all we know he could have burnt his tyres up or gone into the distance - but either way at least it would have been a proper title fight. Sunday was not a race at all and no-one in their right mnd can describe it as such.

The brand was hurt by the petulance of LH's antics on track by not PERFORMING as the car was capable of , Merc dont put in 100's of millions every year to see their cars crawl around the track.. I bet the Merc board cringed seeing him going so slowly.

Last edited:
Associate
Hamilton is also responsible for losing the WDC. His poor starts in Australia, Bahrain, Spain, Monza & Suzuka cost him at least 3 wins this season alone. With those 3 wins he would have won the WDC comfortably.

Stop blaming it all on engine problems. Both reliability and his poor starts has cost him at the end.

Australia, Bahrain and Monza - I agree as Lewis was on pole.
Spain - Yes he was on pole but neither he nor Nico finished.
Suzuka - He started P2 but even with a good start he would remain P2 as Nico's start was also good. Furthermore considering Merc would have kept both drivers on the same strategy, there was not a big enough delta between both cars for Lewis to get past Nico. We all know how difficult it is to pass at Suzuka in similar cars.

Nico himself lost two wins from pole due to bad starts so in the grand scheme of things Lewis has had one extra bad start that cost him a win. The majority of points lost were at Malaysia. But anyhow season over Nico is champ bring on 2017. Nico should now be more relaxed seeing as he has become champ so hoping both drivers have no reliability issues, lets see how good Nico really is.

Soldato
You have no idea how the race would have ended up had LH gone at full pace, for all we know he could have burnt his tyres up or gone into the distance - but either way at least it would have been a proper title fight. Sunday was not a race at all and no-one in their right mnd can describe it as such.

Do you actually believe that? How would Lewis being 20 seconds up the road with Nico coasting around in a safe 2nd place with the buffer of being able to slip to third to still win the WDC be a proper title race?

As it stands Lewis did the only thing possible to ensure a title fight until the flag. What you are suggesting is that he forfeits his championship half way through the race!?

Coo-coo land. :confused:

Caporegime
I stand corrected

Heikki kovalainen moved aside in 2008 to help lewis when team orders were banned 'off his own freewill' lol when it wasn't mathematically over too. Lewis has often benefited from team orders, like most of the drivers.

I saw the link to Rosbergs twitter feed with the video thanking his mum and dad with a video of him karting with his dad watching over him. Very cool, different world!

Soldato
wow heavily tinted glasses or what

It was only LH going slowly, no-one else forcing him to - hence he looked bad not Mercedes and not Nico

IF LH had been going at the fastest possible pace then Im sure Nico wouldnt have said anything to the team

You are also deluded if you thnk LH has never used team orders before to his advantage, Im sure its happened at Merc (and McLaren) even apart from the above

Sky always show the leader at regular intervals , not to mention it was a WDC fight so even more viewers would want to see where the leader was in comparison to anyone else.

Also if the Merc's are going at full speed its more like a proper "fight" (if LH goes off in to the distance he at least wins the "ethical" WDC by trouncing Nico in the last race, now he just looks stupid and didnt prove anything) rather than going as slowly as humanly possible to try and **** someone else

The brand was hurt by the petulance of LH's antics on track by not PERFORMING as the car was capable of , Merc dont put in 100's of millions every year to see their cars crawl around the track.. I bet the Merc board cringed seeing him going so slowly.

Sorry but how is driving to the distance with roseberg behind him a much more entertaining battle?

the Championship was on the line only if 2 more cars where fighting along the two mercedes...

Soldato

Would you like to read my post again, I wasn't making any excuses. Firstly Mercedes themselves admitted to there being a problem with the design of the clutch meaning that their starts were inconsistent. Unless you're suggesting Mercedes were only making excuses too? Secondly, even accepting that what Mercedes said was the truth, as my post said it still raises why Hamilton had more bad starts than Rosberg.

Soldato
I find it odd that some people are unable to comprehend their favourite driver (or sometimes team) is capable of not always being a top class sportsman or making mistakes or even not being 100% some days and will argue blind to any other possible reasoning.

This isn't a new thing but it's been particularly noticeable this year as it's been Hamilton on the losing end to someone who many would have you believe wasn't fit to lace his race boots... Perhaps the Gulf in talent isn't quite as great some would believe and although Lewis is the better driver you have to give Rosberg credit for making the most of it.

Soldato
Really nice interview with Rosberg on Radio 5 breakfast this morning. You can tell the pressure's off - very relaxed and came across and very honest and likeable. No doubt at all about how much winning the WDC has meant to him.

Soldato
Then roseberg should go and overtake a slower Hamilton then.

Already covered that in one of my posts.

Don't think Nico could have challenged Lewis. For once Lewis is quicker but more importantly we've seen many times how much Mercedes struggles in dirty air behind a car that's at least a bit competitive. He's done all he needed to, without risking any possible contact trying to overtake Lewis.

Caporegime
So its because his an inferior driver to lewis? yea thats pretty much our points though.

Makes him winning the WDC more funny

I imagine 7/10 of the times at least in the world championship the inferior driver has won the title. Even when Lewis has won the titles it's highly debatable he's ever been considered the best there is. If you expect the best to win and get upset when they don't F1 really isn't the sport for you.

Back
Top Bottom