Active Signal Mode when using multiple displays??

Associate
Im using a TCL TV as my 2nd monitor (extended display), I have set the resolution to 2560x1440 @ 120hz and the TV reports this change when on desktop but noticed when i play a game the TV reports a signal change to 3840x2160. Going into System>Display>Advanced display (Windows 11), I notice its reporting 2560x1440p for Desktop mode but 3840x2160 for Active Signal Mode.

Any ideas why when i play a game that the signal reverts to a 4K signal despite me setting the res for the monitor at 1440p and also in the games im playing?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, games can change the resolution, so I suppose it is just going the highest it can.

I seem to remember a similar situation I had with a TV. There is some file or other that specifies the possible refresh rates and so on for the monitor that resides in Windows. You you can edit that in using a special editor. I had to remove the 4K information to stop the game selecting it all the time.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the app, but if you keep hunting you will find it.

Associate
You'll need to delete the 3840x2160 option and have only the resolution you want to play at created in custom resolution utility for the tv profile,

or set the device to no scaling within the nvidia control panel and see if that works as an alternate method,

if you ever want to revert back to your old settings, you can either delete the profile entirely and reconnect the display or add the resolutions back you deleted.

I was going through this process earlier for an external device, to find the limitations of it :)

Back
Top Bottom