Advice on coworker's smell

Man of Honour
IMG-8523.gif

Man of Honour
It's a tough conversation to have, this was actually a roleplay scenario we had to cover in a management training course, I can't remember everything that was said now but one thing to keep in mind is if this has deteriorated over time it could be symptomatic of some underlying issue like poor mental health, illness etc so I wouldn't go in all guns blazing. One of the key things however was not to not be too indirect i.e. don't just talk about hygiene in an abstract way, make it clear that it's something you'd like them specifically to focus more on but do probe beforehand to understand how they are feeling in general, any problems outside work etc.

I'll be honest, in the past my personal hygiene hasn't always been the best (without being awful) depending on what's going on at home, lack of time etc when I used to commute 20hrs a week, I reckon if someone called me out on it in the right way I'd be a bit sheepish and focus on it a lot, sometimes you just need a polite kick up the backside.

Man of Honour
I had a colleague who had a very bad smell - a mix of sweat and damp/badly dried clothing, so he smelt like a stagnant river or something.

His team leader addressed it in a "Look mate, there's something you need to know" style conversation. He eventually acknowledged that yes he did smell and said he would try to change his clothes drying routine. Ultimately though nothing happened and he probably still stinks today.

We had the same issue in a different company a few years ago as well, there was no air conditioning and in the summer it would get uncomfortably warm and people would get sweaty and smelly even after a day sat down doing no physical activity.

One of the team leaders addressed it directly with the smelly guy in the open office but not at mega volume - "Mike, is that you? You're smelling a bit ripe pal, here, chuck on some deodorant"

The next day he shouted out "Guys we know the office gets hot and there's nothing we can do about it, and in summer that means people are going to get sweaty. If you realise you're a bit stinky, there are brand new uniforms in the back office, change your shirt and there's always deodorant on the Team Leader desk."

That time it worked fine and people would quite often just grab a fresh t shirt because the issue had been made public so there was no stigma attached to grabbing a new top.

Soldato
I work from home all the time, so if there's a stink in my office, it's me. :p Thankfully, if that happens, I can just go and take a shower in the bathroom next door. :D

Back
Top Bottom