Advice on Sky, Sky Go...

Associate
I subscribed to Sky for F1 and the ability to use Sky Go when I'm not at home.

They have a ridiculous 2 device limit and 1 change of device limit per month.

I had to format my computer and I had previously set up a notebook and when I came to set up my computer I hit the "could not register device" error.

I phone up Sky and they tell me that I can only change a device once per month, even though it is the exact same PC I had set up previously but had to format.

I tell them this information and they wouldn't listen they just kept re-iterating that I'm only allowed to make 1 change per month. I asked to be put through to cancellations and I was told they won't even speak to me because I'm under minimum contract.

I told them I'm not prepared to put up with the service and that I would be more than happy to pay the rest of the contract and I was put on hold for 15 mins and they came back and still told me that they won't speak to me.

Now I can't use Sky Go, I know it resets at the start of the month but as soon as I register one device that means I've made my one change for the month and I won't be able to register any other devices even though there will be one free slot.

Are Sky in breach of contract by not allowing me to access Sky Go?

Associate
OP
Why do people immediately jump to 'breaches of contract' etc :(

But anyway, doubt it. Sky Go is a free service they're offering, you don't pay extra to use it so I doubt there's anything you can do. If they just decide to pull sky go for any reason I don't think you could do anything so this hardly seems like something you can do anything about.

End of the month is only 4 days away, can't you just live without it til then?
Sky Go is not a free service, if you don't have a Sky subsciption then you have to buy a 'monthly ticket', Sky choose to include it with your package.

End of the month is 4 days away, but once I register one device then I won't be able to register another till the 1st of August, that is pretty ******* ridiculous. Then if my PC ever messes up I can't even watch Go till my devices reset the following month?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Adding or removing a device counts as one change, Sky Customer Services confirms as such. So if i add my device at the start of the month that is my one change for the month.
It is a free service, you get it if you subscribe to one of the tv packs.

Why would they do it free with no subs ?
;)
It's not a free service if you have to pay for it otherwise. I get it as part of my subscription package that I pay for.

Associate
OP
I had this problem last month, at the start of the month all my devices were reset and no devices were registered, I then registered my computer and it wouldnt let me register any other device even though there was an open slot.

Associate
OP
really?!? you would leave sky because of this. do virgin or any other company offer the same service without these issues?
Yup, I only got Sky for F1 and the ability to watch it on other devices, I can use iPlayer for free for the 10 races that BBC cover live.

Im not paying for something I cant use because of some ridiculous "but they give it to you for free so they can do what they want" ********.
I take it they got rid of the "add an second account email and register new devices under the new email" loophole that people were using?
Yeah they closed that loophole months ago.

Associate
OP
not really, most people have a laptop/desktop and a phone/tablet. now, the chances of someone upgrading both of these in the same month is remote to say the least, no impossible, but not enough to warrant offering. why is 1 device not enough? surely you don't have to carry 2 devices with you to watch F1?
I had to reformat my computer which is enough to make my PC different enough to count as a new device, on the 1st ill be able to add my computer, then will have to wait a whole other month to be able to register another device.

Associate
OP
It's exactly like I said it was.....

You can subscribe to Sky Go for a selected fee without the rest of the Sky Subscription. If you have a subscription you get Sky Go free....

Thus it is a free service to Sky Subscribers. It is not free to non-Sky subscribers.

End of.

If he only wanted the Sky Go, he could have paid just for Sky Go.
A) You can't get Sky F1 without a Sky Subscription
B) If I did pay for just Sky Go I would still have these same silly issues

Associate
OP
I vote sky pull SkyGo as a packaged feature and charge £10 per device like I previously said. then no one can complain. you can add as many devices as you want, as you are paying for the privilege.

or........................you can just be happy you don't have to pay an extra £20 a month and live with this form of stopping people abusing the system.
Do they give you a portable satellite that I can take with me when I go away for weekends with multiroom??

The whole point of Sky Go is the Go part, you keep babbling on about this multiroom ****, If they offered a £10 addon for Sky Go that give me more devices/changes I would buy it, as it stands they dont.

Associate
OP
Im not trying to dredge up arguments, just thought I'd follow up so people thinking of getting Sky Go Monthly Ticket or Sky for the "free" Sky Go addon, dont.

After a LENGTHY chat with a Sky Advisor last month I was told that if I waited till 1st of July (it apparently resets your devices every month) I would be able to add two devices but not remove any for another month as 'one change' is either an add and remove, two adds or two removes.

So my wife registers her laptop while shes working down south this week, today I come to register my laptop and what a surprise, I cannot register the device, I phone up and they fob me off with a faux apology for the wrong information I was given and now I have to wait till 1st of AUGUST before I can add my laptop, at which point I wouldn't be able to add another device.

Roll on March 2013 so I can dump sky.

Associate
OP
It is a reason to leave Sky, the only reason I got it was for Sky Go when I'm not at home, and that is a lot.

I've already had to wait a month because of a screw up with my system I had to format it losing the security cookie thing that Sky Go leaves on your PC, on the "advice" of the Sky CS Agent I removed that device ready for this month so I could add both laptops, my wife added hers and now I can't add mine for ANOTHER month.

I understand that it has to have restrictions to stop account sharing and the like but there is no margin for error, if something goes wrong with one or both devices you are screwed and you have to wait 2 months just to get two devices registered again.

Associate
OP
You seem to have changed your story now though.

Previously you said that you had devices registered as a laptop (which you had to reformat) and thus were waiting until you were able to put the licence on again. The other item registered as a device was your wife's tablet.

Now though, you are saying she has taken the licence that became free again and used it on her laptop? So now you have to wait another month because the devices registered are her laptop and her tablet?
I haven't changed any story, the devices get reset at the start of the month, two slots were free yesterday, my wife registered her laptop which she has down south with her this week, she didnt take a tablet as she is doing work on the laptop, I can see her laptop on the "my devices" section of my Sky Go settings and an empty slot, when I try and register my laptop it says sorry unable to register device.

Associate
OP
Alright calm down.

I was of the impression that your ability to change and reset a device was only once a month, however not that all your devices become reset to nothing. Was that something you asked them to do then? As I've never had my two registered devices reset to nothing at the end of the month.
I am calm, I'm just bored of the witch hunt you seem to be on trying to discredit me with inconsistencies you seem to see everywhere.

I didn't get them to reset anything, at the first of every month your devices get reset, when you log in it then re-registers them on the system.

Associate
OP
I know theres something wrong but no one seems to be able to or wants to do something about it, I always get fobbed off by Sky CS because its a "free" service as part of my subscription. Just because I don't pay for it doesn't mean I cant complain about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom