Age old question MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

Commissario
I fully blame YouTubers and their idiocy.
Yup.
Remember when the first M1 machines came out? Remember the big deal that the YouTubers made, saying how fantastic the M1 MBA was in that it could edit 4k videos with ease.
They still can! An M1 MBA is still a superb tool for video editing for anyone. Nothing has changed to make it less good at editing videos at all. The newer models will do it a little bit quicker but there is literally nothing wrong with an M1 or M2 Air for anyone.

I bought an M2 MBA last year to replace my launch day M1 and for the things I do, I really didn’t notice any difference in performance. It was nice to have the new shape and I’d nearly filled up the SSD so doubling the size to 1Tb was worthwhile for me.

I keep looking at the 14” MBP and then I take a step back and remember that the M2 MBA I’ve got doesn’t struggle with anything I throw at it so I’d simply be wasting my money if I were to upgrade.

@GSXRMovistar I still reckon an MBA will suit you but I also think that you could try the trick I suggested earlier to get both models and try them. You could even send them both back within the fortnight and buy cheaper from somewhere else if you’re so inclined.

Associate
Took the plunge and went with the M3 Air 16gb. Surely if the misses M1 8gb can handle web browsing, photo editing etc then the M3 should handle everything I need to do. Ordered from apple so will give it a good test before the 14 days runout incase it starts to struggle using the programs I use.

Soldato
The Air can handle a lot more than ‘light’ photo and video editing!
Can attest to this. I'm a UX designer and have a varied workflow of Figma, a development environment and lots of demanding browser-based applications. I got a new job a couple of months ago and was expecting them to send a 14" Pro. They sent an 13" M2 Air instead (albeit with 16gb RAM). It's great so far, rarely feel like I need the extra headroom of a Pro. Definitely could do with the bigger screen size but that's about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom