Air fryers

Associate
Did you stuff them? They came out nice when I did them that way in the air fryer.

It's funny how you suddenly realise that something just works. For example I remember being well pleased when I realised how quick it is to knock out a decent baked potato. Give it (say) 8 minutes in the microwave, then coat with some salt and olive oil and after 10 minutes in the air fryer you have a crispy jacket spud in less than 20 minutes.
I haven't tried stuffing them yet but it's definitely something that I'll be experimenting with, but I thought I'd try grilling them in the air fryer rather than cooking them in my taco mix. It really brought out the sweetness of the pepper.

I'll have to try that with the jackets, I think I've been giving them too much time in the microwave and not enough in the air fryer.

Associate
It's funny how you suddenly realise that something just works. For example I remember being well pleased when I realised how quick it is to knock out a decent baked potato. Give it (say) 8 minutes in the microwave, then coat with some salt and olive oil and after 10 minutes in the air fryer you have a crispy jacket spud in less than 20 minutes.
Ya, I literally use my air fryer for all my baking/frying.

Soldato
Avoid Ninja, got the top of the range one and some sensor i've never used has gone bad and they're not interested because i got it just before they switched to 2 year warrantys; it still looks like new and is worthless.

If 'sensor' being a probe, they do not work if the object being probed has just been removed from the fridge, or is below a certain temperature, which I discovered myself because no-one reads the instructions (if it is even mentioned)

Soldato
Ok so you been unlucky but Ninja are one of the most popular selling airfryers on the market, not exactly a brand to avoid.

I’m leaning towards the AF500 flexi draw, can anyone who had this one let me know your thoughts please.
I've had mine since January. It's been excellent and I always leave it in undivided mode.

9KM73w3.jpg

Soldato
I've had mine since January. It's been excellent and I always leave it in undivided mode.

9KM73w3.jpg

You cooked a whole chicken in it? I watched a video review and the height of the drawer was a slight issue, the chicken didn't look that big either, think he said the drawer with crisper tray in only measures about 3 inches high.

Caporegime
I'm living off baked potatoes for the last 3 weeks.
I have a microwave oven that has a mode for them though so it's even easier.

Mine auto senses how long they need to cook, blasts them with radiation, then lowers the microwave power and turns on the grill and oven element.

takes 13-20 minutes depending on the potatoes size and they come out almost as good as being in an oven for 1hour+

Twice Baked potatoes are amazing btw (let them cool down then recook) , reminds me of those old school jacket potato vendors that used to be about in the 90s

Actually might try par boiling a potato in salt water , then baking it after and seeing how it comes out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe a slight derail but has anyone ever tried to poch an egg in the AF?

I do mine in the Speedi and use the steam function.
Not tried air fry, but notice plenty on a quick search.

Soldato
The question to ask is can I poach an egg in the oven? Google it, yes you can.

There is no such thing as an ‘air fryer’ it’s simply a marketing term. These little boxes we all have which people think ‘fry air’ are in fact just small convection ovens. The small size comes with benefits such as being able to heat up quickly and too a higher temperature.

These little ovens have been around for decades - what do you think melts the cheese on your subway?

So the next time anyone wonders if their little oven can cook a potato or a cake ask yourself could I cook it in a big oven? If the answers yes and it fits in your little oven then bingo ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
The question to ask is can I poach an egg in the oven? Google it, yes you can.

There is no such thing as an ‘air fryer’ it’s simply a marketing term. These little boxes we all have which people think ‘fry air’ are in fact just small convection ovens. The small size comes with benefits such as being able to heat up quickly and too a higher temperature.

These little ovens have been around for decades - what do you think melts the cheese on your subway?

So the next time anyone wonders if their little oven can cook a potato or a cake ask yourself could I cook it in a big oven? If the answers yes and it fits in your little oven then bingo ;).

Wow.

Everyday is a school...

Soldato

Yes. Although to be honest if I'm looking for a quick poached egg then I tend to do it in the microwave. Crack an egg into a mug half filled with boiled water, pierce the yolk to stop it exploding, one minute on full power (your settings may vary) and it's ready.

Last edited:
Soldato
How are people getting on with the Life span of these units? if they need replacing every few years, then they become less cost effictve than using your oven

They are also faster, i really like how quickly they can pre heat and cook.

Back
Top Bottom