• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amazon Xeon fraud! :O

Soldato
I was planning on using the CPU to flash my BIOS so I can use a V4 xeon, then return it for a refund. Technically, this is entirely within your rights with the Distance selling regs, you have 14 days after taking delivery to open it, try it out, and return it so long as the packaging is in a resellable condition - breaking seals is fine, but tearing the whole box across the front isn't.

DSR hasnt been a thing in the UK for two years now. It's called Consumer Contracts Regulations and the seller is entitled to reduce the refund if the sales value is affect and that included the breaking of seals.

Soldato
Associate
OP
DSR hasnt been a thing in the UK for two years now. It's called Consumer Contracts Regulations and the seller is entitled to reduce the refund if the sales value is affect and that included the breaking of seals.

That's good to know, thanks!

Found this bit on the legislation:

5126f9ce0e.png

In the case of my keyboards, I actually went into a PC world, and they let me open up the box and take the keyboard out and type away on it before I said I would leave it.

I may be stretching the new legislation with my intended use of this cheap Xeon, but amazon don't seem too bothered what they get sent back to them... :rolleyes:

Associate

Yep this - a lot of people think they have rights that they really don't. The place this guy used tend to be pretty generous, but through choice not law.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have really gone off 'that place' since they introduced market sellers for electronics. They buy the normal priced items then sell them themselves at massively inflated prices.

OcUK is my first port of call when I'm in the UK.

Man of Honour
Have really gone off 'that place' since they introduced market sellers for electronics. They buy the normal priced items then sell them themselves at massively inflated prices.

OcUK is my first port of call when I'm in the UK.

Won't lie that doesn't bother me as much as it should do - I often buy them unless the markup is stupid due to the convenience factor and that returns, etc. is usually pretty painless (and with a collect plus location almost literally right outside my door almost no effort).

Soldato
Yes, I agree, but how do you define the difference? The idea is because you're not there to view it/touch it in the shop, you can get it out, try it, and decide you don't want it. If I happen to get something productive out of this trial, what difference is there to if I just found the CPU to be too slow?

It's a moral issue ultimately, but as with many things if people abuse the system, the system will eventually change to the detriment of everyone.

Soldato
Oh the irony of someone being 'defrauded' whilst themselves intending to 'buy' the product with no intent on actually keeping it as they know full well they are going to return it!

When I needed a spare CPU to diagnose a fault (turned out to be a faulty CPU). Guess what... I actually went out and bought one (second-hand)! Its now sitting on my shelf and ill probably sell it on in due course or keep it as a spare.

I would imagine only a small minority of consumers engage is this sort of dishonest behaviour... but the problem is we all end up paying for it as retailers have to factor in people taking the **** like this and factor it into the price for everyone!

I don't buy the whole 'well its just like if you were testing it in the shop nonsense as well' you could hardly 'test' a boxed CPU in a store could you! (they may have the CPU in one of their display machines but this is going to have a whole range of different components around it effecting performance so isn't really much use) The internet allows us all to be informed consumers... have some self respect, do your research before buying and by all means return faulty items!

Personally I think consumer law should change to only allow sealed undamaged goods to be returned that can be then sold 'as new' (with postage costs paid by the consumer)

and I'm pretty sure no matter how much care you put into repacking that Keyboard that I would have known straight away that it had already been used and I would have been mad as hell at the retailer for selling me a used product... in reality most companies, like OCUK do, end up having to sell these items as 'B' stock at a reduced price if only because it would cost them lots of £££'s to carefully check the returned product to check it could be sold 'as new'

Last edited:
Associate
doesn't help that people post these things on the internet which itself might give others the idea of doing the same, who may never have thought of it in the first place..

THIS ^
At amazon returns my brother see's this all the time but they are pushed so much that they don't care anymore

Soldato
Wow I was amazed at the audacity of how people could do such a thing, in returning a Celeron in place of the Xeon...!

Still one benefit, in my experience, of dealing with Amazon is their excellent customer service and returns. They have been simply amazing in my experience with advanced replacement and easy to print off labels, along with almost instant refunds if you don't want an exchange. The times that I get a refund before they get the product back is impressive, then again I have rarely needed to return things that I have bought.

Then again I see that they have done well for you.....

"Already got a replacement on the way and they're collecting this onw tomorrow."

Soldato
That's terrible thought they would check it better, reminds me of Argos, several times bought items that were clearly second hand but probably assume a lot of people won't notice

Interesting.

Don't use Argos much, but returned a hairdryer Mrs Cheesyboy decided she didn't want. It was still sealed with the original tape, but they opened it at the counter to check the contents before they would issue a return.

Associate
I have only ever received fantastic customer service from Amazon, as I purchase many an item for EU delivery living abroad, you just cant buy anything over here (Finland) and if you do its ridiculously priced (less so now with the euro gaining)...still even then old generation stay highly priced throughout

Back
Top Bottom