• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer FX-6 6200 Black Edition 3.8GHz

Associate
I've read the Cyanide FX6100 review (A nice and honest approach! Budget gaming chip and that's my normal market!)... and read the AMD bashing thread :confused: that followed.

I can say that 'cos I've only build budget AMD gaming systems, since socket A :cool: Athlon 1Ghz (with a moderate OC and like to buy slightly higher end RAM...) they never let me down and generally cost a lot less ££ than Intel!

I've set my sights a little higher than normal (as this list is still almost current :p ) and thinking it has some scaleability and I'm looking at the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Tactical Memory Kit CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V, with an FX6200 3.8Ghz, but can I find an owner / review of this latest 6 core AMD?

...I suppose the "can i find an owner" comment will let lose the FX bashers :rolleyes: again... :D

My thinking is that if the 6100 / 6200 doesn't work out; I can upgrade the CPU to the next generation if the gossip is good about AM3+ chipset.

...your thought's welcome on the FX6200 and options above! Is the Tactical (8-8-8-24) worth the extra cash over the Sport version on this weeks special?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
...read the specs and looked at bang for buck - thinking of buying a 960t 'cos its a sub £100 phenom still on the market and will oc fine and unlock if I'm lucky, which kills off the other Phenom - 4x 965 as a challenger. That should see off the FX effect for now... :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is true, I encountered it with a GA-990FXA-UD5 which is one up from the UD3, it has terrible Vcore droop and forces you to up the voltage just to compensate which produces way too much heat, the UD7 has LLC functionality but also a price tag that isn't worth it. Asus is definatly the way to go.

I read that the UD7 and UD5 were terrible for Vcore - but the UD3 didn't suffer the same drop off, hence I went UD3 - am I right?

I'm looking for an SLI mobo that can offer dual PCIe2 x16 lanes (which isn't yet proved as the sweet spot - just another small future proof guess from me for a gaming rig)... at sub £120 :p The Sabertooth ... I'll look again but it looked a little overpriced and GI Joe for my Red / Black HAF 912 LOL!

Associate
OP
Can personally recommend the 960T (if you can find one)

I have mine in the asus sabertooth board and unlocked to x6 @ 4.02Ghz, doenst get above 54oc with prime or IBT.

Bargain for 90 quid imo.

...the unlock is the 'sweet spot' that has my eye - they are still out there at around £96 which is a good saving on the FX 6200 at £130 ;)

Associate
OP
This century I've bought T-Bird, Palomino, Barton and Mobile Athlon, San Diego, Windsor, (missed Clawhammer, which is a shame as I really liked the name), Toledo, whatever an Opteron 185 was, Deneb and Thuban. During that time I've bought zero Intels

I've always gone AMD. I looked forward to Bulldozer, I was quite excited about it and the return of FX - I've never owned an FX (although several I've owned have been the same silicon as FX). But as bulldozer approached it became clear something was wrong...

Massive thanks to ALL contributions.... Its nice to see people taking the time to share!

1Ghz Athlon AXIA - start of my revolution :D

I have a skt 939 FX51 in a box ...it went there when I bought the +4800 ...I never really took to the FX then! It seems the same now, too!

The 939 +4800 is well past its sell date and I think I'm going to buy an AM3+ mobo with DDR3 ram and either a 960t or scout eBay for a 1100t and wait and see if the next AMD AM3+ CPU rises up to the right point!

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Summary;

Replace a 939 +4800, with 960t for under £100 with an AM3+ mobo and ram combo - wait and see if AMD pick up the ball, with future AM3+ CPU upgrades... its no more a gamble then normal :D

Associate
OP
Summary;

Replace a 939 +4800, with 960t for under £100 with an AM3+ mobo and ram combo - wait and see if AMD pick up the ball, with future AM3+ CPU upgrades... its no more a gamble then normal :D

Just looking at options:

How well does an AMD PHENOM II X4 980 BLACK EDITION DENEB core Or AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz (95W) THURBAN core, sound as gaming options instead of FX6200.

Don't you just love eBay :D specials

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just looking at options:

How well does an AMD PHENOM II X4 980 BLACK EDITION DENEB core, sound as gaming options instead of FX6200.

Don't you just love eBay :D specials

The 980 Black ended its auction at +£150 and is now readvertised at BUY IT NOW £170; was it that good a CPU? :eek:

I know I was hunting down the last of the Phenom II's because the FX is a little off the pace in gaming terms but the 960t (Zosma) new, at sub £100 is looking tidy; any experience with this CPU out there?

Associate
OP
WOW - GTX 680... that's a league I can't dream to afford :D on PC bits!

Compared to my SLI pair of GSO9600xxx :lol: ...back to budget gaming land!

Associate
OP
Well I'm looking for an upgrade path to the core of my rig atm;

Mobo, CPU and Ram; As my AN8 Fatal1ty is looking fatally wounded and the 4Gb DDR OCZ cas2 ram and 4800+ is at end of gaming life.

I always seem to have an evolving gaming rig, generally built from high spec 'previous' generation gear, its miles cheaper and proven by the time I buy it :D However my last shopping trip gave me a power, cosmetic and sound quality upgrade;

Coolermaster HAF912+
Thermaltake SLI PSU
Uprated main PSU
NZXT Sentry, additional 200mm, 140mm quiet fans for the case
Zaleman GFX fan upgrade

...the pair of GSO9600xxx are newer than the mobo, so they stay for now!

I'd like a fast(ish) CPU, 8 Gb DDR3, and mobo that will survive the next CPU upgrade... for around £250? with an after market air cooler; £275

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 990FX 'V' ASRock 990FX Extreme3 at the core with either 8 Gb of Crucial Ballistics Tactical 1866 or 1600. With a Phenom II 960t or the FX6200 with a corsair A50.

The UD3 is more expensive, so I'm at the 960t, A50 and 1600 ram £272 + p&p

Extreme3 which is cheaper allows, FX6200, A50 and 1866 ram £287 +p&p

...either way I WILL upgrade the CPU again (IF AM3+ makes it?) so my price point could be;

UD3, 960t, A50 1866 ram at £284 giving me a stable path to upgrade the CPU... Having last built a i486DD2 66 - I have no reference to Intel prices lol

Associate
OP
So... Gaming Mobo (SLI), CPU (with after sales air cooler) and 8Gb ram - minimum amount of future proofing, for change out of £300.

I only know AMD since my last Intel was an i485 DX2 66 ...

Intel thoughts welcome :D

Associate
OP
Get a Sabertooth if you're intent on going with AMD, it'll be miles better than a UD3.

Sabertooth has had a bit to larger fault /RTB report for my liking, at that price point.

The ASRock 990FX Extreme3 had reasonable reviews and its dropped in price ...an AMD mobo for £80 that supports 2x 16 PCIe for SLI with DDR3 1866and UCC supported - cool colours, what could go wrong :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
The reviews say that the 8120 overclocked is on par with the 2500k, and the 8120 is cheaper and basically the whole FX range is SUPPOSED to be overclocked....

Amen... OC'd every chip I've owned since an AXIA 1Ghz :D why else buy AMD - its an enthusiast CPU that sometimes kicks intels ar$e for the ££ as a bonus!

But as I've said before - my buget is normally "previous" generation and I reap the benefits of price cuts when the new badboys arrive... so the FX8*** is not my target.

Sadley for me Phenom II's that survived are scarce - pricey second hand and that leaves the 960t (possible to unlock a core or two) as a sub £100 option.

Associate
OP
Intel option... 2500k is at the higher end of my budget, but I've seen plenty of Sandybridge optimised RAM at sweet prices, infact most DDR3 seems to be tested against Intel Mobo's and not AMD.

I like SLI, and whilst my 2 GSO9600xxx are not top drawer, it's what I have - by upgrading the mobo ram and CPU this time around - I get another boost in speed when my SLI package moves or a notch or 3 next upgrade...

So an Intel mobo option? ...cos I don't know nuffing "buried head in sand" aboutn Intel chipsets, mobo's etc other than everyone says 'sandybridge' like its the golden handshake to success.

What's the Intel equiv of a 990FXA mobo?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
mmm - looking at Intel Z68, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III spec mobo's... maybe there isn't much of a price gap any more: learning mode on!

Associate
OP
P67 or Z68>? Looking at the Asrock Extreme range to go with a i5 2500 - HELP ...out of my normal AMD depth...

Associate
OP
Done the rounds and to switch from AMD to Intel means the Z68 mobo is a few quid more... a lot more IF I want 2x16 PCIe SLI (in fact i did'nt find one for Intel co's I stopped looking at £140 for the mobo) the i5 2500 is a few quid more (Like +£160) ... it all adds up to well over my normal budget gaming PC costs... but thanks for the input!

Add to the equation I have a natural TWO pc evolution... the (AMD) gaming PC is current... my ADMIN PC is built from surviving (AMD) hand-me-down gaming PC parts, as I like to keep my gaming PC as NET/ADMIN free as possible - so I'd 'end of line' my 2n'd PC supply of parts if I went INTEL... A worthy cause if it was A CLEAR CUT WINNER... I like to count bang for buck with all parts such as mobo, cpu, ram, cooler costs included - Its not a done deal yet IF I'm building a buget PC... that may be upgradeable!

Whilst there is a minor tremor in the 'FORCE' that see's INTEL winning the power struggle... I think that the ££'s are still in favour of AMD if I look at overall costs and need to avoid 'bleeding edge specifications' - From an Intel POV no one has said anything other than i2500k is great... which I don't doubt having seen the stats... Its just not adding up for me... I suppose that's why AMD hasn't gone BUST - I'm not alone! :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OMG.... I'm looking at Intel for sub £300

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 S1155 (2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 - dual SLI x8 mode) part of my compromise - cheers Martini1991
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Corsair A50 Socket Intel 1155, Performance CPU Cooler

Shopped around and all of the above comes too.... £282.02 +P&P which is wow... but cut some corners for the i5 2500k :D

1: Is the mobo any good... cos its pretty cheap

2: Will 8gb Ballistix Sport be ok, cos reviews I've read point me to believe that the Intel route does not reward High spec/speed ram like an OC AMD will... very little gain from low CAS etc!

I have to say, from what I've read - this rig should eat a current Phenom II 960t for breakfast and then go looking for seconds!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom