• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We’ve covered what AMD’s Richard Huddy talked about with regards to Mantle during his presentation at PDXLAN. Do check out the article if you haven’t, as AMD has revealed a lot of exciting news about the scope of Mantle adoption, the public SDK for Mantle and how both Nvidia and Intel can leverage it.
Now we bring you even more exciting news with regards to FreeSync. The resident Gaming Scientist at AMD, Richard Huddy revealed that FreeSync monitors should actually start shipping in December. With market availability between December and January. Not only that but according to Huddy, AMD expects that FreeSync monitors will be approximately $100 less expensive than their Nvidia counterparts.
AMD FreeSync Monitors Will Come to Market Within The Next Two Months – Will Save You $100 Over Equivalent G-Sync Monitors
So just a quick reminder of what FreeSync is. Project FreeSync is AMD’s effort to bring variable refresh rate monitors to market through industry standards and by working with established ASIC and monitor manufacturers. AMD proposed the Adaptive-Sync standard earlier in the year to the VESA body. Which has since been adopted it and incorporated into DisplayPort1.2a.

http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-monitors-shipping-decemberjanuary-driver-coming-december/

Copy and paste FTW

Stunning :cool:

Soldato
OP
Didn't think you'd be that bothered as aren't all yours game already stunning :cool: smooth and you don't notice tearing?

That is true :p

Doesn't mean I not due a Display Upgrade! and I really do want to try this tech out. I also need to move on from 1080p so whats better than upgrading to high res with also a added feature I may or may not like.

What I want from FreeSync is the the zero input lag you get from vsync off and zero stutter.. The tearing I have said it time and time again is there and if I look for it I can notice it... But when I playing a game and I bang into it its not something I ever see... Being the last guy in CSGO with another 4 players the least thing on my mind is screen tear :p

Soldato
OP
I'm sensing a focus shift, originally it was marketed as a simple addition adopoted by VESA into the displayport (apologies if I have got that slightly wrong) which would require either very little in the way of outlay or as you said $15. The focus seems to have moved from that and to it now being $100 less than Gsync. This in itself is fine, but I have a feeling focus is on that now as the price difference between a non freesync and a freesync will not be the 'promised'? extra $15

Free is because it cost nothing to use the tech, Hence "Free" Gsync manufactures must pay a premium to Nvidia to use it Not "Free"

This is why its called FreeSync!

Soldato
OP
How good would it be for 1440p 240hz ?? please make it happen on one of the slides it had Freesync supports upto 240hz..

1440p 240hz 24" but I have feeling it will be 27" :( less than £500 I'll be day one buying.

Soldato
OP
I've been toying with the idea I might get a freesync screen, I'm still on TN 120hz panels because I was waiting for something good. I'm 100% unwilling to give up 120hz, even at 60fps the 120hz screen is so much smoother and for non games, simple things like text being less blurry when you scroll is much less straining on eyes(in the head of someone prone to migraines anything along those lines helps).

Ideally I'd been waiting for some stunning oled screen, be it 1600p or 4k, not too big, nice sharp resolution. Seems that is still too far off so might have to bump up to a 1440-1600p screen.

Thing is I would happily move up to 27-30" for a 4k screen, but 1440p in 27" sounds a bit rubbish to me. I'd prefer to see 1440/1600p at 24", 120+ hz and if possible IPS and I'd probably buy one.

Monitor industry is a god damned joke. 1080p @24" is so god damned old now it's insane. Why do I have to get a massive screen to get a pretty small resolution upgrade and how is the cost so massive.

Yeah man I also think 24" is the perfect size for 1080p or even 1440p but sadly I think we outa luck. 27" is looking likely the next size for me and it's going to take some time getting used to it.

Soldato
OP
@ dbmzk1, V-Sync ON is poor, it adds Lag and if you enable Triple Buffering even more issues.

You be wrong about triple buffering. You just posting Internet folklore. Triple buffering was designed in an attempt to reduce input lag and frame drops.

Look it up and not follow what some user says on a youtube guide.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough so looks like triple buffering on openGL is different to directx.

But what I was saying is still the truth why it was invented. Just don't work the same way on dx.

Anyway I don't use it :p

Soldato
OP
Sorry but what happened to it being Free? Aka Freesync? :rolleyes:

I knew this would happen anyways AMD were just blowing steam because they are in a bad spot atm. It is the same with the 390X too these monitors were suposed to be out ages ago and free. Now its coming in drips and only 100 less than Gsync.

I bet you Gsync is the superior method too aka you get what you pay for. Sorry i do like AMD and competition but this is getting bad for them. The only upside is at least two vendors now have a solution to getting rid of vsync. But AMD are just showing themselves to be hyprocrites and a poor mans solution again.

Once again I'll say this. Freesync name is because manufacturers don't after pay a single penny to use this technology. Unlike Gsync manufacturer after pay a premium to Nvidia to use that technology.

Now do you understand the naming?

Poor man? Lol so people who use amd are poor? Go away.

Soldato
OP
Actually iirc it wasn't AMD that came up with the name at all, Was a user/reviewer on twitter or something?
Anyone remember this properly?

No it was AMD that came with Project FreeSync! Manufactures will be using the Adaptive-sync Name I believe.

But am so Poor I might not be able to buy one :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Well i never implied it also just so you know. But AMD normally do inferior versions of products and that is me speaking from experience not brand loyalty because i have none to no one. And what im trying to say is G-Sync is the same you get what you pay for, And im willing to bet on it.

And about the freesync naming, It aint about the cost! It is about all those months AMD spent crying and moaning on forums about the GSync cost as if they had a free versions ready to go. It has been so long people have forgot about how much they dissed it. And in the end only 100 bucks shaved off on thier version? :eek:

If you lucky enough to already own a Freesync enabled display then it will be a simple firmware update.
If we go by what we know on the bases of the spec sheet Freesync offer less overhead than Gsync and a much better refresh rate range.
What this all means we after wait and see, but a good start will be csgo and multi GPUs.
Why Multi-GPU? Well reading Gregster thread on nvidia shocking frame latency to date Gsync is also not doing very well. Lol so this much better tech you speak of is having issues as we speak.

And something that cost much more isn't always the best lol

A users wants to play pc 1080p 60fps you have two choices. He not interested in Mantle or Physx just performance. What build would you get him buying?
1. I7 4790K + 980 build
2. 8350 + 290x
Am going to bet you would have him over paying. For same performance.

Soldato
OP
I can't see any monitor getting an update.
Besides, how does one firmware update a monitor? I'd imagine the only way would be one of those which have a USB Upstream one.

Shanks, your example is also kinda crap because of the FX83/i7 comparison.
I'd never pick an FX83 with any 290X/980, I'd much sooner put them on an i5 4670K.

That's your choice and still you saved him money wouldn't you :p and why would you not go FX83?? remember its only for 60fps 1080p it will handle a 290x with easy.

Huddy said they is already monitor out now that just need a firmware update and then ready to go. What monitors? good question

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you believe an i5 4670K and FX8350 are equal at gaming, then there's no point going any further.
I'm sure we're always hearing how frame rate isn't the whole story.

And I really don't care what Huddy says (And besides, I've said the same thing anyways, multiple times, but hey ho!)

Am not saying the FX83 is better than i5 4670k.. Not what I said!
What I said is you will get the same performance from either playing at 1080p 60fps.

Soldato
OP
Shankly,

Don't knock what is known against the unknown-Freesync could be crap, it's not tried and tested.:p

Will be interesting to find out if it's a one shoe fits all approach with game profiles or whether it's going down the individual driver profile route, Iv'e asked in the ask huddy thread but no reply as yet-if I even get a reply.

Will Cross/Tri/QuadFire work the same as single mode, is there extra driver work required?

Via vga/hdmi/dp cable, using manufacturers stand alone updater within windows.

That is true! I am ready for disappointment :p I can easy keep doing what I doing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom