• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FreeSync(TM) - Q&A with Shane Parfitt, Technology Manager AMD

Soldato
Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I'd just like to say a big thank you to -VK- (Iain) and co. for getting things on track.

AMD do care after all, it's just that I hadn't managed to get through to the right people. If AMD made monitors I would probably have known who to turn to straight away. ;)

I look forward to testing out this very exciting technology. :)

Your free to have mine after I've played as LNG as you can then ship it to a guy in Germany for me afterwards or back to OcUK so we can forward it to Germany. Let me know in case you struggle. :)

OcUK Staff
Two questions:

1. Will Freesync work with older cards? I have an old HD 6850 ready for a second PC and knowing that I could use it with Freesync would be most useful in respect of future purchases.

2. (Perhaps cheeky) Can Nvidia cards work with Freesync? Presumably after a driver revision, of course. Or is there a hardware incompatibility?

1. No.
2. Not right now but Freesync is adaptive v-sync a VESA standard so in theory NVIDIA could make their cards work with it via their drivers like AMD, but right now NVIDIA want to flog Gsync modules. ;)

Associate
Will we be able to use Freesync, Crossfire and VSR all at the same time?
When crossfire is enabled with Freesync will it support 2, 3 and 4 card crossfire?

Soldato
Why are AMD not interested in giving a FreeSync compatible GPU to somebody who can give the technology and monitors using it a thorough testing? I have a large following of people ready to part with cash and waiting for me to review these things, but AMD don't seem in the least interested in providing me with the means to do so.

PCM2 - have you spoken to AMD PR? Message me in trust if not and we can chat.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to -VK- (Iain) and co. for getting things on track.

AMD do care after all, it's just that I hadn't managed to get through to the right people. If AMD made monitors I would probably have known who to turn to straight away. ;)

Well done -VK-/AMD.:)

@PCM2,

any chance you can post a link to your site/review here please, would be grateful for the feedback and I'll put your review into the ***AMD Freesync owners thread*** main page?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18658070?

Thanks in advance.:)

Associate
Whats the limitation in the 7 series that means they aren't freesync compatible?

Also, unrelated, when will VSR be coming to the 7 series?

Soldato

Pleased you are finally getting sorted with this at last, better late than never AMD!

We did try back in January, contacted a few AMD people, including Matt himself, and was very surprised that there was no reply from them.

Associate
Thought of another one over night.
How will Freesync work with multiple monitor setups with differing refresh rates and adaptive sync capabilities. For example: -

Two monitors, both 144Hz, both FreeSync capable
Two monitors, both 144Hz but only one with Freesync
Two monitors, one 144Hz Freesync and one 60Hz non-freesync
Three monitors in EyeFinity configuration, all with Freesync etc etc

Back
Top Bottom