• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
Hi Matt thanks for that, think i am behind on the driver side of things :) I have never used CAPS before either so not 100% sure how they work. The thing is the games i play GTA Sleeping Dogs and BF3 all seem to run well and i was worried that updating drivers might cause some issues. Im sure if i update everything will be fine i just hate changing things that work if you see what i mean :)

As for my card its the MSI 7850, without doubt this best card i have ever had really impressed with it. I just know i can get a little more than 1050/1200 out of it :D

Nice thats a lovely little card. Clock the mofo out of it. Seeing as youre on the 7xxx series card you MUST upgrade your drivers to 12.8. They offer huge performance improvements in a ton of games, especially bf3.

Caps are easy to install, just install them after you install the driver before you restart your pc. When upgrading caps uninstall them, restart and install the new ones.

Soldato
Thanks for this guide kind Sir,

But I just can't get the Voltage unlock, even when ticking the unlock is my last step after adding the dll files etc. I was an Nvidia user before and tried with and without the dll files.

Shame as i prefer AB over the Asus GPU Tweak.

Once I run the patch should I restart it as prompted, only step i haven't taken, as I've followed by the word.

Cheers though :D

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for this guide kind Sir,

But I just can't get the Voltage unlock, even when ticking the unlock is my last step after adding the dll files etc. I was an Nvidia user before and tried with and without the dll files.

Shame as i prefer AB over the Asus GPU Tweak.

Once I run the patch should I restart it as prompted, only step i haven't taken, as I've followed by the word.

Cheers though :D

You can't unlock voltage control in afterburner? :confused: That's the easy part. :D

Maybe voltage control is locked for your card?

Here's what i see.

8kKEK.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I have went through all stages, ticked unlock but still greyed out.

I can change the voltage on other programs upto 1225mV

Which version of msi afterburner are you using?

If you use the unofficial overclocking method will that let you unlock voltage?

I'm stumped tbh. Not seen anyone have problems unlocking voltage on afterburner before as its a default feature. (providing your card has unlocked voltage)

Soldato
2.2.3 is the version im using, I used to be able to get voltage unlock on my old 460, only time I have seen this myself (apart form now) was when my mate got his 570 twin frozr and after a year it still doesn't allow voltage unlock.

Been tinkering about with the unofficial method this evening and no joy, may just have to use the asus software.

Caporegime
OP
2.2.3 is the version im using, I used to be able to get voltage unlock on my old 460, only time I have seen this myself (apart form now) was when my mate got his 570 twin frozr and after a year it still doesn't allow voltage unlock.

Been tinkering about with the unofficial method this evening and no joy, may just have to use the asus software.

Which card have you got?

Maybe its a known issue with afterburner?

Caporegime
OP
Its a MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III OC.

I think someone else in this thread has had luck with the very same card.

Hmm, no idea then tbh unless that 7850 owner comes forward and shares his oats.

What is a max safe voltage you can put through a 7850 any ideas? I dont wanna go anymore than 1.25v if im honest

I think all 7xxx cards have a limit of 0.125mv which you can add before over current protection kicks in and the gpu shuts down requiring a restart.

I know this is the case with 7970's as i can make it kick in when using OCCT GPU 4.3.

Uisng this calculation my stock volts are 1.112. Plus 0.125mv = 1.234. So, if i exceed that voltage in afterburner then there is a chance of OCP kicking in.

Soldato
Think it was Lazdaa

I maybe wrong, I have read a shed load of 7850 material on this forum this week

I have the exact same card as you mate, i am gonna give Matts suggestion in this thread ago so i'll let you know how i get on. I have only just installed AB version 2.2.3 was using 2.1 for ages :D Im still running the 12.3 drivers as well so i'll try with these first

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for that Matt much appreciated

Find out your stock voltage, add 0.125mv and you should be good up to that. Maybe leave a little bit of leeway.

I can trigger OCP in my 7970 @ 1.2volts which is a fair bit under my limit but these power virus software really push the cards beyond normal levels. :eek:

Soldato
I have the exact same card as you mate, i am gonna give Matts suggestion in this thread ago so i'll let you know how i get on. I have only just installed AB version 2.2.3 was using 2.1 for ages :D Im still running the 12.3 drivers as well so i'll try with these first

Cheers mate, i'll give it one more bash also, then i shall weep myself to sleep until GW2 opens tomorrow.

Caporegime
OP

On the Afterburner version i received on disc with my MSI 7950, i didn't have access to voltage. I today redownloaded latest version from the link below and i am now able to change the core voltage: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Thanks for letting us know.

Associate
Yeah, I am just using the CCC Overdrive now. It seems to be cruising along happily at 1100 core, 1300 Memory. This will do just fine for now :)

Back
Top Bottom