• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Soldato
Soldato
Very impressive, will give us an idea how steamroller runs, but to be honest steamroller 8 core or go home :D

From what I can make out Steamroller will be an 8 core APU, not a CPU.

Kaveri uses AMD's HSA, it could really sew up the low/mid ranged gaming PC market. HSA = all of the hardware handshakes directly, the same as the consoles do.

Soldato
OP
Very impressive, will give us an idea how steamroller runs, but to be honest steamroller 8 core or go home :D

I remember Roy Taylor hinting at an sort of extreme APU, highly clocked, compared it to the FX 9590. If it has a decent amount of shaders could be an awesome all in one solution for a lot of people.

I'm sure AMD have non igpu 8 core chips for the Desktop planned, they just don't want to give anything away just yet.

Associate
Possibly 832 stream processors, I wonder how bandwidth will affect it and what they do to try and alleviate it. Tempted to switch, I barely use this thing powerwise anyway.

tbh

tbh

Associate
its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

Excited for this launch, looking forward to owning an AMD chip again after years of Intel.

Caporegime
Seems AMD have just nailed Nvidia in the GPU market with the R9 290X, so now they're moving on to their next target... Intel :D

Not really, if we're very lucky CPU wise these CPU's will be like high clocking first gen i5's, but with a decent IGP.

They'll be very good for what they are however.

And if they come out Febuary 2014, then that is delayed, and with FM2+ boards kinda randomly turning up now, we've got another badly executed platform on our hands.

Straight after Trinity came out, and Kaveri was pegged for 2013 with richland, I've always, and always been sceptical of them getting out Kaveri for 2013. Pessimism wins again :p

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I can make out Steamroller will be an 8 core APU, not a CPU.

Where have you heard that?

I hope it's right, but it would surely require a new socket - FM2+ simply doesn't have the die space for 8 cores plus an IGP, and AM3+ doesn't have the chipset to support it (or the die space, of course).

Then again, maybe 28nm (compared with current 32nm) gives enough room to squeeze on a small IGP...

Soldato
The Kaveri APU model showed a total of 13 CUs which amount to 832 Stream processors that is just a CU less than the top HD 7700 series card – Radeon HD 7790 and higher than the Radeon HD 7750 and Radeon HD 7770 (10 CUs/ 640 SPs) which could hint at the performance.

Sweet.

Soldato
OP
we've got another badly executed platform on our hands.

That should be AMD's slogan :D

Kaveri looks decent imo, I like the idea of an all in one system. If Kaveri chips get Mantle and true audio, that's a nice bonus. Hopefully we get some info on desktop Steamroller CPU's next. Although AMD seem to have gotten better at keeping things under NDA.

Associate
I could be wrong, but isn't the FX line of cpu's based on the Opteron's?
Therefore whenever a steamroller Opteron comes out a desktop FX version shouldn't be far behind it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think AMD were going with Kaveri (integrated graphics/APU) for their server processors for a while yet.

Associate
It really wouldn't be a good idea to buy an AM3/Piledriver setup right now, would it?

Hmm... Probably not, but it really depends on what you are looking for.
A fully fledged 8 core CPU for the price of the FX 8350 isn't something to be sniffed at, if you need a CPU for heavily threaded work.

For gaming, I think Intel have it sown up until AMD's streamroller based CPU's hit the market as many games are still poorly threaded and thrive of clockspeed+IPC giving the advantage to Intel.

Associate
Hmm... Probably not, but it really depends on what you are looking for.
A fully fledged 8 core CPU for the price of the FX 8350 isn't something to be sniffed at, if you need a CPU for heavily threaded work.

For gaming, I think Intel have it sown up until AMD's streamroller based CPU's hit the market as many games are still poorly threaded and thrive of clockspeed+IPC giving the advantage to Intel.

I'm not so sure about that. My fx is noticeably faster than my 2500k. The only game it struggles with is Arma2/3, and they run abysmally on my 2500k too.

If an 8 core steamroller comes out, I think amd will ruin it by pricing >£200.

Soldato
I think an 8 core SR + large shader count iGPU would struggle to maintain <100w at competitive clocks, even on 28nm.

I want to be wrong though. What comes after Kaveri, that's interesting, and could possibly break Intel's single threaded stronghold convincingly :)

Back
Top Bottom