• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Caporegime
AMD On Kaveri APU x86 Performance Against Intel Haswell,”We’ll Lose” – Flagship APU To Cost Around $150

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-...ell-lose-flagship-apu-cost-150/#ixzz2m8M2CPSb

No one expected it to beat Intel in x86, just to have a marked improvement on what Piledriver is.

so...

A10-7850K which has been detailed here and features a total compute power of 856 Gigaflops. Compared to Intel Core i5-4670K that’s a definite leap in performance but when compared in x86 performance alone, AMD’s x86 enabled Steamroller cores would loose in the performance battle.

Thats not saying a lot, what does that actually mean? whats
856 Gigaflops when its at home and how many does the 4670K have?

Its missing key info. its a no news story :)

Edit - Ooohh Santa Slimy ^^^^ :D

Soldato
Thats not saying a lot, what does that actually mean? whats 856 Gigaflops when its at home and how many does the 4670K have?

856 GFLOPS is a lot. The theoretical peak of the Intel range is 32 times the clock speed in GHz (using AVX vectorisation), so the 4670K at stock at 3.4 GHz = 108.8 GFLOPS. That's a theoretical limit - stuff like linpack gets closest and usually only 80-90% of peak.

As you'd expect, the difference comes from the GPU-like region of the chip, so you'll only get close to that performance using highly-paralellised code.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not sure how it's even a fair comparison to put Haswell against Kaveri in CPU performance terms, like they mention in that article. Kaveri is a about an all in one budget chip. I really hope AMD launch a desktop CPU only (No igp) Steamroller chip with more cores and cache. That at least could potentially compare favorably against the Haswell i5's. Maybe not in raw ipc but overall performance, where extra cores would pull ahead in encoding etc. Very tempted to move to an AMD 8 core setup if AMD do ever release Steamroller CPU for desktop.

Soldato
I think Kaveri will compete very well with the 4670K as part of an overall system. It's not fair to compare just on raw CPU single thread performance and ignore the rest. With the 20% improvements and an overclock it's going to make the i3 absolutely pointless, and should stand up pretty well against the 4670K in newer games on a pure CPU level.

If we believe DICE and AMD, Kaveri with Mantle is going to be very impressive.

Soldato
Some details about the clockspeeds of the desktop Kaveri CPUs:

http://prohardver.hu/teszt/mit_tudhat_a_kaveri_gpu-ja/hd_7750-bol_kaveri_igp-t.html

It seems the A10 7850K has a maximum clockspeed of 4GHZ. For the 20% projected improvement in performance over Richland,that would mean a decent boost in IPC(if you compare it to the A10 6800K),since the A10 7850K has 3.7GHZ to 4GHZ clockspeeds and the A10 6800K,4.1GHZ to 4.4GHZ clockspeeds. Even if we look at the earlier AMD claims of 10% to 15% performance improvement per generation, IPC probably has improved around 20% to 30% it seems.

Caporegime
Does it matter? All I care about is performance

Of course it matters.
PD's "10-15%" over BD came mainly from the higher default clocks, if it had been 10-15% IPC improvement, the end gains would be much better.

As it's comparing stock for stock, so you could get one of these new chips being clocked higher, yet having the same headroom, it's faster, but it's end performance when overclocked won't be as high as the quoted figure in that case (As an example)

Soldato
The Kaveri chips are clocked lower than Richland but looking at the AMD slides the performance boost is meant to be around 15% to 20% more. This means the IPC is probably a decent boost,considering the 10% lower clockspeeds for the A10 7850K when compared to the A10 6800K.

Soldato
Yup, I'm putting together a Micro ATX Steambox and HTPC system. When Kaveri's out hopefully it'll have enough grunt to run games at 1080p :)

Back
Top Bottom