• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Associate
Of course it matters.
PD's "10-15%" over BD came mainly from the higher default clocks, if it had been 10-15% IPC improvement, the end gains would be much better.

As it's comparing stock for stock, so you could get one of these new chips being clocked higher, yet having the same headroom, it's faster, but it's end performance when overclocked won't be as high as the quoted figure in that case (As an example)

As said above, we already know the clock is lower. Performance isn't necessarily IPC or clock. It could be the memory controller is much better, or the cache is faster, or the dispatcher is better. Regardless of where the real world gains come from, all that matters is it's there.

Soldato
OP
Yup, I'm putting together a Micro ATX Steambox and HTPC system. When Kaveri's out hopefully it'll have enough grunt to run games at 1080p :)

That'll be a nice build. In terms of bang for buck though, An intel Pentium or maybe an i3 plus that OCUK HD 7850 2GB For £90 would be a better all round system. Wouldn't fit so snuggly in a Micro ATX case though :p

Soldato
That'll be a nice build. In terms of bang for buck though, An intel Pentium or maybe an i3 plus that OCUK HD 7850 2GB For £90 would be a better all round system. Wouldn't fit so snuggly in a Micro ATX case though :p

An i3 isn't going to match Kaveri :) I've already a 6800K though in the meantime.

Soldato
OP
We have a 5800K / 8GB / SSD system here, ideal for a budget setup. Thing is as i3 prices come down they are a viable alternative. If Kaveri comes in at the same price point as 5800K/6800K it would be the better option..

Caporegime
If the IPC is up by 20% on Kaveri over Richland then IMO the i3 is out at a similar price.

You would be able to get the same single core performance at something like 4.4Ghz and have twice as many cores.

Soldato
The 4 cores of Piledriver APUs make them more attractive than a Pentium/i3 in my view, especially as for now I won't be using a discrete GPU. Although it'll be an HTPC it will also be used for gaming with Steam, and I'm hoping Kaveri will do a good job there.

Soldato
OP
Those Pentium / i3's shouldn't be underestimated. If you look at the Intel Core i3-3250 for example, it beats the 6800K by about 25% single threaded, and even though it physically only has 2 cores with HF it's still able to keep up in multithreaded progs vs the 6800k http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/441/AMD_A10-Series_A10-6800K_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-3250.html. The Haswell Pentium / i3's are even faster.

My boys PC has Intel Pentium G2120 (Ivybridge) and a HD 7950 3GB. It has no problems playing all the latest games at decent settings. Impressive for the low cost of the chip.

If the upcoming Kaveri can match i3 level IPC and have 4 cores, it will be very impressive. I'll be building a few rigs with Kaveri. I hope it's decent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And I'd be surprised if they released excavator for FM2+ (That's just a sly dig given their history of APU's)

And again, I'd find it too hard to believe they'd run Vishera for that long :p

It's probably just a photoshop like you say.

And I agree, an i3 is an almost impossible recommendation.

Soldato
OP
Between,the X4 760K,A8 5600K,the FX6300 and the FX8320,I find it hard to recommend the Core i3 CPUs,other than for certain niche situations TBH.

Not just i3, Pentium 3.2Ghz Haswell can be had for under £50, Haswell mobo about the same price, and then add a dedicated GPU, for a similar overall price to an 6800K and AMD mobo setup. The Intel system would perform better and consume less power, so it def has it's place. I have built enough of them to know they do lol.

Both Intel low end CPU and AMD APU setups are viable options.

Soldato
Not just i3, Pentium 3.2Ghz Haswell can be had for under £50, Haswell mobo about the same price, and then add a dedicated GPU, for a similar overall price to an 6800K and AMD mobo setup. The Intel system would perform better and consume less power, so it def has it's place. I have built enough of them to know they do lol.

Both Intel low end CPU and AMD APU setups are viable options.

You can get the Athlon II X4 760K for around £60 though. Considering it is overclockable too,it is actually quite a decent CPU for the price. Alas,like the good old Athlon II X3,I suspect it will be ignored. The Athlon II X3 was awesome value. A mate managed to get it to unlock to a Phenom II X4 with L3 cache. Happy days!!:)

Regarding the APUs with IGPs,I think the A8 5600K is the sweet spot for pure value for money. At £70 it has a good IGP and almost the same CPU performance as the A10 CPUs. Only the A10-5700 and A10 6700 interest me among the more expensive APUs,as they seem nice fits for a SFF system.

Last edited:
Soldato
That slide says nothing, pretty much like AMD have said nothing of AM3+. Using the "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck..." idiom... It's probably spot on. Vishera is all there will be on AM3+, and perhaps no new models at all

Soldato
OP
You can get the Athlon II X4 760K for around £60 though. Considering it is overclockable too,it is actually quite a decent CPU for the price. Alas,like the good old Athlon II X3,I suspect it will be ignored. The Athlon II X3 was awesome value. A mate managed to get it to unlock to a Phenom II X4 with L3 cache. Happy days!!:)

Regarding the APUs with IGPs,I think the A8 5600K is the sweetspot for pure value for money. At £70 it has a good IGP and almost the same CPU performance as the A10 CPUs. Only the A10-5700 and A10 6700 interest me among the more expensive APUs,as they seem nice fits for a SFF system.

Yeah agreed, their are decent budget options from both Intel and AMD, for me right now the Haswell Pentiums paired with a dedicated GPU like a HD 7750+ is a similar priced more balanced overall system, performs a lil better and uses less power. Current AMD APU's do have their place in small for factor PC's as well though, where space is very limited. I'm hoping Kaveri is a decent step up from a 6800K, the GCN SP's and SR cores might make it a better option than a cheap CPU / dedicated GPU setup. It will prob all come down to pricing.

Soldato
I thought I would post the slide anyway and I expect wccftech will get hold of it and make it some mega AMD doom story.

The only way I can see the 2015 APUs using DDR3,is if DDR4 is going to be still silly expensive by then,and AMD ends up using the stacked DRAM tech they have been working on with Amkor and Hynix since 2011,to reduce bottlenecks. Remember,some early AMD documents indicated Kaveri would be a six core part with GDDR5 capability(but it seems it was dropped when the SteamrollerB cores were introduced).

I suspect we might see a 16NM/20NM APUs by 2015,so it will be interesting to see the core count.

Caporegime

+1

@ £60 the Athlon is unbelievable value, 4 unlocked cores for £60.

Back
Top Bottom