• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Associate
This why i asked, whats the point of L3 when the system memory is unified. :)

I would assume, the point is because L3 cache is at clock speed and has extremely low latency that system memory couldn't match.
I would assume that as it is by design they have engineered ways to limit the impact of L3 cache has in tasks.

Associate
Or that it also wasn't worth the cost for a small improvment in performance when other features might be of more importance. Who knows at this point.

Soldato
OP
Corsair have shed some light on AMD's lack of high end CPU only chips. It does look like AMD are set to position APU against Intel's midrange stack. Which also really are essentially APU's from Intel as well. As in all Intel's midrange stack comes with integrated graphics.

So for example we could see, A10 7850K be positioned against 4670K but priced lower w better graphics, and no direct competition for Intel's high end server chips for desktop I.e, Ivybridge -E, Haswell -E.

The future really is fusion :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Im not sure what you mean by being right, but both those roadmaps are identical. The 'fake' roadmap just goes on for longer than 2014. Both roadmaps show nothing but piledriver for the high end for all of 2014. Whatever way you look at this, high end CPU space is very dull. It def looks like AMD are focusing on APU's. It looks like AMD could bring new high end stuff out when DDR4 is available.

I was hoping for a SR 8 core setup in 2014, looks like I'll keep saving for Haswell -E.

Last edited:
Associate
I was hoping for a SR 8 core setup in 2014, looks like I'll keep saving for Haswell -E.

I don't think the jump in IPC is big enough from PD to SR.
The rumoured drop in FPU performance on SR is also a good indicator AMD don't think it's worth rolling out an 8 core on SR.

We might see an FX line up on Excavator, if that forecast bigger jump in IPC from SR to Excavator comes to fruition.

Soldato
not bad considering its got a Radeon 7750 built in.

That's quite impressive really, means it's just as fast as my old Radeon 4850 but with full DX11 capability!

..considering my 4850 could play any of the old gen console ports with ease and 2 or 4xAA (depending on the game), a Kaveri would be a damn good small form factor/ HTPC gaming rig.

Soldato
OP
Although it's got as many cores as a HD 7750, it's also a bit hamstrung by lower clock speeds and as other have pointed out, slower DDR3 memory. I doubt the APU could match a dedicated HD 7750 GPU tbh. It's def a nice step up though. Still a long way off an APU that can handle my 1440P screen... If ever lol.. I can dream.

We've got one of these incoming Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4716#ov To replace an older FM2 mobo and be paired with 5800K. Nice to have the option able to add a Kaveri later on..

Last edited:
Associate
Although it's got as many cores as a HD 7750, it's also a bit hamstrung by lower clock speeds and as other have pointed out, slower DDR3 memory. I doubt the APU could match a dedicated HD 7750 GPU tbh. It's def a nice step up though. Still a long way off an APU that can handle my 1440P screen... If ever lol.. I can dream.

We've got one of these incoming Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4716#ov To replace an older FM2 mobo and be paired with 5800K. Nice to have the option able to add a Kaveri later on..

If HSA is well supported it won't matter about slower RAM, so it could do very well despite this handicap.

Soldato
There are lots of big players on board with HSA now including Qualcomm, Samsung & Oracle. The last is particularly significant as the next release of Java will make use of HSA & hUMA features to speed things up drastically.

As for what AMD are targeting with their APUs, the A8 series is aimed at Intel's i3 lineup and the A10 series is aimed at the i5 lineup.

Soldato
OP
If HSA is well supported it won't matter about slower RAM, so it could do very well despite this handicap.

HSA is about leveraging the GPU to work alongside the CPU, to work as one unit that shares the system memory pool. It will not enhance the GPU's performance for gaming in the way you're thinking, (Mantle can do that by enabling developers to code nearer to the metal). DDR3 is slower than DDR5, HSA won't change that..

In the future an AMD APU with DDR5 and HSA would be very nice, much like the PS4's setup. The Kaveri's rumored for January look like a nice step up from Piledriver APU's but won't perform better than dedicated GPU's like the HD 7750 DDR5. The next iteration likely could though...

Associate
HSA is about leveraging the GPU to work alongside the CPU, to work as one unit that shares the system memory pool. It will not enhance the GPU's performance for gaming in the way you're thinking, (Mantle can do that by enabling developers to code nearer to the metal). DDR3 is slower than DDR5, HSA won't change that..

In the future an AMD APU with DDR5 and HSA would be very nice, much like the PS4's setup. The Kaveri's rumored for January look like a nice step up from Piledriver APU's but won't perform better than dedicated GPU's like the HD 7750 DDR5. The next iteration likely could though...

You need lightning fast GDDR and a massively fast pci-e bus to feed it due to the massive overhead of transferring data between the system ram and the gpu memory. HSA/HUMA removes that need so even if your memory is fairly slow in comparison, it doesn't matter as it won't need to do anywhere near as many operations.

Mantle is a totally different technology...

Soldato
You need lightning fast GDDR and a massively fast pci-e bus to feed it due to the massive overhead of transferring data between the system ram and the gpu memory. HSA/HUMA removes that need so even if your memory is fairly slow in comparison, it doesn't matter as it won't need to do anywhere near as many operations.

Absolutely. HSA negates the requirement to move the data around full stop and removing one of the most significant bottlenecks in the system as a result.

Soldato
OP

I think you're confused.. HSA won't fabricate anymore GPU power.. With regard to ram speeds think about it, if what you're saying is true. Why would the industry be moving onto DDR4 if all we need is HSA? It'll still be faster running DDR5 / DDR4 VS DDR3 in the exact same HSA based system.

HSA allows CPU/GPU a streamlining way of processing data, think of it more as a more efficient way of processing, it would use less power than the current way of doing the same given task, but not provide more GPU power...

So an HSA based setup with the right software could run programs with a lower power envelope.

Mantle isn't technology as such, i.e it's not the hardware itself, it's an API for lower level assess to the hardware. In that respect Mantle can subtract more performance from hardware than other API's...

This is where the whole picture comes clear..

HSA provides more efficient processing, lower power envelopes.

Mantle provides more performance from graphics hardware by getting lower level asses to GPU.

By utilizing both HSA and Mantle, AMD's future APU's have a real chance of offering an all in one solution..

Soldato

No it doesn't you still need the links, you still need Onion and Garlic for transportation links

Back
Top Bottom