• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Soldato
The IGP, bandwidth will come into play surely? AMD need to do something like Intel have with Iris Pro, without the downsides.

The problem is the low clockspeeds for the CPU. From what I gather it seems the CPU is not really boosting as the process node is the issue.

If you look at the AMD slides posted earlier they even admit they favoured density over clockspeed for the higher TDP parts.

Caporegime
The problem is the low clockspeeds for the CPU. From what I gather it seems the CPU is not really boosting as the process node is the issue.

If you look at the AMD slides posted earlier they even admit they favoured density over clockspeed for the higher TDP parts.

I guess we're not looking at decent clock speeds for overclocking, which is a shame.

But hopefully once it's mature it'll be worth something with an IGPLess SR 4 core.

Soldato
I guess we're not looking at decent clock speeds for overclocking, which is a shame.

But hopefully once it's mature it'll be worth something with an IGPLess SR 4 core.

RLUPmNn.jpg

This is why AMD's choice of sending out the higher TDP parts for review first is hilarious.

They should be sending out the 45W and 65W TDP desktop parts and the laptop parts first.

By sending out the 100W parts first,they making Kaveri look even worse than it should.

I really,really hope that CB R15 and Geekbench scores are not indicative of general performance and that the IGP drivers are not mature.

OTH,if this was the case,why did AMD sanction Puget Systems to do the review and release one week before everyone else??

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thing is, if the results are valid, then people have somewhat of a reason to be disappointed, but after we've seen the full picture with what we have.

IPC upto 20% is what everyone wants, that's Lynnfield territory.

I think pricing will be naff, shame, as Kaveri could be an all in one solution for many people.

Soldato
OP
@ CAT, if Broomsticks latest review is true then yes its an utter fail, a total pile of junk.

@ bumhug, I have to agree, I hope these results aren't legit, so far all the leaked benchys seem to point to very little CPU performance increase, in some cases a bit weaker and a nice GPU improvement over the 6800K.

Have to wait to see the legit reviews, starting to think if this is legit SR, I can see why a full desktop CPU only part wouldn't be worth the effort..

Hopefully it's all fud and we see a marked improvement in CPU and GPU.. Oh well speculation is always fun, hopefully some more reliable sources soon though...

Soldato
Thing is, if the results are valid, then people have somewhat of a reason to be disappointed, but after we've seen the full picture with what we have.

IPC upto 20% is what everyone wants, that's Lynnfield territory.

I think pricing will be naff, shame, as Kaveri could be an all in one solution for many people.

The thing is if they send the lower TDP parts out for review first,it would have made Kaveri look good.

I give you an example.

The Richland A10-6700T runs at 2.5GHZ to 3.5GHZ with a 45W TDP. The A8 7600 in 45W TDP mode runs at 3.1GHZ to 3.3GHZ,and with the IPC improvements looks like it will be a big performance jump.

Since the laptop SKUs top out at 35W,I suspect they all will have decent performance bumps over Richland.

This is what AMD should be trying to show off first,even if it meant delaying reviews another month or so.

The problem is by sending out parts,they themselves have admitted have reduced clockspeed,they are making Kaveri look worse than it is.

The first reviews of Kaveri people will read will be the high TDP parts and first impression counts.

I really am trying to see the logic of their marketeers ATM,I really am!!

I just hope all the leaks are not indicative of general CPU and IGP performance.

Soldato
Depends how kaveri turns out, I've never seen cat so annoyed at AMD :p

The review was sanctioned by AMD indicating that at least part of it is agreeing with their review guide. The first review they sanction makes the A10 7850K look barely better than a cheaper A10 6800K. Then on top of this they don't sent out the parts for review which show the greatest improvements.

Intel and Nvidia are far more careful with what review samples they send out and how they are reviewed. AMD does not do this and it really makes their own life harder and makes the perception of their products worse than they need to be. This is why I am annoyed - the BD fiasco should have taught them this lesson clearly.

Even look at Trinity and Richland??

AMD marketing is so fail,that they hardly sent out the A10 5700 and A10 6700 out for review.

These parts were easily available,and had most of performance of the 100W TDP parts with much lower power consumption.

Yet AMD marketing hardly bothered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom