• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Associate
AMD will try and get to the market first come what may as they have no other option in the high end graphics card market. Fiji cards are nowhere near as popular as the GTX 980 Ti. NVidia on the other hand are under no pressure to get Pascal on the market as their old Maxwell cards are still doing ok.

I would be interested to know what yields NVidia are getting on old GM200 chips compared to upcoming Pascal chips. I suspect there is quite a difference which makes going to a new node less attractive if their existing cards are still selling well.

The market is not just FX vs Ti Kaap.
Maxwells still doing good, and amds old cards do as well because they won back market share in Q3 and in Q4 as well. I wonder how the Q1-Q2 reports will look after it turned out Maxwell is really flop in async compute. I think amd will get some more marketshare, but to be realistic i think the fact nv falsly blabbering about maxwell is fine in async and they just need to enable it in the driver cannot overshadow the power of NV marketing.

Caporegime
The market is not just FX vs Ti Kaap.
Maxwells still doing good, and amds old cards do as well because they won back market share in Q3 and in Q4 as well. I wonder how the Q1-Q2 reports will look after it turned out Maxwell is really flop in async compute. I think amd will get some more marketshare, but to be realistic i think the fact nv falsly blabbering about maxwell is fine in async and they just need to enable it in the driver cannot overshadow the power of NV marketing.

Maxwell will be long forgotten by the time async compute utilisation becomes widespread enough to matter.

Last edited:
Associate
Maxwell will be long forgotten by the time async compute utilisation becomes widespread enough to matter.

Well, it is starting to matter. All you guys are moaning about new games, but when we turn conversation to async and dx12 suddenly everyone forgets about new games and suddenly no one actually plays them.

Associate
OFC async is not widely used yet, but slowly DX12 games are arriving, and if they show that amd>nv in dx12 that's really good for amd just before the new cards arrive from both sides.

Caporegime
Or maybe not because rumours are Pascal is Maxwell with a die shrink and compute added back in. Not claiming this is fact.
http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-engli...scal-in-trouble-with-asyncronous-compute-code

Well yes, obviously if Pascal doesn't utilise a-sync compute then Nvidia may well be boned but I am certainly not worried about how my 980 performs in DX12 because I intend to have something from the new generation by the end of the summer.

I mean so far, for fully released DX12 games we have had Hitman which AMD does very well in by comparison to Nvida and Tomb Raider, where AMD don't do so well in comparison.

Obviously there will be some that will keep their cards for eons but the vast majority of people on this forum/gaming enthusiasts will no doubt get a polaris or pascal card by the end of the year, so how this outgoing generation does in DX12 is pretty unimportant in my opinion.

It is how the next generation do in it that I will be keeping my eyes on.

Caporegime
Well, it is starting to matter. All you guys are moaning about new games, but when we turn conversation to async and dx12 suddenly everyone forgets about new games and suddenly no one actually plays them.

For fully released DX12 games we have Hitman which AMD do well in by comparison to Nvidia and Tomb Raider which AMD do badly/averagely in comparison to NVidia.

So far, no one can say with any certainty which camp will fair better in DX12 :p

Associate
For fully released DX12 games we have Hitman which AMD do well in by comparison to Nvidia and Tomb Raider which AMD do badly/averagely in comparison to NVidia.

So far, no one can say with any certainty which camp will fair better in DX12 :p

Plus AotS where amd is better, plus GoW where amd does better after the developer fixed it...

So its more like: there is one DX12 game where AMD doesn't benefit more from dx12 than NV....and that is an NV game ...surprise

Caporegime
Plus AotS where amd is better, plus GoW where amd does better after the developer fixed it...

So its more like: there is one DX12 game where AMD doesn't benefit more from dx12 than NV....and that is an NV game ...surprise

I didn't think AOTS was even fully released yet? Granted I forgot about Gears of War.

That still isn't anywhere near enough to draw a complete conclusion yet and even if it was, how this generation performs is of no interest to me and shouldn't be really for anyone looking to get a polaris or pascal card this summer.

Associate
I didn't think AOTS was even fully released yet? Granted I forgot about Gears of War.

That still isn't anywhere near enough to draw a complete conclusion yet and even if it was, how this generation performs is of no interest to me and shouldn't be really for anyone looking to get a polaris or pascal card this summer.

Well the perception from current gen always has an impact on next gen.
Just look, NV only had one gen where their power efficiency was really better, and that makes everyone to think this will be (and strangely always was ) the case.

Same here...people see that one fares vetter in dx12 with current gen, then assume they are then better prepared for the upcoming number of dx12 games, and this could alter their decision.

But yeah i agree, its too small sample to really show any meaningful information.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
no new gfx card gossip this week? :(
i think with new apu's coming we could see new consoles at the end of the year
maybe they will wait another year but i hope not

Caporegime
i think with new apu's coming we could see new consoles at the end of the year
t

No chance! Or at least, I would be very surprised. 3 years would be a very short console life considering the last two generations were 6/7 years!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom