• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** AMD R290X BF4 EDITION - WE ARE NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS / DEPOSITS!! **

Associate
Is there any info on which OEMs use Hynix chips in their cards? Or do they use Hynix and Elpida mixed?

I've been trying to find this somewhere, this is Gibbo's post

Hi m8

What do you mean by this, we can't find anything in regards to a silent mode / uber mode, do you know more about this?

So far I have checked the following cards:-

Sapphire R290X BF4 - SK Hynix
Sapphire R290 - Elpida
Asus R290X BF4 - SK Hynix
Gigabyte R290X BF4 - Elpida
AMD Press R290X - SK Hynix

MSI R290X BF4 - Yet to arrive
HIS R290X BF4 - Yet to arrive
HIS R290 - Yet to arrive

From our testing:-

SK Hynix does 5800-6200MHz with stock voltage
Elpida does 5400 - 5700Mhz with stock voltage

SK Hynix is better clocking memory.

OcUK gave you this info, as me and RJK just spent the morning pulling the different brands apart.

Were now adding some compound as well to the Press sample to see if we get a noticeable reduction in temperatures, which we shall add to our review.

Associate
Hi m8

What do you mean by this, we can't find anything in regards to a silent mode / uber mode, do you know more about this?

Sapphire R290 - Elpida

HIS R290 - Yet to arrive

SK Hynix is better clocking memory. :)

OcUK gave you this info, as me and RJK just spent the morning pulling the different brands apart.

Were now adding some compound as well to the Press sample to see if we get a noticeable reduction in temperatures, which we shall add to our review.

^ There you go

Caporegime
Hi m8

Sapphire R290 - Elpida

HIS R290 - Yet to arrive

SK Hynix is better clocking memory. :)

Wow hows that for service :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Damn, i guess you can't be sure what your getting.

No it is impossible.

Next month they could all be using different again, the board partners probably pay the same or very similar as it will be on contract pricing.

So what I am saying now for this first batch, might not stand for future batches.

Though Gigabyte was cheap and Asus crazy expensive, but that's probably just Asus with their brand tax. ;)

Caporegime
Just checked HIS:-

HIS R290X BF4 - Elpida
HIS R290 - Elpida

MSI arrives tomorrow, shall check those then.

In short, only Sapphire and Asus R290X BF4 have SK Hynix RAM, which is what the AMD press samples also have.

:eek:

Same as my HIS 7950's. :D

The strange thing was the HIS 290X i saw had Hynix on it. :confused:

Soldato
Shows for most reviews you can only take achieved overclocks with a pinch of salt

Just like memory ICs for memory modules can be change by manufacturer at any point as long as meets base spec

So buying because a given brand/model is a good overclocker is a bit of a nonsense

Caporegime
Fair points. I suppose HIS do have a history of using ELPIDA though as my cards show. Nonetheless mine will do 1750Mhz. I guess i have golden Elpida's. :p

I'll be surprised if MSI use it though. They've always used Hynix.

Soldato
Non-reference 290s in Crossfire is where it's at.

He says with hope...

Yep, I'm thinking this CF will be the better option than a single 780ti or 780 SLI (price dependant) I just hope my first multi GPU venture doesn't turn sour with crappy drivers. Saw some horrific posts in 7990 thread on how to get some games working properly..
Really happy, was going to order Seasonic Gold 1250 yesterday but didn't for whatever reason, then today it was £20 off :D

Back
Top Bottom