** AMD R290X NOW AVAILABLE & OVERCLOCKING REVIEW!! **

Associate
**UPDATE**

Hynix and Elpida are both just as good as each other.

I took my Elpida card which could only do 5700MHz, flashed the Asus BIOS to it, pumped up the voltage and now the Elpida card is matching with 6600MHz. :)

So there you go, Elpida, Hynix, it don't matter. What matters is voltage control. ;)

Gibbo, I'm just wondering how did you increase the memory voltage? Or were you only referring to the core voltage in your post above? I've flashed the asus bios but gpu tweak only has the option to increase core voltage. I've got mine to 1200/6000 stable with the core voltage on max of 1.41 but cannot get it any further. Pretty sure the mem needs more voltage as when I set it to 6050 I get artifacts and driver crashes.

Any help greatly appreciated!

OcUK Staff
OP
The blurred out card is the new card coming Tuesday 5am. ;)

A card which I've now managed scores even beating the R290X OC with, due to newer drivers. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Worth returning the 290x and saving ~£100 then?
Oh and have you tried the 290x oc on the newer drivers?

290X is faster again when with same drivers. 290X is still the quicker card by a good 6-10%, but goes to show how drivers have improved performance in just over a week. :)

Associate
**UNDER-VOLTING**

Guys it seems the current drivers / BIOS have protection built in so the card won't allow you to under-volt it by any usable amount unfortunately.

Anything below 1225mv seems to trigger protection meaning it won't load to windows desktop until you do a full power off and on.

However going from 1250mv down to 1225mv has reduced temperature by 5c under-load with no ill-effect on stability at stock speeds with the card still set at +50 power with 1000Mhz core speed always.

If this protection gets removed by later drivers/BIOS the card in theory should be able to run fine around 1150-1200mv which should be good for a good 10c+ reduction in temps over stock. Seems you can get them to run pretty cool.

Infact its turning out to be quite a fun card for the tweaker/overclocker. :)
I should have read this before I tried. would have saved me all the restarting and uninstall the drivers in safe mode.

Back
Top Bottom