• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Man of Honour
This is not Nvidia though Bru.

Have Nvidia used 512bit before? I don't know.

Have AMD? user 512bit before? Yes, the 2900xt.

No chance.

Off the top of my head they've only done 512bit on DDR3 (GTX28x). I've got a feeling the full fat version of the 480 might have been 512bit but it never existed outside of development boards.

EDIT: AMD do have a 256bit 4GB board tho (Firepro W8000).

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
yes I know this isn't Nvidia, I was just saying that it is possible. 4GB ram does not necessarily mean a 512Mbit bus.

It could quite easily be 256 if they clock the memory to heck.

I think it's worth linking this again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_bandwidth#Bandwidth_computation_and_nomenclature

Come on guys, you really think a 256bit bus card is going to be competing with titan/780? Haven't we learned anything about how 680/770's perform at high resolution?

I'm not saying it will 100% will be 512bit bus, but id bet my left testicle it won't be 256bit. Absolutely no chance. Can't see it in a million years. 384-512bit me thinks.

Last edited:
Don
Unless GDDR6 is available then of course it is. Can't see a new top of the range card coming out with GDDR3/4 or a 256bit bus. :D

Has everyone gone mad or am i barking up the wrong tree here? :p
If it's GDDR5 then yeah it definitely won't be 256bit, so almost certainly 512bit unless they do something funky with mixed density memory chips, which I would be very surprised they did. If they manage to sneak in GDDR6 then yeah it might be 256bit depending on how much bandwidth its got. Might be too early though.

Soldato
I think for all this "it beats x by y percent" we should have a look on how well it performs on truly "next gen" engines or engines that are using a lot of "new" or future technologies, rather than "the old".

Soldato
Beats Titan by a few percent?? ;)

That doesn't really tell us much though tbh, a 780 beats a stock Titan easily when overclocked, if the new AMD card is already clocked to beat Titan @ stock, then it might have less headroom?

Likewise the 680 was clocked to beat a 7970, but we all know as soon as you clock the 7970 it takes the lead..

A lot of 780's can reach 1300mhz core. What I'm really interested in seeing is Max OC GK110 VS Max OC Hawaii.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom