AMD vs Intel with ECC RAM support for Proxmox host with TrueNAS Scale and plex etc

Associate
So, the time has come for me to upgrade from my trust HP Microsever which runs TrueNAS core at the moment, and I'm planning to go down the Proxmox, HBA pass-through for TrueNAS scale route on my new server, as I plan to use more VM's and containers to reduce some other physical hardware, in a Fractal Design R5 case I have with 4 or 6 HDD's.

As TrueNAS scale uses ZFS, ECC Memory support really is the only sensible path long term regardless of what people say. (Before someone says it, no DDR5's ecc like checking that's on every module is not the same and does not afford the same corruption protections)

So currently my options are AMD and the Asrock Rack B650D4U2LT with a Ryzen 7600 or 7700 or on Intel and something like the Supermicro X13SAE-F W680 based motherboard, running a i3 13400.
Power usage is probably similar, possibly going in AMD's favour.

The AMD5 solution gives much more socket longevity but as on of the things I plan to run is Plex, Plex's hardware transcode on AMD iGPU's could be an issue.

Has anyone got any current experience of this kind of Plex and Ryzen 7000 series setup.

Also is there any other solid CPU and Motherboard choices supporting ECC memory I should consider?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, upon further research it seems that ECC support on AM5 is a bit more widespread now and motherboards like the Asus B650 TUF become surprisingly cheap options. I'd lose IPMI compared to the other options but I'd be saving £200-£400 on the motherboard alone compared to the Asrock Rack and the Intel W680 options.

That may just swing it towards the AMD platform. If iGPU passthrough is too buggy, I guess a cheap nvidia card would probably be the way to go, but that's more hassle and pushing the hardware cost back up again.

Back
Top Bottom