• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
Turns out, Intel isn't the only one silly enough to do Big.Little

AMD has started working on its Zen 5 architecture and apparently early designs feature a Big.Little architecture like Intel is moving to

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-5-desk...feature-hybrid-core-architecture-3nm-process/

Wouldn't be surprised, for the most part current Gen CPU's are sort of like this by accident, given that not all cores preform equally. Binning already segregates CPU's and software already prioritizes use of fast and slow cores for appropriate purposes.

Arm proved it works, so there really isn't a good reason for it to not exist on desktop. It will mean however that CPU's that preform well at multiple virtualization are going to become increasingly associated with server and workstation roles over Desktop going forward.

Not that any rumours which are over a year out really worth commenting on though.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't be surprised, for the most part current Gen CPU's are sort of like this by accident, given that not all cores preform equally. Binning already segregates CPU's and software already prioritizes use of fast and slow cores for appropriate purposes.

Arm proved it works, so there really isn't a good reason for it to not exist on desktop. It will mean however that CPU's that preform well at multiple virtualization are going to become increasingly associated with server and workstation roles over Desktop going forward.

Not that any rumours which are over a year out really worth commenting on though.

Problem is the OS scheduler - the Windows one really doesn't handle this well and doesn't look like MS are on top of optimising it :s

Man of Honour
I'd be surprised if you actually have any real evidence that the Windows scheduler would be a problem. Can you provide a source for this?

Not like it is an unknown issue - it has been an ongoing problem for years with Windows and multi-core CPUs especially if not all cores are equal - hence some of the early Ryzen issues, etc. (also took a long time to sort some of the HT/SMT issues related to that).

Intel is using a hardware scheduler maybe amd will do the same.

Not sure it is as simple a solution as that given many of the legacy issues.

Soldato
OP
Overclocking is a dying art in an era of complex boost algorithms and configurable TDPs. No one is leaving much performance untapped these days.

It's sad but I'm starting to see it that way too.

I think for my next PC, I will use a small case and just stick a air cooler on the CPU, couple case fans and call it a day.

That's if I continue with desktop that is, I have a feeling my next computer will be a laptop.

Soldato
You've probably got 5-10 years left of custom PC building left for consumer machines, after that it's probably all going to be SoC with little to nothing other than plugging in a GPU, even the data storage can move off to USB/TB as it gets faster. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. :(

Associate
Whilst the ability to overclock a CPU is a nice benefit of extra performance, I've never understood why people have an expectation that they should be able to achieve significant overclocks, and then whine about it when they cant for a particular product Especially now, as mentioned above, where CPU's have much more complex boosting which the manufacturers are pushing to the upper limit themselves.

It's almost like people are saying "how dare the cpu company release a product that realises its full potential and maximises its performance".

(Yes, I know that the bounds can be pushed by liquid nitrogen cooling etc etc, but I'm talking about general average joe)

Don
Turns out, Intel isn't the only one silly enough to do Big.Little

It's nothing to do with being "silly enough", but has everything to do with power consumption for Laptops/Tablets and and USFF PCs - despite improvements to performance/watt in Ryzen, there is only so much potential to improve.

Apple have showed big gains in this area by switching to the M1 Processor, and in order to stay competitive especially in the laptop market, AMD will have to follow.
With increased focus on carbon footprint etc, then reducing power consumption is going to be an even bigger push going forward

Soldato
OP
Might as well get a Mac then.:p

or a iPad pro since Apple is putting desktop Mac CPU's in it's iPads now.

Give the iPad access to Mac OS and it will be an incredible portable computer - its not funny at all, its awesome.

I could see a future where all my computers have been replaced with iPads

Associate
Absolutely this. The days for 50%+ performance for free are far behind us.
Yes, nowadays it's more like the potential to overclock maybe 5% extra if you pay at least 50% more for the right CPU, mobo etc.
Now it's mostly pay-to-win.
No more taking a £35 mobo and an Intel Pentium E5400 and actually getting 50%+ extra performance for free. Or some of the Conroe Celerons where with a cheap board you could go from 1.6GHz to 3.2GHz or more.

Back
Top Bottom