AMG GT R - Der Tag

Man of Honour
OP
So Mercedes came out to the car yesterday and plugged in the diagnostic kit. It seems another engine mount issue like the one I had when I first bought the car. That saw all of the engine mounts replaced at the time, so this is a 12 month oldish engine mount. Car is booked into a different dealer for 28th and they now have the full diagnostics from Mercedes, so should be a replacement job.

Everything else with the car was prefect according to the diagnostics.

Soldato
So Mercedes came out to the car yesterday and plugged in the diagnostic kit. It seems another engine mount issue like the one I had when I first bought the car. That saw all of the engine mounts replaced at the time, so this is a 12 month oldish engine mount. Car is booked into a different dealer for 28th and they now have the full diagnostics from Mercedes, so should be a replacement job.

WOW, whatever way we peel that, that's either faulty part OR just poorly made, that shouldn't be going like that... it come under a warranty mate? What they making these things out of cheese?

Man of Honour
OP
WOW, whatever way we peel that, that's either faulty part OR just poorly made, that shouldn't be going like that... it come under a warranty mate? What they making these things out of cheese?
They are a flawed part it seems as happens on several cars. 991 GT3 had had similar issues

Soldato
I was going to go stance running 29's and camber of 82%

I think that's called being a Play A
5a799a449af28ddee0c509a53bb82e50.jpg

Man of Honour

Mercedes build quality really does get worse and worse. You’d hope for better with their premium products.

Man of Honour
OP
Time for an update as I have just MOT'd the car and had some fun it around Silverstone.

I have had this car for just over 3 years and have added around 21,500 miles in that time. It has been a superb car and by and large very reliable. A consistency has been the disappointing service offered by now 4 Mercedes dealers, which just as you think they have it sorted, they mess up. Good news as it goes in for a service shortly....so I am sure it will be find this time.....

Major issues were damper replacement early days and engine mounts later days, which were covered by warranty and down to sensor issues in the main. Llast year I had a front seatbelt buckle replaced which was due to an airbag sensor coming on passenger side telling me there was an airbag issue. I felt at the time this was unlikely to be the cause, but computer said yes, so that too was done under warranty. Few weeks later, error message is back which is intermittent so seems I was right. Collecting the car after said repair I found the fire extinguisher sitting in the footwell not in its cradle.....and the seatbelt not attached to the side of the seat a few weeks later when the first passenger got in. See paragraph above...that was dealer 4.

It is a fantastic fast car that is very very fast on road and track. It needs warm weather, but when up to temperature the Cup tyres come to life and it removes any traction issues you associate with RWD and 600bhp and just goes. The torque levels are immense so means from low down it just pulls and means it's easy to exploit compared to something like a GT3 which you need to be on the revs to get it to come to life. Overtaking puts a smile on your face at how easy it is and though 0-60 of around 3.5 is nothing to shout about these days.....0-100 in 6.8 shows what how fast it really is.

The nose goes where you point it road and track and the 4WS really make it feel super sharp, but does need getting use to. On track after 3-4 laps at pace the Cup's can start to show their heat and I saw them rise by 6-7 psi which needs managing else it goes all slip slide. Brakes too are exceptional and these don't fade, but heat transfer into the wheels which when on it mean to hot to touch, can throw off wheel weights!

I love the low down driving position, love the bucket seats, love the ability to set up dampers, throttle, gearbox and traction and have it well sorted for road use (soft dampers, manual, sports traction). It also sounds incredible and how it got legal sign off is still beyond me. It will make people jump, it really cracks and banks on overrun and bellows like NA V8 under hard acceleration. Tyres where inside out and need to be watched as from a quick check will look fine and can be cords inside.

Things I don't like is it can be a bit creaky first thing. Roll bar and door rubbers the worst offenders but when warmed up it's all fine. In the heavy rain it's dangerous frankly and needs careful care all round and in torrential parking and coffee. It drinks fuel when used hard, Silverstone saw around 4mpg but on a long run to Devon 26mpg which is fantastic really. It will super cruise so in comfort sort of puts itself in neutral on downhill throttle of situations. Services are sensible too, cheapest being less Thant 400 quid, most expensive 1400ish (as I recall) and warranty is around £1,400 which has more than paid for itself. Tyres circa £1500 for a set.

In terms of road presence and interest to others like no car Ive had before. Lots of windows down and thumbs up and lots of "wow looks at that" faces from people coming the other way. It does tend to get a few idiot boy racers who want to sit 1 inch from your bumper thumbs up when I just want them to @@@@ off and get back a few feet.

So all in all great fun and more fun to come. Ring in July, road trip this Friday for a friends 50th and more smiles as 2024 goes on. No plans to change or sell, but let's see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice write up! I’m thinking about moving to a GTR or GTR Pro when I sell my 600LT in 6 months. I’m always thinking whether I should try 991.2 GT3RS but as you mentioned, unless you’re high(er) up in the rev range, they’re not doing much for me.

I do track my cars 5-6 times a year so need to find something that doesn’t go through the brakes quick, or need track inspections all the time like the 600LT does.

Apart from the small issues are they generally issue free drivetrain wise? I assume you’re in owners groups etc so might have heard actual stories instead of Pistonheads gossip.

I’m itching to get back to modifying a car like I did with my R35 GTR and the AMG has some lovely looking, and sounding, mods out there!

OcUK Staff
Nice write up! I’m thinking about moving to a GTR or GTR Pro when I sell my 600LT in 6 months. I’m always thinking whether I should try 991.2 GT3RS but as you mentioned, unless you’re high(er) up in the rev range, they’re not doing much for me.

I do track my cars 5-6 times a year so need to find something that doesn’t go through the brakes quick, or need track inspections all the time like the 600LT does.

Apart from the small issues are they generally issue free drivetrain wise? I assume you’re in owners groups etc so might have heard actual stories instead of Pistonheads gossip.

I’m itching to get back to modifying a car like I did with my R35 GTR and the AMG has some lovely looking, and sounding, mods out there!

Having owned a GT3 and now 600 LT Spider, I tracked both and thought the GT3 was somewhat a disappointment, just think they are great but also very overhyped as compared to the 600 LT the GT3 was not even close in both how good it made me feel but also actual ability.

I’m not the best driver but using my smooth and mechanical sympathetic approach I was lapping Donington National around 1:17-1:18 in both GT3 and 458 on PS4S tyres.

The 600 LT Spider I’m doing 1:12-1:13 on AR1’s it is just on a whole other level of quick and feels like a proper race car on track, the brakes are insane but yes the car does eat the brakes I think for anyone tracking any McLaren then surface transforms or a steel conversion is an absolute must as the McLaren factory brakes are chocolate especially considering how lightweight a 600 LT is then it’s shocking how fast they get through brakes.

Go try a GT3 but having owned one and been my dream car it was somewhat a disappointment, I had more fun in the 458 on track and lap time was similar, the 458 was also a far better road car. But the 600 is just in a different league feels very Lotus like on track but far more race car vibes with huge power, it’s hitting nearly 150mph on Donington back straight, whereas my Exige was 126mph, GT3 134-136mph, 458 about 140mph.

For me the 600 is the best by miles on the road, nearly 458 comfort levels but been a Spider versatility of dropping roof and near 40mpg on a run.

I’d still love a Speciale but simple fact is for track work a 600 LT will be faster and it’s the baby LT, McLarens issue are the stupid over priced track inspections and their dealerships along with lack of warranty consistency on claims.

Go drive the Merc very different to a McLaren as you sit far back which makes for quite a difference in feel.

For me don’t think I can go anywhere from the 600 it delivers what I want in a car so much if it was just about speed I’d buy a 296 as at 200k they are a bargain but for all the performance the hybrids offers they seem disliked and I know an owner who summed owning one up as a croc of brown stuff.

Soldato
Time for an update as I have just MOT'd the car and had some fun it around Silverstone.

I have had this car for just over 3 years and have added around 21,500 miles in that time. It has been a superb car and by and large very reliable. A consistency has been the disappointing service offered by now 4 Mercedes dealers, which just as you think they have it sorted, they mess up. Good news as it goes in for a service shortly....so I am sure it will be find this time.....

Major issues were damper replacement early days and engine mounts later days, which were covered by warranty and down to sensor issues in the main. Llast year I had a front seatbelt buckle replaced which was due to an airbag sensor coming on passenger side telling me there was an airbag issue. I felt at the time this was unlikely to be the cause, but computer said yes, so that too was done under warranty. Few weeks later, error message is back which is intermittent so seems I was right. Collecting the car after said repair I found the fire extinguisher sitting in the footwell not in its cradle.....and the seatbelt not attached to the side of the seat a few weeks later when the first passenger got in. See paragraph above...that was dealer 4.

It is a fantastic fast car that is very very fast on road and track. It needs warm weather, but when up to temperature the Cup tyres come to life and it removes any traction issues you associate with RWD and 600bhp and just goes. The torque levels are immense so means from low down it just pulls and means it's easy to exploit compared to something like a GT3 which you need to be on the revs to get it to come to life. Overtaking puts a smile on your face at how easy it is and though 0-60 of around 3.5 is nothing to shout about these days.....0-100 in 6.8 shows what how fast it really is.

The nose goes where you point it road and track and the 4WS really make it feel super sharp, but does need getting use to. On track after 3-4 laps at pace the Cup's can start to show their heat and I saw them rise by 6-7 psi which needs managing else it goes all slip slide. Brakes too are exceptional and these don't fade, but heat transfer into the wheels which when on it mean to hot to touch, can throw off wheel weights!

I love the low down driving position, love the bucket seats, love the ability to set up dampers, throttle, gearbox and traction and have it well sorted for road use (soft dampers, manual, sports traction). It also sounds incredible and how it got legal sign off is still beyond me. It will make people jump, it really cracks and banks on overrun and bellows like NA V8 under hard acceleration. Tyres where inside out and need to be watched as from a quick check will look fine and can be cords inside.

Things I don't like is it can be a bit creaky first thing. Roll bar and door rubbers the worst offenders but when warmed up it's all fine. In the heavy rain it's dangerous frankly and needs careful care all round and in torrential parking and coffee. It drinks fuel when used hard, Silverstone saw around 4mpg but on a long run to Devon 26mpg which is fantastic really. It will super cruise so in comfort sort of puts itself in neutral on downhill throttle of situations. Services are sensible too, cheapest being less Thant 400 quid, most expensive 1400ish (as I recall) and warranty is around £1,400 which has more than paid for itself. Tyres circa £1500 for a set.

In terms of road presence and interest to others like no car Ive had before. Lots of windows down and thumbs up and lots of "wow looks at that" faces from people coming the other way. It does tend to get a few idiot boy racers who want to sit 1 inch from your bumper thumbs up when I just want them to @@@@ off and get back a few feet.

So all in all great fun and more fun to come. Ring in July, road trip this Friday for a friends 50th and more smiles as 2024 goes on. No plans to change or sell, but let's see what tomorrow brings.
Great write up! Thanks for sharing

Soldato
Having owned a GT3 and now 600 LT Spider, I tracked both and thought the GT3 was somewhat a disappointment, just think they are great but also very overhyped as compared to the 600 LT the GT3 was not even close in both how good it made me feel but also actual ability.

I’m not the best driver but using my smooth and mechanical sympathetic approach I was lapping Donington National around 1:17-1:18 in both GT3 and 458 on PS4S tyres.

The 600 LT Spider I’m doing 1:12-1:13 on AR1’s it is just on a whole other level of quick and feels like a proper race car on track, the brakes are insane but yes the car does eat the brakes I think for anyone tracking any McLaren then surface transforms or a steel conversion is an absolute must as the McLaren factory brakes are chocolate especially considering how lightweight a 600 LT is then it’s shocking how fast they get through brakes.

Go try a GT3 but having owned one and been my dream car it was somewhat a disappointment, I had more fun in the 458 on track and lap time was similar, the 458 was also a far better road car. But the 600 is just in a different league feels very Lotus like on track but far more race car vibes with huge power, it’s hitting nearly 150mph on Donington back straight, whereas my Exige was 126mph, GT3 134-136mph, 458 about 140mph.

For me the 600 is the best by miles on the road, nearly 458 comfort levels but been a Spider versatility of dropping roof and near 40mpg on a run.

I’d still love a Speciale but simple fact is for track work a 600 LT will be faster and it’s the baby LT, McLarens issue are the stupid over priced track inspections and their dealerships along with lack of warranty consistency on claims.

Go drive the Merc very different to a McLaren as you sit far back which makes for quite a difference in feel.

For me don’t think I can go anywhere from the 600 it delivers what I want in a car so much if it was just about speed I’d buy a 296 as at 200k they are a bargain but for all the performance the hybrids offers they seem disliked and I know an owner who summed owning one up as a croc of brown stuff.
To be honest, ar1s are amazing track tires so timing wise it’s hard to compare to ps4s.

I’ve heard similar about a gt3. Know a guy who sold his and he said while it was very capable it was also quite boring all around compared to other stuff he owns/drives - ultima for e.g.

Man of Honour
OP
Driving position needs getting used to as you do sit far back but that soon becomes normal and you do get used to it and have no issue slotting down the tightest roads. It is a wide car by any measure and also very low but again no biggie but can put people off on first experience. Needs time in the car to get used to how it does what it does.

Back
Top Bottom