Another shooting by US police

Associate
The officer shouts "Sheriff's office, open the door" several times, the last one just before he opens the door, so he should have heard it.

If we want to get into semantics about how anyone can shout that, fine, but he had a warning.
It is *entirely* possible - that a person on the other side of a front door (which are generally quite heavy and design to block noise from outside), in this own home, with other sources of noise (music/tv/etc) doesn't make out what the random person banging on his door in the middle of the night is yelling.

From the linked article:
Mr Crump said at the time of the shooting Fortson was on a video call with a friend, who described what she heard to his family's legal team.
The friend said the airman heard a knock on his apartment door and asked who was there, but received no response. He then heard a second, "very aggressive knock" but did not see anyone when he looked through the peephole.

The most pertinent facts here are: A guy was hanging out in his own home, not doing anything illegal, not breaking any laws, not bothering anybody. The police turn up and shoot him dead.

Caporegime
It is *entirely* possible - that a person on the other side of a front door (which are generally quite heavy and design to block noise from outside), in this own home, with other sources of noise (music/tv/etc) doesn't make out what the random person banging on his door in the middle of the night is yelling.

It was not the middle of the night and there is no noise blocking him from hearing the officer, as we can hear the audio when he opens the door from the body cam footage. The officer also shouts loudly who it is for a last time a second or so before the victim opens the door.

The door also doesn’t look very solid at all, it looks like a fairly cheap and basic one you see fitted on apartments/flats.

Last edited:
Associate
It was not the middle of the night and there is no noise blocking him from hearing the officer, as we can hear the audio when he opens the door from the body cam footage. The officer also shouts loudly who it is for a last time a second or so before the victim opens the door.

The door also doesn’t look very solid at all, it looks like a fairly cheap and basic one you see fitted on apartments/flats.
You absolutely *cannot* tell from the video what was or wasn't audible on the *other side* of the door when the police officer was shouting, or how far from the door the victim was, or what other noise source were going on *whilst the police officer was shouting* - just because you cant hear it on the video. Noise doesn't have to be deafeningly load to muffle what someone outside your house is shouting.

None of which changes the pertinent facts of the case: Man was minding his own business in his own home, the police turned up and shot him dead.

Caporegime
You absolutely *cannot* tell from the video what was or wasn't audible on the *other side* of the door when the police officer was shouting, or how far from the door the victim was, or what other noise source were going on *whilst the police officer was shouting* - just because you cant hear it on the video. Noise doesn't have to be deafeningly load to muffle what someone outside your house is shouting.

None of which changes the pertinent facts of the case: Man was minding his own business in his own home, the police turned up and shot him dead.

You absolutely can tell from the video as he opens the door seconds after the officer shouts for the last time who it is. I don’t know why you are making up nonsense like it was the middle of the night either.

Those doors are not sound proof at all. We have a multiple inch thick, solid wooden door on our property that’s well sealed and it’s still easy to make out someone shouting from outside.

The pertinent fact is opening the door with a gun in your hand when you know the police in your country shoot first and ask questions later if you have a firearm in hand.

Last edited:
Associate
You absolutely can tell from the video as he opens the door seconds after the officer shouts for the last time who it is. I don’t know why you are making up nonsense like it was the middle of the night either. Those doors are not sound proof at all.

The pertinent fact is opening the door with a gun in your hand when you know the police in your country shoot first and ask questions later.
How does the video, or how could it possibly show what was audible on the other side of the door, when it was very obviously filmed from the perspective of the police officer who was outside? Obviously it is clear on the video that the officer says because the microphone is right next to his mouth. You have absolutely no way of knowing what the victim did or didn't hear, you have absolutely no way of knowing what the victim "knew".

He was a man, holding a gun (down by his side) that he was legally entitled to own and legally entitled to hold, in his own home. And, again, he had committed no crime.

I accept I was wrong about the time of day - it changes nothing and isn't relevant.

Why are you bending over backwards to justify the police shooting some guy in his own home?

Caporegime
How does the video, or how could it possibly show what was audible on the other side of the door, when it was very obviously filmed from the perspective of the police officer who was outside? Obviously it is clear on the video that the officer says because the microphone is right next to his mouth. You have absolutely no way of knowing what the victim did or didn't hear, you have absolutely no way of knowing what the victim "knew".

He was a man, holding a gun (down by his side) that he was legally entitled to own and legally entitled to hold, in his own home. And, again, he had committed no crime.

I accept I was wrong about the time of day - it changes nothing and isn't relevant.

Why are you bending over backwards to justify the police shooting some guy in his own home?

I’m not bending over backwards to justify it. The culture over there is shocking but we know the majority of police officers don’t hang about once they see someone holding a firearm.

He is right behind the door when the officer shouts for the last time as he opens it like a second or so later. There is no loud audio present that would muffle that last shout and nor is the door good enough to muffle it.

Caporegime
Was the gun just on the victim or was it in his hand?
His arms just dangling down by his side and the guns pointing at the floor, he makes no attempt to raise that arm, his other hand with nothing in it is gesturing as he starts talking, but the other arm never moves anywhere. the cop shoots after about 1-2seconds.

That is a hard one to call tbh. The cop does identify himself and the guy answers the door with a gun in his hand.
No someone shouts "Sheriffs office" it doesn't mean it actually is.

The cop shots but the guy doesn't even try to raise the gun.....

poor training or should never have been allowed on the force, maybe if he waited for the other deputy first, then he wouldn't have panicked.

Wasn't there another fairly recent where a female police officer shoots into a house window point blank, reloads & empties another mag ? I think killing the person inside

I think she was investigating a burglary but the person had broke into their own apartment after being locked out.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is what happens when you have to arm the majority of the police force.. I know armed officers in the UK, any errant instinctual behaviour would be weeded out and unless you can be calm under pressure, you would likely not make the cut.
There's more to it than that, though; most other countries with routinely armed police don't see such regular disproportionate use of lethal force by police as the US does. To some extent that's a reflection of the level of threat they can potentially face, but the minimum amount of force possible should still be used.

It ain’t the movies. When you discharge your weapon you damn well make sure the person or thing you’re firing at isn’t capable of firing back.
Firing a gun to disarm someone, if you’re John Wick then maybe, Joe Bloggs not so much.
To an extent yes, but the US-style mag-dumping is in complete contrast to other countries where police are trained to "shoot to stop" by firing once (or twice) then reassessing the threat. There will be exceptions to that of course e.g. immediate threat, terrorist incident etc but it ties back into my point above about using the minimum amount of force necessary.

Soldato
Lol America.

The use of a taser would have worked fine and not killed the guy.

Stupid yanks and their love of guns strikes again.

Soldato
It happens so often now it won't be "news" soon.
In Merica they can't scratch their nuts without being blown away, in case they were going for a gun. Answering the door with one is not going to end well for you.

Soldato
Tasers don’t always work.

He could also spaz out and fire the gun off in any direction if his finger is on the trigger.

To an extent yes, but the US-style mag-dumping is in complete contrast to other countries where police are trained to "shoot to stop" by firing once (or twice) then reassessing the threat. There will be exceptions to that of course e.g. immediate threat, terrorist incident etc but it ties back into my point above about using the minimum amount of force necessary.

Their military does the same thing. Sometimes in the wrong direction. There is a general lack of thinking before shooting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just because someone claims to be the police doesn't mean they really are.

I think that’s the fourth time someone has replied with this now.

So we live in a society where you just don’t believe anyone and assume the worst? The situation is never going to improve then.

The percentage of people pretending to be police is minuscule in comparison to genuine call-outs.

Commissario
But there is a good chance they are when you've had a loud and heated argument which the whole neighborhood can hear.
A "heated argument".

Also There is a claim that the Police went to the wrong house, which wouldn't be the first time that they've gone to the wrong address and killed entirely the wrong person.

I think that’s the fourth time someone has replied with this now.

So we live in a society where you just don’t believe anyone and assume the worst? The situation is never going to improve then.

The percentage of people pretending to be police is minuscule in comparison to genuine call-outs.
There is at least one claim I've seen that he looked through a peephole on the day and didn't see anyone..

The friend said the airman heard a knock on his apartment door and asked who was there, but received no response. He then heard a second, "very aggressive knock" but did not see anyone when he looked through the peephole.

America, where you're expected to have a gun, and have "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" but where the police can shoot you basically no comeback if they force entry to your house, or you answer your door with anything in your hand.

I'm wondering when it'll come out the dead guy had a speeding ticket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom