Anyone going to the UK Gaming Expo?

Soldato
OP
Queue for 7am? That bad?
Is that so you can get in relatively quick?
If you leave it later does it take ages to get in?

Im not in a particular rush for anything specific.

Soldato
It can do, it's good to have an idea of what your want as some stuff can sell out. Learn the layout so you can go straight there.

The Bring & Buy can have some bargains but again, you need to get in early to be find the wishlist OOP games.

I am tempted to go again but the amount of people puts me off, it gets bigger every year. Think last year saw over 30,000 attend on the Saturday alone

Soldato
OP
Im completely new to this it seems :)
I was honestly thinking to take my daughter there as a day out... and picking up any games which lay our eyes on.
I wasnt thinking to bring anything to sell....

Considering the above, sounds like its a bit of hassle to go I guess?

Soldato
I went a few years ago and it was pretty fun for a day.

Going with someone that you can play a few games with will help to have random goes at things on the open tables or at booths. Unless you're open to finding a stranger to sit down and play with. Otherwise it's just walking around and looking.
Publishers usually have areas with their games free to play and there is open tables (Boardgame Library) that you can select random games from the shelves to have a go at.

If there's any up and coming games you can find the booth to see demos or join a game and see how the gameplay is/ask questions.

There are/were a lot of shops and traders often selling boardgames etc., as well as creators selling more custom items (more applicable to D&D or tabletop games that use miniatures/figures/decoration).

We also got tickets to Knightmare Live https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/events/1376-knightmare-live/ that was pretty entertaining and includes audience participation (if you remember the original TV show). Worth checking the other Live Entertainment if you can get tickets.

I don't remember any issues with the smell or other attendees :D We got lunch at some of the food trucks.

I thought it was a really good event when compared to some video game expos I've been to.

edit: just found my post and the thread from 2018 when I went: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/uk-games-expo-2018.18815967/#post-31860059

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been a few times but not for the last couple and I know it has grown a lot in the last few years.

I don't think being there for 7am is essential but any more than 30 minutes before doors open you'll end up in quite a large queue but it does go down extremely quickly.

There always seems to be a main game pick from the expo and that does sell out very quickly

Odour wasn't an issue, its a large open space so its not like you are stuck in small room, yes some people unfortunately will stink but unless you're sat next to them it wont be an issue, my issue was people with very large backpacks having very little consideration for others.

Friday is normally very busy, Saturday is an absolute nightmare, Sunday is normally the quietest of the days as a lot of places are out of popular stock items.

The shows can be great I got to attend SU&SD live podcast recording and it was a good show.

You shouldn't find it too difficult finding people other to play with and there is always plenty of tables set up ready for demonstration games too, there are also events that you need to book on to, although that was mainly for RPG sessions based at the Hilton when I went.

As mentioned the food trucks are plentiful but the area can get very busy, there is plenty chain restaurants a short walk away outside the NEC which will still be busy but can be a nice break from the crowds.

The bring and buy is a very big thing and is always busy, it can be a good place for bargains but it can also be an easy way to get ripped off with games with missing or damaged components.

Back
Top Bottom