Anyone on Toob?

Soldato
I'm currently on Virgin Media and our contract ends this week. VM have been 'fine I guess' but we're now paying close to £50 a month for Volt 250mbps. I'm looking for a speed increase and will be exploring getting ethernet installed around the house as our home wifi is not very good - in my office I get 25MBps downloads max but more importantly big ping spikes that grt me kicked off online games. My xbox in the lounge next to the router will get 35MBps max.

The Toob website says they install fibre right up to your house. Does that mean they will dig up the garden, and install the home connection in a spot of our choosing in the house? The current VM connection for some reason is in th far corner of the house and I would be looking to get the new router located more centrally.
The acceptable usage contract thing says they will reduce your speed if they detect excessive usage without defining what excessive usage is. If I download two 150GB games in one day (say a reinstall Windows day) would that get me into trouble?

I have a 'TUF Gaming' AX5400 Router with the VM router currently in modem only mode. I take it this will be better than whatever toob provide and the toob router can go into modem mode too?

Man of Honour

Few pages here. I'd argue that the vast majority of products on the market are better than Asus if you value security etc.

Man of Honour
I'm currently on Virgin Media and our contract ends this week. VM have been 'fine I guess' but we're now paying close to £50 a month for Volt 250mbps. I'm looking for a speed increase and will be exploring getting ethernet installed around the house as our home wifi is not very good - in my office I get 25MBps downloads max but more importantly big ping spikes that grt me kicked off online games. My xbox in the lounge next to the router will get 35MBps max.

The Toob website says they install fibre right up to your house. Does that mean they will dig up the garden, and install the home connection in a spot of our choosing in the house? The current VM connection for some reason is in th far corner of the house and I would be looking to get the new router located more centrally.
The acceptable usage contract thing says they will reduce your speed if they detect excessive usage without defining what excessive usage is. If I download two 150GB games in one day (say a reinstall Windows day) would that get me into trouble?

I have a 'TUF Gaming' AX5400 Router with the VM router currently in modem only mode. I take it this will be better than whatever toob provide and the toob router can go into modem mode too?
Like most FTTP installs toob will pass the very thin fibre channel through your grass or edging and around the walls of the house. There's a box that is installed on the outside of the house, and from that box is where the fibre is run into the house terminating to an ONT wherever you want it in the house. The ONT has a single Ethernet port to connect any router.

The toob router is a Linksys Velop MX4200 series, it's actually very good and you probably will find the single router has better wifi than your AX. I had the Asus RTAC68U with VM and the Velop has fewer features (that I never used anyway) but the wifi is strong rand faster. It's a solid router that does the job. It only has 3 Ethernet ports though so you may need a gigabit switch if you want to hard wire more stuff. I have a TPlink 16 port right next to the router for this purpose.

The fair use policy is only applicable to menaces, are you a menace? Yet to hear of anyone being throttled. I think that policy applies to those who are basically sat with servers file sharing 24/7 or thereabouts.

My monthly download looks like this and all's been fine for reference:

14IVbJ5.png

I've downloaded multiple Steam games in a day exceeding 100GB a bunch of times too and again no issues.

Typical speed at any time of the day:

16000952433.png

Associate
Is anyone having problems with Toob over the last 12-18 hours? I’m seeing high packet loss and slow loading websites. Not sure if it’s a me problem or a Toob problem.

I’m in what they call the Eastleigh and chandlers ford area

Associate

I’ve been running one for a little bit now. Lots of dropped packets. Just wasn’t sure if it was my side or theirs. A friend who is also with toob nearby is also having problems to likely toob side. I’ve given them a call and they will look into it

Man of Honour
You can test if it's your side of their side by simply connecting a computer directly to the ONT instead of going via the router. Keep it connected for a few hours and then recheck the BQM, if the updated graph segment shows no drops then it's your side or maybe even the router. Could be something connected to the router like a compromised device.

If it's their side then the fibre could be dodgy, the ONT could be dodgy or the box outside on the house wall could be dodgy or just toob's side too.

Associate
Thanks. Will try that when I get home. I suspect it’s more their side as prior to 8:30 last night I has using my own router. Switched to theirs after that just to make sure it wasn’t my router that was the problem.

Associate

I’ve been running one for a little bit now. Lots of dropped packets. Just wasn’t sure if it was my side or theirs. A friend who is also with toob nearby is also having problems to likely toob side. I’ve given them a call and they will look into it
Hi there, how did you get your graph to work? Mine is just a solid wall of red.

Back
Top Bottom