Anyone owned a Xedos 9 2.3 Miller SuperCharged?

Soldato
Obviously very rare nowadays (and rare even when they came out, I've never seen a miller in the flesh, only the boggo 2.5 V6) and I've just bought one and pick it up next week hopefully. However, I had a Xedos 6 for 3 years and covered 197k miles when I sold it, and it passed every MOT, not a single light bulb failure, was the best car I've ever had.

However, I seen this Miller 2.3 and couldn't resist, fancied one for a while. 2.3 V6 Supercharged that sounds superb, nice motorway cruiser/bruiser and a massive rarity with around only 20-30 of these on the roads I reckon in the country. Fully loaded as expected, everything works like a dream... zero rust (to be expected from the older Mazdas)... I'm happy as!!! Once again, always good to have something with an angle as the Miller Cycle engine is a one off... only unlike Wankel it works lol.

The one thing that doesn't is the from new LPG conversion, so I'll need to fix this, although it doesn't interfer with the running on petrol, however, I'm used to LPG with the JEEP and when I'm paying 49p per litre now which is what it costs... it makes a massive difference.

So, with the RX8 in limbo with a knackered rotor and the JEEP in again as the 2nd gearbox went last week... I need something bomb proof.

So, anyone owned one? Anything to look out for other than usual? i pretty know most stuff with these, however, always good to have opinion from previous owners.

XoXf7kh.jpg

mQPU1la.jpg

VV7DIGh.jpg

RFq7GOw.jpg

P.S. When will the Japanese realise leather doesn't look like plastic lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a T reg one - I let my heart rule my head - I got it about 5 years ago and paid 3k for it - was a nice car but it wasn't in same league as a Mondeo Ghia X that I had before - no heated seats for a car that cost best part of 45k new in 1998 - I loved the engine - 80 mph in second coming off motorway slip road onto motorway then rev limiter cut in - It was so smooth I didn't realise.

However they did suffer valve seal problems and mine puffed a lot of smoke on startup - also rocker cover gasket leaked and oil was in plug cavities - Changing plugs was nightmare - front three were 20 min the other 2hrs was back three.

I started off getting 25mpg but slowly over three years it dropped to 22 - 23 and petrol had climbed to nearly £1.50

The BBS wheels get porous and leak and couldn't fix mine - the Climate control controller packed up - You had one chance to set it immediately after start up then it wouldn't work again till next morning - The brakes are good - they were after I renewed discs and pads - easy job.

Mine was also same colour as yours.

In end took it scrappy as it was sitting on drive unused for 6 days a week and took 250 quid for it.

Now got diesel Focus and I really do miss that engine. Smooth and easy revving

Dave

PS - I seem to have lost all my pictures of car - The other thing I found out was the engine is a safe engine - if cam belt goes it won't wreck the engine - There are clips about the Miller on the tube

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Believe it or not, only 210bhp and 217lbs of torque I think, but seems to be the way it's delivered... very smooth... and I've got a motorbike for ragging etc... so wanted something to waft me along the roads to work etc.

Always fancied one and the cost of the thing... mental what you can get for your money (£400 quid). I'll give it a full service myself, and check it over with my mechanic and hopefully all is good... we will see... always a risk buying older cars etc... but sometimes, you have to be in it to win it.

@DX - Cheers yeah, that's the stuff that I've read up about... always good to hear from actual owners though...

Soldato
Once again, always good to have something with an angle as the Miller Cycle engine is a one off...

Only until the end of the year though! Audi have a Miller cycle engine for their next A4, though only a four pot.

Apart from the Jewish racing gold and Rover 620 styling, you have a really interesting car :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers fellas. I like the colour but yeah the styling is that rover look...

Yep, paid 400 for it on 90k, full service history, 1 owner... I find it incredible nowadays that for less money I pay in road tax on the RX8 I've got a whole car... Mental what you can get nowadays.

Soldato
OP
Well, picked the car up on Sunday after a 4 hour train journey. Initial impressions weren't that great simply because the car was under a tree and was full of green and crap all over her body... however started first time, idled perfectly... took around block, seemed out. Checked under chassis, panels etc... checked on drive for oil leaks... nothing...

Drove home, uneventful and sweet as a nut. Checked everything on her, all electrics work perfectly, car's got ZERO knocks or anything... however there are 4 things I've noticed:

1). Flat spot, so will remove all plugs, coils etc and check they're all functioning and check all the vaccum hoses and anything I can think of... however fires perfectly on all cylinders and idles fine so I dont' think this would be serious.
2). Odd stick on the accelerator pedal sometimes and this could be linked to above slightly actually
3). The front O/S caliper has seized a little... will remove this and check out, sure it'll be the slider jammed or something.
4). Original alloys starting to peel... do I refurb or just go and buy some nice new ones, possibly 18's or 19's would look nice and fill out the arches.

However, all bob on. So, based on this and assuming can sort the above, full service will be done, all fluids drained, make sure new fluids to my spec and the usual replacement of all discs and pads for cross drilled and grooved. However, there is one cost here... timing belt change. She had one on 66k miles, BUT that was 2006 and hasn't had one since. Now, it's a non interference engine so, if it goes, it won't cause damage however, 9 years? Rubber? no thanks as I don't fancy like living on a knife edge so just ordered a full Timing Belt Kit for £113 notes and will fit this over the next week hopefully. That ain't gonna be a two hour job, infact it'll be a nightmare on this engine.

So, today, I've gone at her and couldn't believe the crap I got off the paintwork to reveal absolutely A1 pristine paint for a 15 year old car. Not ONE SINGLE SPEC OF RUST anywhere on the body, arches, inside the doors, boot etc. Really cannot believe the underside of her, mint.

Basically went over the whole car tonight in Maguires Colour Restorer just to bring the metallic out... but by the time I'd then waxed it was dark and I couldn't see much BUT rubbing finger over paintwork, wow, for a couple of hours work, she's come up superbly.

Also, went quickly over the engine bay to wipe all the dust away so, hopefully bit by bit over the next couple of weeks can get her perfect. What I'll do is post some piccies, as on holiday for a couple of weeks, so once back, will post updates.

First Impressions? Well, tbh, I love it. For £400 quid it's incredible and I chucked the guy an extra £100 notes for the private plate as well, which is a nice 5 charactor one... looks great. The style I know my son hates, but tbh, for a large saloon I think it's sweet, has a road presence it really does AND is bigger than my old Xedos 6 by quite a bit. Goes well, sounds terrific with that V6/Super Charger... but the best thing is the ride. Blimey, it's soooo smooth in the bumps... not wallowy or anything, just soaks them up and the closest I've thought was the same as the Jag XJ I drove a few years back, very similar feel to the ride and the floating over UK roads.

Over all well chuffed to bits and if I can sort these bits and bobs out... and looks after her, she's becoming a seriously rare beast.

So, upgrades...
1). Clear Side Indicators - Done
2). Either refurb OR Larger wheels in proportion to car, possibly 18's
3). New double din satnav/stereo going in this weekend
4). Cross Drilled and Grooved discs - Done
5). K&N Filter - Done

That's it really, want to keep her original as you never know, in the UK in 3-4 years she may be literally one of a handful left...

Think a nice multispoke would look sweet...

main.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's ace, really ace.
Remember looking at one of those years ago and thought how smart it was. We have one local to us, still looks good to me now and IMO makes a lot of the newer designs (e.g. Merc) to look really OTT.

Do enjoy!

Associate
Sounds like a bargain!

Get some new pics up. I think adding bigger wheels may ruin the ride.

Does the handbrake need adjusting? Seems quite high in the pics!

Soldato
If you haven't removed the plugs yet when you do tie a piece of string to coil cables - my right hand one on back bank dropped down the back - I was kneeling on engine trying to find it- In end got a metal coat hanger and fashioned a bent hook and managed to fish it back up -- As you know there isn't a lot of room in there - don't forget the plugs are 12 quid each or they was.

Mine had a flat spot as well - never could be bothered to find it - I thought it was the throttle body or whatever it is where electric wiper runs over a copper strip when you accelerate.

It sounds like a nice buy and good luck with it.

Did you know all the body spaces are filled with expanding foam to cut down noise. - so I read once

Soldato
That's a great buy, i love the styling of the Xedos 6, always fancied the V6, the 9 styling was left abit iffy with the rear end which reminds me of a late 90's Maxima.

Those old Mazda's had great bodywork too and build quality before Ford came in with costcuttings and ruined it all and made them tacky like Fords.

Soldato
OP
Have you put this up for sale on Autotrader for £995?

No, why one appeared on there? Will check it out. Just put a coat of wax on her and done interior leather and plastic etc. All looking great at moment. Car will 've in for a cam belt change next week while I'm on holiday reckon that's a good 5 hours of work at least as an estimate... At least I'll know what it is.

I reckon we can sort flat spot and its linked to the accelerator... Will soon find out.

The wheels at moment are 225/45/17's... Reckon moving to a wider larger wheel 235/40/18's won't effect ride too much at all... But will improve looks greatly. Do love the look of them Fox alloys as well... Friend of mine might be selling same ones as well so might even get a bargain ... Result

Back
Top Bottom