Anyone suffered a dislocation?

Soldato
I dislocated my middle finger during footy last month, fortunately it was my left hand. Also, it was freezing that night so with hands being cold I could barely feel anything, it definitely looked far worse than it felt anyway. Went to A&E and had them pop it back in, but now that the swelling has come down a lot and my finger seems to be working again, I can't fully straight it nor fully bend it when clenching to make a fist.

Is this it or is it likely to return back to normal?? Anyone had any similar injuries and if so, did you ever get back to 100%? I'm past 40 now so recovery in general just isn't the same as it once was.

Soldato
I'm in my early 40's and have had the odd one here or there - my wife too. Really varies from incident to incident and I suppose person to person.

TBH in our experience they always return to a pretty much normal state after a fairly short while but you may be more susceptible to the same injury there going forward.

On average I would say that mine have recovered in a couple of weeks to a month but I did have a dislocation that I think was part of a hand break years ago. I had perpetual nagging pain for probably 20 years. Never enough to go to the doctors about but always there. Then then one day I inadvertently whacked my hand on a kitchen cupboard door that I hadn't realised was open I felt a popping sensation and the discomfort was gone???

Hope it gets better soon!

Associate
I dislocated my shoulder about 25 years ago. It popped back on its own seconds later. Really painfull for 5 days and felt loose for a few years, but it's been fine for the last 20 years. They do say the longer it's out for the longer the recovery is, or surgery may be needed.

Associate
Play volleyball and basketball so had my fair share of dislocated fingers. Popped most of them back in myself and it was sore for a couple of weeks then it started to dull down. I'm 31 now and have a middle finger I can't straighten fully and pinky finger I can bend 90 degrees towards my ring finger! :D

Can definitely feel a difference in the colder weather.

Dislocated my shoulder mountain biking and ended up with a massive tear in the labrum which needed surgery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dislocated my left shoulder a total of 3 times.

The first was through playing football, awkward landing on it with someone on top of me - put back in place at A&E followed by lengthy rehab and physio. Didn't feel 100% but felt functional.

7 months later, playing netball, it popped out again too easily - just jumping up in the air at full stretch to catch a ball. This required another trip to A&E for reduction, but also triggered them to do what they should have done the first time and perform an MRI. My labrum was in pieces and detached from the bone - surgery required.

Had the surgery in October 2015, went through stupid amounts of physio and rehab, was good for a few years before I got back in to sports. Took up boxing, and dislocated it throwing a hard jab which missed, and smashed the underside of my arm with the top of his shoulder/traps - popped out again January 2018.

Popped back in at A&E, wasn't bothered with getting an MRI or surgery this time around - rehabbed it enough to have my boxing debut in July 2018 and promptly retired from sports, now I'm just a gym bunny who has to be careful with what I do.

Soldato
Plenty of dislocations here:

10 anterior dislocations to my left shoulder
- First one popped back in fine, second one did the damage. Multiple other dislocations for different reasons (as simple as waving my arm around), surgery on my 25th birthday. One more since, reckless tackle at hockey, had to be sedated to have it reduced. No more since (Feb 2018), but it's still sore on a daily basis. Acutely aware of it, so occasionally have to compensate for it during sports. I have around 90% mobility.

1 anterior dislocation to my right shoulder
Once reduced (by myself), no more since. Back to normal function.

Both thumbs
Again through hockey - they tend to reduce on their own.

Most fingers and toes
Can happen at any time, various activities. More specifically my little finger on my right hand - my daughter grabbed hold of it as she was falling, tore it straight out :p

I should add, I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - affects connective tissue, so I'm more prone to dislocations.

@OP - after some time and rest, it should feel better. There's probably a fair bit of swelling to reduce before you'll be back to normal. But it should return.

Last edited:
Associate
I dislocated my shoulder about 25 years ago. It popped back on its own seconds later. Really painfull for 5 days and felt loose for a few years, but it's been fine for the last 20 years. They do say the longer it's out for the longer the recovery is, or surgery may be needed.

Exactly the same thing here. Was bench pressing on a half rack (stupid I know) and didn't rack the bar properly after completing a set. Bar went straight back and my right shoulder went out. Thankfully the adrenaline saved me and I was able to throw the bar forward, clearing my body and the motion popped it back into place.

The ache was horrible for about a week after but it left me with about an inch of extra rotation in my right rotator cuff. Brilliant for my golf swing :cry:

Sgarrista
Commissario
Kneecap.

It was quite a horrible sight as it slid around to the side, that was surprisingly unpaintful.

However when they manipluated it back into place, sweet mary jesus that was something else.

Associate
I dislocated my middle finger during footy last month, fortunately it was my left hand. Also, it was freezing that night so with hands being cold I could barely feel anything, it definitely looked far worse than it felt anyway. Went to A&E and had them pop it back in, but now that the swelling has come down a lot and my finger seems to be working again, I can't fully straight it nor fully bend it when clenching to make a fist.

Is this it or is it likely to return back to normal?? Anyone had any similar injuries and if so, did you ever get back to 100%? I'm past 40 now so recovery in general just isn't the same as it once was.
Did my big toe playing football. That was at 90 degrees to my foot, but popped back in without much effort at hospital. Have to say its never been back to as it was. Not as flexiable, still a bit swollen, and aches when it gets cold, and thats 15 years on. ALthough its less severe than a break I think it still has the same effect of never being back quite right.

Soldato
OP
Kneecap.

It was quite a horrible sight as it slid around to the side, that was surprisingly unpaintful.

However when they manipluated it back into place, sweet mary jesus that was something else.
Funny you should say that, this exact same injury happened to a mate of mine during football a few years ago. He did a slide tackle wrong, so it was sort of his own fault but he stayed on the floor in pain and we thought he was exaggerating it. When we got closer we saw his knee cap had vanished, the area where it should be was going inwards instead, and the kneecap had moved to the other side. That was another ice cold Dec evening but he had to lay on the floor for almost 2 hours until the ambulance arrived. Looked nasty though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did my big toe playing football. That was at 90 degrees to my foot, but popped back in without much effort at hospital. Have to say its never been back to as it was. Not as flexiable, still a bit swollen, and aches when it gets cold, and thats 15 years on. ALthough its less severe than a break I think it still has the same effect of never being back quite right.
Reading some of the injuries in the thread I feel quite fortunate it was just a middle finger tbh but yeah, I get the feeling it will never be quite right. It's only been a month but let's wait and see.

With a lower back injury a few years ago which was much worse and now this, I think it's possibly one more and then call it a day, maybe take up some other hobby.

Associate
Exactly the same thing here. Was bench pressing on a half rack (stupid I know) and didn't rack the bar properly after completing a set. Bar went straight back and my right shoulder went out. Thankfully the adrenaline saved me and I was able to throw the bar forward, clearing my body and the motion popped it back into place.

The ache was horrible for about a week after but it left me with about an inch of extra rotation in my right rotator cuff. Brilliant for my golf swing :cry:
I was a little different. I was away skiing in Mayerhoffen. I fell over drunk in the carpark.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Funny you should say that, this exact same injury happened to a mate of mine during football a few years ago. He did a slide tackle wrong, so it was sort of his own fault but he stayed on the floor in pain and we thought he was exaggerating it. When we got closer we saw his knee cap had vanished, the area where it should be was going inwards instead, and the kneecap had moved to the other side. That was another ice cold Dec evening but he had to lay on the floor for almost 2 hours until the ambulance arrived. Looked nasty though.

I had a picture of it at one point, will see if I can find it :cry:

Back
Top Bottom