Anyone tried buckwheat overnight oats/porridge?

Soldato
I'm beginning to wonder if overnight oats might not be for me, digestion-wise. Has anyone tried replacing oats with buckwheat? Seems to be the go-to grain.

As far as I know I'm not gluten-intolerant or anything like that, but something is definitely amiss. I feel so bloated throughout the morning, just not a happy bunny in that department really.

Seeing mixed messages about what type of buckwheat to get (pre-soaked/cooked), kasha, whether or not they have to be rinsed/cooked etc. I do really like the ease of overnight oats as I'm terrible in the mornings :p

Any advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
otay-okay.gif

Whenever I hear buckwheat this comes to mind

Associate
Own brand value *wheat bisks* or whatever they are called, 24 for about £1. One carton lasts me a month for work breakfasts, sometimes I will have 2 and obviously doesn't last as long but its far from expensive. Branded when not on offer are however pretty extortionate

Soldato
OP
Own brand value *wheat bisks* or whatever they are called, 24 for about £1. One carton lasts me a month for work breakfasts, sometimes I will have 2 and obviously doesn't last as long but its far from expensive. Branded when not on offer are however pretty extortionate
Absolutely zero chance a single wheat-thing would last me until lunchtime!
My father in law always soaks his oats over night for porridge, just seems a right faff imho
It's about 3mins to measure out 4x oats, 4x milk/water and chuck a couple of big spoonfuls of greek yoghurt on and mix it up. There you have four portions and all you need to do in the morning is take it out of the fridge and transfer to a bowl. It's a massive timesave in the morning over porridge or anything else that's not simply cereal+milk.

Associate
Absolutely zero chance a single wheat-thing would last me until lunchtime!

It's about 3mins to measure out 4x oats, 4x milk/water and chuck a couple of big spoonfuls of greek yoghurt on and mix it up. There you have four portions and all you need to do in the morning is take it out of the fridge and transfer to a bowl. It's a massive timesave in the morning over porridge or anything else that's not simply cereal+milk.
But does it taste far better? I usually decide what I want for breakfast in the morning

Soldato
OP
But does it taste far better? I usually decide what I want for breakfast in the morning
I would say it tastes creamier than standard porridge due to the yoghurt. You can get it in some fancy hotels and it's uber-lux and quite decadent. But like porridge it really depends what you put on it. I put salt, cinnamon, almonds, 1/2 banana and blueberries, and some honey or date syrup. Because you get it out of the fridge I usually make it a bit stodgier to begin with, and mix in some boiled water first so it's not too cold.

If you like porridge you won't dislike it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking back to the OP/issue, have you tried leaving out the overnight oats until they get to room temp? Might help with the bloat.

Back
Top Bottom