Poll: Apple iPad Pro

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
confused that they didn't switch it to x86 architecture and throw a intel core m in there. seems the obvious choice for a "pro" machine - especially given the introduction of the recent 12" macbook, but maybe I'm an idiot and apple knows something i don't.

In terms of productivity, it doesn't seem to offer much more than the original iPad bar more screen real estate. Keyboard and stylus have been available for a while from third parties.

Soldato
confused that they didn't switch it to x86 architecture and throw a intel core m in there. seems the obvious choice for a "pro" machine - especially given the introduction of the recent 12" macbook, but maybe I'm an idiot and apple knows something i don't.

In terms of productivity, it doesn't seem to offer much more than the original iPad bar more screen real estate. Keyboard and stylus have been available for a while from third parties.

The stylus isn't really the improvement - as you said its been available third party since day dot - however the screen is much more accurate then other iPads allowing a closer 1-1 'drawing' on the screen when utilising a stylus when compared to other models.

Soldato
The stylus isn't really the improvement - as you said its been available third party since day dot - however the screen is much more accurate then other iPads allowing a closer 1-1 'drawing' on the screen when utilising a stylus when compared to other models.

i wasn't aware of that - and thats something that sounds more useful for productivity.

nevertheless, would have been nicer with the core m in.

Soldato
Imagine a Surface Pro 3 with no kickstand, no dockability, limited ecosystem, no expandable storage/USB port, dubious palm rejection and $200+ more expensive and you basically have the iPad Pro - I think that covers it? :p

Soldato
Will the Pencil improve my Boom Beach attacks? Tbh that's all I play on it.

This is the issue Apple need to overcome :p if its as powerful as Apple claim (and the rumours lead people to believe) then its as powerful as the 2013 macbook pro in any application that utilises both CPU and GPU - so Apple need some dedicated applications that make good use of all the power otherwise its just a larger angry birds machine.

Imagine a Surface Pro 3 with no kickstand, no dockability, limited ecosystem, no expandable storage/USB port, dubious palm rejection and $200+ more expensive and you basically have the iPad Pro - I think that covers it? :p
As i said, the chip in the iPad pro should be quicker then the Surface Pro 3 - shame there's no applications to make use of the power.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the issue Apple need to overcome :p if its as powerful as Apple claim (and the rumours lead people to believe) then its as powerful as the 2013 macbook pro in any application that utilises both CPU and GPU - so Apple need some dedicated applications that make good use of all the power otherwise its just a larger angry birds machine.

As i said, the chip in the iPad pro should be quicker then the Surface Pro 3 - shame there's no applications to make use of the power.

Well it better be something with the Pro4 about to be released.

Imagine if MS did put a Surface like this out..imagine the laughter scorn etc.

Soldato
Well it better be something with the Pro4 about to be released.

Imagine if MS did put a Surface like this out..imagine the laughter scorn etc.

Im not defending it, just saying its got all the power it needs which is quite an achievement for an ARM based chip.

Soldato

Are you quite sure, this is faster than an i5? Where are you sourcing that?

Soldato
Are you quite sure, this is faster than an i5? Where are you sourcing that?

Cant find it now, but the a8x in benchmarks scored around 20% lower then the surface pro 3 in CPU, and 10-15% lower in CPU/GPU combined benchmarks so its a safe assumption that the a9x will be quicker - even if Apple's claims of 1.6x increase are best-case-scenario.

I remember a week or so ago reading that internal benchmarks for the ARM chip the a9x was rumoured to be based on scoring 30% higher then the i5 used in the Surface pro 3. But we shall see soon enough i guess.

Soldato
I can't see it being that more powerful than the i5, but then you choose with the SP3 up to an i7.

The A8x isn't far off if you wish to do some google-fu - its not such a stretch. Just because Intel are the king of the desktop it doesn't mean their mobile cpu's are as all conquering.

Back
Top Bottom