Apple's HUGE cancelled SoC from Project Titan

Soldato
Some details have emerged about the SoC chip that was developed for use in the now canceled Apple Car, project titan.

The SoC that would be used in Apple's first car was going to be equivalent to about four M2 Ultra's, or about 96 CPU and 240 GPU cores. The SoC would also have about 7 times more transistors than an RTX4090.

I'm not sure why the car needed such a powerful computer, but I can see why Project Titan was cancelled for not being a financially viable product - having a single component in your car, a SoC, that costs like $20k is a problem. The only other $20k single components on cars these days would be a massive battery pack on an EV and people just barely accept that, imagine it costs $40k just for the battery and computer on the Apple car

Soldato
Associate
I'm not sure why the car needed such a powerful computer,

Probably set themselves a set of targets ( like processing positions per second ) which ended up requiring a ludicrous amount of cpu processing power.

I also wonder about how much power it would have chewed. 7x 4090 power usage …. Even a low power version would chew a ton of wattage out of the battery potentially.

Back
Top Bottom