Applying Group Policies in Windows 2008 Server

Soldato
I currently have 2008 server running on a virtual machine and have successfully added my laptop to the domain.

Now i'm trying to set the homepage to the laptop from...

User Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > disable changing home page settings.

IE on the server is configured correctly and is how I want it but it still hasn't applied to the laptop.

I've also tried Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Mainentance, but i've had no joy.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Associate
make sure you have admin rights on the laptops C drive or the changes wont apply, might be worth adding the domains admin account to users on the laptop too.

Last edited:
Associate
Reboot the laptop and be patient are 2 words of advice.

Policies (at least on W23K) sometimes take a while to apply to clients.

Also try gpupdate /force on the laptop followed by a reboot.

Soldato
OP
Reboot the laptop and be patient are 2 words of advice.

Policies (at least on W23K) sometimes take a while to apply to clients.

Also try gpupdate /force on the laptop followed by a reboot.

Believe me I was!

Our 2000 server running Exchange with 80 odd computers beat my 2008 server which only had a laptop connected to it! ;)

I'll try everything that's been suggested tomorrow when i'm back in work.

Cheers! :)

Associate
I assume you know that this is a per-user configuration, and applying it to the machine will do nothing!

Run a "gpresult" on the laptop. It'll pull the RSOP for the machine and currently logged on user. If your policy is applying it should be listed.

After that try running the full RSOP (Resultant Set Of Policy) snap in using "rsop.msc". That will show you the final policies as applied, and therefore the current configuration.

Associate
ummm no users don't have to be domain admins to have policies applied to them.

Nor do the domain admins group need to be added to the local admins group on a workstation. They're added automatically when the machine is joined to the domain. (Unless it's changed in 2k8)

Associate
I currently have 2008 server running on a virtual machine and have successfully added my laptop to the domain.

Now i'm trying to set the homepage to the laptop from...

User Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > disable changing home page settings.

IE on the server is configured correctly and is how I want it but it still hasn't applied to the laptop.

I've also tried Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Mainentance, but i've had no joy.

What am I missing?

Which GPO are you editing? Default Domain Policy, Default Domain Controller Policy, or one you've created yourself?

If you have created one yourself, where is the GPO linked to exactly?

Soldato
Never ever change the default domain policy.

Always create a new one.

Why?

So I can't add proxy server details for IE on a default domain policy?

So I can't set password auditing and requirements on a default domain policy?

Whats your rationale for this. It seems like a throwaway comment tbh

Soldato
Why?

So I can't add proxy server details for IE on a default domain policy?

So I can't set password auditing and requirements on a default domain policy?

Whats your rationale for this. It seems like a throwaway comment tbh

Best practice with policy settings is to limit their scope to the people / computers who you really want to manage, the default domain, security, and DC policies do not allow you to do this. With many policies rather than everything in one you can be more granular in your targetting, based on OU and group membership.

Twice i have been charged out to customers who have edited the default policies, change something that had an unexpected impact and were unable to fix them. Had they created specific policies they would have been able to fix or at least troubleshoot the issue. One was an easy fix, the other had locked out all the users including the administrator. Luckily it was a dev environment so no users were impacted, but the 2 week SMS proof of concept running in there was lost, putting a project back and costing thousands.

Also, from a management point of view it is much easier to work with seperate policies that are clearly named in relation to what they do, rather than run a report against one policy and finding its been buggered about with by a dozen people to do 50-odd different things.

Thats just my experience, ymmv.

Soldato
Best practice with policy settings is to limit their scope to the people / computers who you really want to manage, the default domain, security, and DC policies do not allow you to do this. With many policies rather than everything in one you can be more granular in your targetting, based on OU and group membership.

Twice i have been charged out to customers who have edited the default policies, change something that had an unexpected impact and were unable to fix them. Had they created specific policies they would have been able to fix or at least troubleshoot the issue. One was an easy fix, the other had locked out all the users including the administrator. Luckily it was a dev environment so no users were impacted, but the 2 week SMS proof of concept running in there was lost, putting a project back and costing thousands.

Also, from a management point of view it is much easier to work with seperate policies that are clearly named in relation to what they do, rather than run a report against one policy and finding its been buggered about with by a dozen people to do 50-odd different things.

Thats just my experience, ymmv.

I agree that where you need granularity you should create additional group policies. But where you need settings uniform across the entire domain (like in our case, Internet proxy settings, and password policies) I see no reason not to use the default domain policy.

Anything else I'd use separate policies (and frequently do!)

Not sure yet what 2008 brings to the table re: GP's but I'll be giving it a go later in the year.

Back
Top Bottom