Appraisal - employer not delivering

Associate
With my example your procurement team would also be acting to keep their customer.

This is the problem with SOME aspects of employment law. It can be very difficult to get rid of underperforming staff.

It's really not if you have the process in place to manage performance.

You need to set clear and defined performance levels, then help people to achieve them. Have action plans in place and regular sit downs.

If performance slips, find out why and try to rectify. Train find out why the issues are occurring etc and try to solve.

Make sure it's all documented and fair, and actually try to help them get to the standard. Then if they are still under performing, then you can formalise the dis apiary route.

It's not that hard, but it sounds like you are approaching the situation looking to sack and not solve a problem.

Caporegime
This is the problem with SOME aspects of employment law. It can be very difficult to get rid of underperforming staff.

depends, if you can quantify it then you can get rid of them in a little over 6 months by putting them on a PIP (performance improvement plan) - obviously if they improve then you don't get rid of them (but then your problem is hopefully solved too - unless you had a personal grudge in which case you've got the issue really )

if they've been there for less than two years it is much more straightforward

Caporegime
OP
So, notice is in and I've given work a bit of time (2 weeks) for either someone more senior (basically means CEO or a VP) or HR to approach me after I requested an exit interview. So far nada.
My boss has spoken to me at length about it and stated he's going to be gutted to lose me however without me even mentioning them he guessed my reasons and said he doesn't blame me in the slightest and that he's already mentioned the way I've been treat whilst at the company has been poor. He also apologised, saying that in many cases it's looked like he was unwilling to do x or y but it's simply the case that he couldn't. The instructions from above were simply very clear.

It's a shame really as I have some fantastic colleagues, I greatly enjoy the industry, the work I do is interesting and quite frankly I'm very good at it.
I have no idea at this point if they'll try and come up with a counter-offer to retain me but frankly it would have to be exceptional for me to even consider it. The stupid thing is if they'd even been willing to make a little effort before now they wouldn't have to.

Soldato
So, notice is in and I've given work a bit of time (2 weeks) for either someone more senior (basically means CEO or a VP) or HR to approach me after I requested an exit interview.

Good for you - one door closes but another opens - but it sounds like your conversations with your manager have been taken as constituting your exit interview.

Caporegime
OP
Could well be that's what they intend but I've literally had nothing from them other than acknowledgement that they've received my notice. They haven't even confirmed my leaving date.

Back
Top Bottom