Are you a top revenue earner?

Caporegime
Isn’t that true of most industries? You don’t just waltz into a senior role without prior industry experience.

A train driver is no different to a HGV driver yet their pay is about 50% more. The difference is they have really strong unions.

If you do not live within 10 minutes of the depot you are applying for then your C.V is thrown out the window. Then you need to a pass a test that you cannot practice for and you only get two chances at it. After that you get put into a talent pool and then have to wait to be trained. Once you have done all that you get trained for 18 months before being let out on your own.

After you have done that you get to do the same route over and over for the rest of your life whilst still trying to maintain some sort in sanity. If you are unlucky you get to witness killing someone with the train you are driving too. The grass isn't that green otherwise their wouldn't be recruitment drives every year.

Soldato
I'm not convinced a train driver or tube driver is a 'senior' role in the industry.
My other half works for LU and told me it's one of the most sought after roles on the network and one the highest paid positions that doesn't involve managing people (service operator probably gets more). Typically any role that becomes available it's filled internally, with that person coming froma waiting list of trained drivers.

Soldato
My other half works for LU and told me it's one of the most sought after roles on the network and one the highest paid positions that doesn't involve managing people (service operator probably gets more). Typically any role that becomes available it's filled internally, with that person coming froma waiting list of trained drivers.

Yup, a de facto closed shop.

Back
Top Bottom