• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arraghhh which card

Associate
Ok, I have decided to upgrade my RX6800 to either a 7900XT or a 4070ti Super but for the life of me can't decide which. I am going to wait for either a good (sapphire) 7900Xt to hit £700ish or a 4070ti super to hit £750ish.

Problem is a really like Radeon driver suite and I am not that interested in raytracing however have enough of an interest to try it. I don't care about path tracing as I won't get good results on either. I notice that even on Alan Wake the RT on low gives bad performance on the NVidia card unless its a 4090.

In general do games have a low RT setting that works well on the 7900XT ?

Sorry, a bit out of the loop with it all and just can't decide.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Buy both and enjoy, yolo and all that. :cry:

Seriously though sounds like its best to hang on if the choice is that hard to make as the RX6800 is a nice card and should be fine till the next generation stuff comes out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Buy both and enjoy, yolo and all that. :cry:

Seriously though sounds like its best to hang on if the choice is that hard to make as the RX6800 is a nice card and should be fine till the next generation stuff comes out.

Yeah, that was the intention, but looking on fleabay I can see that my current card is still sold at around £350 and its an easy way for me to spend some money that is wrapped up in our side business so just not sure which way to jump.

Soldato
I would argue you not really out of the loop as you think...you already know exactly where this gen cards stands as it is.

If RT is an issue, there's really no solution except for getting at least a 4080ti or 4090 even as you said...

...or just stay put and try your best to ignore the upgrade itch and wait and see what next gen would bring.

Last edited:
Soldato
Erm... A RX 7900 XT for £600 would be quite an attractive buy.

Maybe a RTX 4070 Super for £500?

The MSRP prices are about £100 too high, they need to come down.

EDIT - Overclockers have an RTX 4070 Super for £540, which is an OK price, could be worth it at £520?

If you look around, it's possible to get an RX 7800 XT with 3 fans (good hotspot temp) for ~£470. That deal seems to be expiring soon.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Erm... A RX 7900 XT for £600 would be quite an attractive buy.

Maybe a RTX 4070 Super for £500?

The MSRP prices are about £100 too high, they need to come down.

EDIT - Overclockers have an RTX 4070 Super for £540, which is an OK price, could be worth it at £520?

If you look around, it's possible to get an RX 7800 XT with 3 fans (good hotspot temp) for ~£470. That deal seems to be expiring soon.

Yeah thanks, the only real option here though is the 7900XT. Not willing to drop to a 12gb card for the super and gives very marginal gains over my current one. Same with the 7800XT. Haven't totally written the 7900XT off yet but looking like I might just wait now for the RDNA 4 cards.

EDIT - Also as ridiculous as this sounds because we usually here about it the other way but I have been so happy with AMD software and Freesync implementation that I am slightly concerned about jumping to NVIDIA especially having read some reports of stuttering with latest drivers with freesync etc. So it will either be 7900XT or RDNA 4 if I can hold out.

Last edited:
Soldato
My only other suggestion might be a RX 7900 GRE. When googling that, there's one for ~£660.

It's a weird card with poor availability, but apparently similar performance to a RTX 4070 TI.

Maybe the prices will come down on these, but for whatever reason, there just haven't been many produced.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My only other suggestion might be a RX 7900 GRE. When googling that, there's one for ~£660.

It's a weird card with poor availability, but apparently similar performance to a RTX 4070 TI.

Maybe the prices will come down on these, but for whatever reason, there just haven't been many produced.
I see you have a 7900XT, what was your previous card and how do you find it ?

Soldato
I see you have a 7900XT, what was your previous card and how do you find it ?
I got a clearance Sapphire card from Overclockers (B grade) in May 2023. It's been good so far.

Send Gibbo a message, maybe they can do you an offer?

Regarding the RX 6800, it can comfortably play just about any game at 1080p Ultra, so it depends if that's enough for you?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I got a clearance Sapphire card from Overclockers (B grade) in May 2023. It's been good so far.

Send Gibbo a message, maybe they can do you an offer?

Regarding the RX 6800, it can comfortably play just about any game at 1080p Ultra, so it depends if that's enough for you?

Yeah the 6800 I use at 1440p and does well in most games but is just coming to the point now that it can drop below 60 in the latest high demanding stuff, dont mind dropping to high here and there at the moment but it is time to consider an upgrade. Maybe 7900XT's will drop to £650 ish in the not so far future.

Associate
Ok, I have decided to upgrade my RX6800 to either a 7900XT or a 4070ti Super but for the life of me can't decide which. I am going to wait for either a good (sapphire) 7900Xt to hit £700ish or a 4070ti super to hit £750ish.

Problem is a really like Radeon driver suite and I am not that interested in raytracing however have enough of an interest to try it. I don't care about path tracing as I won't get good results on either. I notice that even on Alan Wake the RT on low gives bad performance on the NVidia card unless its a 4090.

In general do games have a low RT setting that works well on the 7900XT ?

Sorry, a bit out of the loop with it all and just can't decide.

I have a reference 6800 that I've had since release. Just over 3yrs later, there is absolutely nothing out there worth upgrading too unless you drop ridiculous money.

i think the 6800 will suffice for another 2yrs imo

Soldato
Yeah the 6800 I use at 1440p and does well in most games but is just coming to the point now that it can drop below 60 in the latest high demanding stuff, dont mind dropping to high here and there at the moment but it is time to consider an upgrade. Maybe 7900XT's will drop to £650 ish in the not so far future.
You can get a B-Grade RX7900 XT for £600 now, thought you might like to know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of these B-Grade cards have had a £300 price cut :eek:.

For some of the top cards, it's more than that.

Don't disagree about warranties though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom