ASUS 42" ROG Swift PG42UQ

Associate
It artifacted my screen.

When the monitor rebooted it thou it looked fine during the init and windows logo. Once it hit the lock screen things went screwy. So it might be a windows driver issue. It wrecks the monitor system menu as well however so you can't even try to fix it in that. Went back to .33 and works again. I'll leave it to bigger brains to fix.

if you wanna see the artifact'n.
After a back and forth with ASUS they wanted to try installing the firmware with a different computer and in SDR. So I grabbed a 2070 comp I had in the bedroom, hooked it up installed latest drivers and tried the .40 firmware install on that.

And it worked. the screen was fine. Hooked my main computer up to it and the screen was perfect. Even after I changed all the monitor setting to what I like.

So now I'm rocking .40 too.

Associate
I am still running v031 without issues. Is anyone experiencing ANY issues with v040? (I have been waiting for 100% safe version to update to)

I mostly use uniform brightness at 120 cdm2.

Associate
Im looking at picking up one of these, In PBP mode can you split it so resolutions are in 1920x 2160? Rather than keeping whatever resolution and squashing it to fit in the correct aspect ratio?

Associate
Im looking at picking up one of these, In PBP mode can you split it so resolutions are in 1920x 2160? Rather than keeping whatever resolution and squashing it to fit in the correct aspect ratio?

I believe you control the resolution from the video source. I just recently started using the PIP/PBP features of this display and so far they seem among the best I have seen before.

Associate
Hello everybody,
this is my first post here and i hope, that i wasn't to blind to see the Informations i'm searching for.
I've got my new ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ and the first hours i was really happy about it.
Now i have a big problem: Does anybody of you have the problem, that if you are using word and you are marking the text for example with yellow, that the edges are red and "green".
Talked with the asus support, and they told me, that this isn't normal and i have to exchange the monitor.
Before i do this, i wanted to be curious, that the problem would be fixed with a new one.

20230315-101654.jpg

Thanks everybody for the help.

I draw a picture with ms paint to reproduce this issue:
White background.
Yelllow square

This is enough, letters not necessary.
On the left and right side of the yellow square I also see a red and green line on screen, exactly like your photo.

I was wondering, you seemed to have returned your PG42UQ and received a new one, does the new one still have this same behaviour ?

Associate
I have some tips for those with the same monitor.

Here is the settings are used to keep colors as good as possible:

1. Enable HDR in windows/display settings.

2. Go to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Color Settings:

Red Channel:
Brightness: 47%
Contrast: 50%
Gamma: 0.9
Digital Vibrance: 50%
Hue: 0

Green Channel:
Brightness: 50%
Gamma: 1.0

Blue Channel:
Brightness: 52%
Contrast: 52%
Gamma: 1.02

It's also important to run windows HDR calibration tool and keep it minimal.

These settings improved colors a lot, especially the white, which is otherwise blueish is now more white.
Orange is less neon like, though still a little bit neon like but might better.
Rest seems ok.

Associate
I have discovered something while doing some RGB testing.

When HDR mode is on in Windows it will lead to "color deformations" for the normal RGB outputs.

For now I would recommend to disable HDR in windows, and let windows/applications switch to HDR when they fully/truely support it, otherwise NON-HDR games/applications will have slight color issues/deformations.

Associate
(I am reverting back to everything at default 50%, gamma 1.00 and so forth and HDR off, I think this is the best setting for now for windows 11). (I do notice a little bit of color bending on gradients with default settings, but there will probably always be a little bit... for now I like the whites and grays better in windows 11, seems more natural/normal, HDR seems to make the display a bit brighter, but it's a bit of a gimmick for now it seems).(For medical images, like the color of blood this might matter, light red blood versus slightly darker red blood)... My eyes seem to prefer HDR/brighter, but it's not the true color I think ! ;) :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think there is also some trickery going on by the monitor manufacturer, for example, the monitor settings them selfes are default brightness 80 or 90% and contrast only at 80% which makes RGB/SDR content look darker. In HDR brightness is 100% and I suspect contrast may also be set higher to perhaps even 100%, to give the (illussion?) of HDR ?! I am not sure yet if this monitor is true HDR 10 bit, but I will find out soon, by creating an opengl pixelformat and a nice big fat gradient of at least 1024 reds, greens and blues and then compare that to RGB 0 to 256 colors.

To make RGB/SDR mode look almost if not equal as good as HDR, simply set brightness to 100% and contrast to 100%. However it becomes noticeable that whites turn yellow, and some grays turn reddish... so some color adjustment seems necessary after all in nvidia control panel if running with these maximum settings. I am not sure what the effects of this would be long term... but so far I like what I am seeing at max settings, much better.

Associate
Here are my latest settings I am going to roll with for now:

1. Windows 11 Settings

1.1 Display HDR off (This also seems to avoid dimming a lot more)

2. Monitor Settings
2.1 Monitor brightness 100%
2.2 Monitor contrast 100%

2. Go to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Color Settings:

Red Channel:
Brightness: 42%
Gamma: 0.9

Green Channel:

Blue Channel:
Brightness: 60%
Contrast: 52%
Gamma: 1.00

Note I have no color callibration tools, I do this purely on eye sight, though a while ago I also compared it to laptop screens, but I kinda know or think I know what windows 11 grays are supposed to look like.

So far I kinda like what I am seeing, I might tone down the brigthness and/or contrast in the future, but for now I want to see what it is like.

The benefit of these settings is that any artifacts in video outputs/codec or graphics is and should become more apperently, so for those that want to see true details and work on perfection, these settings are a lot better than hiding artifacts in darkness/contrast ! ;) :)

The down side of this is Starwars Battlefront 2 whites look like blue. Not sure if this is a Battlefront 2 issue/bug or if this is HDR problems... later I will find out. World of Warships looks fantastic though...

So if one wants the best of two worlds, then one would have to use "two color profiles" one for SDR/RGB content and one for HDR content. Bye for now. The current nvidia driver is producing bad artifacts/black pixels in this starwars game, this game is quite buggy, but driver could be buggy too, strange. NVIDIA should definetly have a look at it.

Last edited:
Associate
I found a much better setting which solves all of the problems for SDR and HDR:

1. Go into monitor settings.

2. Select Color

3. Select Color Temp.

!!! 4. Select User Mode !!!

5. Make sure all R, G, B settings are at max 100.

Keep NVIDIA Control Panel at defaults:

6. Go to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Color Settings:

Red Channel:

Green Channel:

Blue Channel:
Gamma: 1.00

7. Monitor Brightness 90%

8. Monitor Contrast 80%

The cool thing is brightness and contrast could be set higher without deforming the colors. So set contrast and brightness to your liking.

For now I will keep these default settings for brightness and contrast and see how this user mode colors affect world of warships and battlefront, already tested starwars battlefront 2, the white was white and not blue hehe.

Amazing how such a simple user setting makes such a difference... pretty weird.

One further setting to take into account:

9. Monitor setting: DCI-P3

(I think this mode will be good for RGB but also allow HDR ?! I am right ?! ;) :))

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Associate
Another setting to consider in HDR mode is:

Color->Color Temp->10000K

Even though color might seem disabled, it's still possible to set this, this will make the whites a little brighter, the yellows a little brighter... it certainly has less color deformations when displaying RGB gradients on screen while HDR is on.

I have a lot more testing to do so far these settings seem best, though 10000K does make it washed out a bit... so then one has to choose between darker HDR and less washed out or brighter HDR and a bit washed out...

Not sure yet which I prefer probably brighter, the darkness bothers me a little bit in Delphi development environment... the whiteness wash is a little bothersome in youtube-ing but not to bad.

For now turning off HDR in windows 11 looks best.

So let games turn on HDR when needed.

These settings keep SDR and HDR looking the closest...

Associate
My final settings will be monitor brightness 95, monitor contrast 90. This is very beautifull. I do notice a little bit of eye-strain though, maybe need to get use to it, or maybe this a bit much and need to tune it down in future ! ;) :)

Last edited:
Associate
Here is a TestApplication which displays all RGB values.

TestApplication.exe for Windows.

The first screen displays reds horizontally, greens vertically, and blues through the animation.

It mixes them all together to display all colors.

It turned out to be quite a usefull program to diagnose any color deformations.

However testing bright whites and deep blacks should be done with other programs/youtube/edge/webbrowsers/ms paint.

I will try to reproduce this test application for HDR too :)

For now no speed controls, but by resizing the window the speed can be changed to see how monitors behave under those conditions.

Also somewhat usefull for testing color changes.

There should be no banding or very little, if you see lots of squares or banding then as far as I am concerned the settings somewhere are wrong (or the monitor is bad LOL) ! ;) :)

On my PG42UQ I see a little bit of banding with this application. I uploaded it so I can re-download it on other computers/laptops and will continue testing the app there to see how the colors look on older computers.

I would not be surprised if the older computers display it better... though I just watched some nice HDR movies in youtube I think and I was happy as F :)

(Old HP L670 laptop tested, while the gradient looks smoother it can clearly be seen that the colors on the laptop are much more washed out and don't hit the intense reds and intense greens that this OLED monitor is capable of ! ;) =D)
(Also the whites/greys on the laptop looks more yellowish, like old paper that lied in the sun too much... )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom